New 2015 Titanium - how to make navigation always show in the dashboard screen?

My sister is the proud owner of a new 2015 Escape Titanium fully loaded (minus moonroof, she has zero use for it :P).

The screen in the dashboard between the tachometer and speedometer is capable of showing the next GPS turn while driving. I enable this by going to Settings->Display and selecting Navigation, using the left D-pad on the steering wheel.

However, every time the car is shut off, the navigation option is automatically de-selected. I have to dig back into the settings and enable it every time I start the car.

I've owned a 2013 Fusion Hybrid with nav for over a year now, so I am quite experienced with MyFordTouch for the most part. However, in the Escape it's a little different because there's only one screen in the dashboard whereas the Fusion has 2 screens, so I'm slightly lost there.

This is quite bewildering and frustrating. Does anyone know how to force this to always be on?

Probably because you don't have a route set in. Try setting a destination and see if it comes back. But once the trip is completed, there are no turns to show.

That's the thing, I set in a route and the guidance failed to show in the centre display. I was also expecting the display to show your current street and direction if no route is set in - guess the Escape doesn't do that.

My sister lives on the other side of the continent, so I don't have access to the car myself anymore (was only in town for a week and now am back home), but I'll tell her to try again.

From what I remember, it listed the distance and direction of turn with the street name in the display. It popped up on the right side of the center screen. I don't remeber setting anything to get that.

I've found a ton of info on YouTube. in fact even the dealer recommended it.