Has Ford widened the recall for the faulty PS Bolts?

Dave-S

When this announcement was first made I thought it included just those cars sold in areas where they would be subjected to salt spray.

This morning I logged onto the Sync My Ride web site and I see my car is now included in the recall. I live in South Carolina so didn't expect to be included. So is the recall widened to include all Ford Fusions regardless of where they were sold? Incidentally I didn't receive a recall notice in the mail for this either.

Thanks for posting the PDF. The vehicles affected in that recall, as described in the PDF is a bit confusing and is contradictory (or so it seems).

First it states : AFFECTED VEHICLES (Not registered in corrosion states which are covered under Safety Recall 15S14)

And then it states: REASON FOR THIS REGIONAL PROGRAM In some of the affected vehicles, when operated in high-corrosion environments associated with road salt use, one or more of the three steering gear motor bolts may fracture due to corrosion. If this occurs, it may result in a loss of power steering assist, increasing the risk of a crash.

My vehicle is not registered in a "corrosion" state so that first statement seems to imply that it would pertain to my vehicle. But the second statement would seem to indicate mine would not be affected by the recall since it is regional and applies to rust belt cars.

Oh well, looks like the recall notices are going out now so I'll just wait until I get it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the PDF. The vehicles affected in that recall, as described in the PDF is a bit confusing and is contradictory (or so it seems).

First it states : AFFECTED VEHICLES (Not registered in corrosion states which are covered under Safety Recall 15S14)

And then it states: REASON FOR THIS REGIONAL PROGRAM In some of the affected vehicles, when operated in high-corrosion environments associated with road salt use, one or more of the three steering gear motor bolts may fracture due to corrosion. If this occurs, it may result in a loss of power steering assist, increasing the risk of a crash.

My vehicle is not registered in a "corrosion" state so that first statement seems to imply that it would pertain to my vehicle. But the second statement would seem to indicate mine would not be affected by the recall since it is regional and applies to rust belt cars.

Oh well, looks like the recall notices are going out now so I'll just wait until I get it.

My Aunt has a 2013 Fusion in Ohio and she got a recall letter a few weeks ago for her bolts and had the bolts replaced, a friend of hers had his fail in Ohio before the recall. I just got my letter for my 2013 and since I live in Virginia it said that since I live in a low salt state there was no recall for my vehicle, but that I do have a free one-time replacement for the affected parts if it should fail. I'm guessing that you'll probably get the letter that I got.

Just to clarify, please note the following IF YOUR CAR IS NOT REGISTERED IN A RUST BELT STATE. I live in South Carolina and I just got my recall and it states the following:

"Our records indicate that your vehicle is not registered in a state where road salt is frequently used and therefore is not subject to the safety recall. However we want to inform you that your vehicle is eligible for a free, one time repair of the power steering gear under the Regional Customer Satisfaction Program (15R01)."

So I can get this taken care of if I so choose but it is not mandatory.