Is your plant non smoking?

Pipefitter

I guess our plant (Sandusky) is to become non smoking (designated break rooms only) the first of the year.

I was thinking that was a contract item?

What are the rules in your plant?

LR claims it has something to do with the insurance rating and OHSA recommendations. I only half read the memo so I don't really know for sure.

My best guess is that some management will pretend not to some see smokers and some will jump at the chance to write violators up. Another way to thin the heard. A smokers will probably have to initate legal action if they want it changed. I think smoking is a nasty killer but I think the company could have at least given us 6 months notice.

Edited by Blowfish

Saline, Michigan plant became 'smoking in designated areas' about eleven years ago. Two years ago the county passed an ordinance banning smoking in all businesses except restaurants and bars. So we are smoke free now.

As with Saline, Rawsonville became smoke free at the same time, same county.

LR claims it has something to do with the insurance rating and OHSA recommendations. I only half read the memo so I don't really know for sure.

My best guess is that some management will pretend not to some see smokers and some will jump at the chance to write violators up. Another way to thin the heard. A smokers will probably have to initate legal action if they want it changed. I think smoking is a nasty killer but I think the company could have at least given us 6 months notice.

If it is a true health / insurance / air quality concern, that's fine if they are willing to address the Carbon Dust, Lethal Molten Plastic Fumes, and Glue and adhesives Fumes. Our plant is so full of all that crap in the air.

If it is truly a health concern lets have the plant air analyzed and eliminate air bourne health hazards starting with the worst and work our way down?

I'm sure cigarette smoke is probably the lowest air bourne health hazard in our plant.

Has any one seen an MSDS sheet for any, or a single type of plastic, carbon, glue ect. we use, and what the health hazard ratings are for breathing the fumes of those plastic materials as it changes to a molten state?

If it is a true health / insurance / air quality concern, that's fine if they are willing to address the Carbon Dust, Lethal Molten Plastic Fumes, and Glue and adhesives Fumes. Our plant is so full of all that crap in the air.

If it is truly a health concern lets have the plant air analyzed and eliminate air bourne health hazards starting with the worst and work our way down?

I'm sure cigarette smoke is probably the lowest air bourne health hazard in our plant.

Has any one seen an MSDS sheet for any, or a single type of plastic, carbon, glue ect. we use, and what the health hazard ratings are for breathing the fumes of those plastic materials as it changes to a molten state?

Everything industrial substance that Ford by extension Sandusky uses has an MSDS. I was concerned about the carbon dust so I looked up that one. The MSDS basically said the high activity carbon pellets was harmless no special handling required. The MSDS probably assumes that all the carbon remains bonded and that nothing escapes even at the molecular level. If you believe that piece of paper, employees are imagining the black buggers when they blow/pick their noses. Carbon black has been known to cause Black Lung Disease (click for info). So if you have respiratory problems later in life, you might want to mention this to your doctor.

As for the glue, all application stations should have vented hoods. The different plastics (ABS, PC, ect..) all have MSDSs too. However those sheets assume that its being processed correctly and isn't scorched outside the operating parameters.

Smokers won't win this battle. The argument "everything in the plant kills you" never works. The regulators may not know all about the work place but they think they know everything about cigarrettes. Cigs would already be banned now if they weren't a serious form a tax revenue.