1990 F-150 trims...

lio45

Hello!

I happen to have a F-150 now (not my first nor last Ford, BTW), and just as usual, the acquisition of a new vehicle has triggered in me a deep need to know EVERYTHING about it, its history and past owners, options, etc. (hey, I'm an enthusiast, what do you expect?) ;)

So, I'm puzzled by a little something and I suppose only an expert on F-series of these years would know the answer... but again, I imagine it's the kind of person I can find here (hopefully).

I thought trims back then went as follows: Custom < XL < XLT < Lariat. But my F-150 is sporting two apparently conflicting badges, both of which seem to have been placed there at the factory (can't be sure, of course). The VIN decodes as "XL".

My existential question is, which trim is it? I would trust the VIN, of course, but the dashboard "Custom" badge seems totally factory stock, while I would not trust the XL fender badge as much (looks like it might have been replaced/put there/messed with at some point - it's not perfectly in place and straight). Also, the truck really feels like a base truck: no A/C, no cruise, bench, reg cab, manual tranny, and a seemingly stock steering wheel that could have been pulled out of an early 1970s base-model fullsize Ford. I would bet it's the most basic model of the food chain, although it does have the 5.0 and 4x4 (probably the two only options unless AM/FM/tape player was one too?).

Evidence:

2006_0910_0002.jpg

2006_0910_0001.jpg

What would be your verdict?

My personal guess would be that "Custom" and "XL" were merged as the base model somewhere in the late 1980s... that'd perfectly explain the two badges, the VIN, and the base model character of the truck... But it's only a guess.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time... I'll keep searching until I get an answer, but an expert's help would of course be much appreciated. :)

Update:

I've decided to test the VIN decoder I was using... and it "failed".

The test was simple: I found F-150s on eBay and used their VINs to see what trim level would come out of the decoder... basically, every '90-'91 F-150 is an XL according to that decoder... including at least two truck that were XLT Lariats without the shadow of a doubt (i.e. well-maintained, original-looking with proper badging everywhere and all the interior goodies).

(BTW, the VIN decoder I was using: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/

Everything else is OK, it's only that bit of info that's bogus)

So, I'm dismissing the VIN-based fact that it's supposed to be an XL...

Besides, I've come across a F-150 with exterior XL badges this afternoon in a Home Depot parking. Closer inspection revealed a "XL F-series" dashboard badge and minor interior differences compared to mine (that one was clearly 1 rung above mine in the trim hierarchy). From the VIN, it was a 1990 model, just like mine...