CR: Buick Envision disappointing

fuzzymoomoo

To me, crossovers for the most part combine the least desirable aspects of SUVs (ungainly handling and even more ungainly styling) with the least desirable aspects of station wagons (limited towing and off road capabilities).

What's worse, the current proliferation of crossovers has resulted in automotive OEMs devoting fewer resources to passenger cars, including station wagons. Jeff Sabatini of Car and Driver stated, "...we’ve had it with boring-looking, boring-driving slugs that squeeze interesting cars off the corporate product plan. Who will save the car from the crossover? It is up to you and me."

In Buick's case, adding the "boring-looking, boring-driving" Envision to the brand's lineups in the U.S. and China is unfavorable to the possibility that the stunning Avista concept that debuted at NAIAS 2016 will make it into production as Buick's "halo" car.

Crossovers also give a consumer more room than a wagon and they do handle better than an SUV. Most people don't even off road or tow trailers with an SUV and the CUV is more fuel efficient. Wagons aren't the best looking cars and most aren't performance models, and they don't offer the room the CUV does.

like you, I'm not a great fan of the CUV either, but they do have their place and most families think they are perfect for their needs.

If I ran an auto company, I'd place an emphasis on designing crossover models too. I'd also let wagons die off and offer compacts as hatchbacks with an AWD option so even they can appear crossover-ish to some. You really need to put the development resources into the segments people want. Besides, like the Edge, XT5 (yes I like the Caddy) and F-Pace, there are some pretty sweet looking crossovers.