Do Ford Bean Counters Know How to Count?

"But if U.S. auto sales run at a rate of 17 million units a year, Ford's share at 15% would be 2.55 million vehicles -- more than 1 million below its capacity. Adding in sales to Canada, Mexico and other nations would not push Ford's output much past 3 million units."

Apparently, a whole lot of people cant read.

Sales are down 25%. Capacity will be reduced 25%. Both now, 10 years ago and 10 years from now, capacity does/has/will exceed sales.

Besides the fact that the journalists asking the questions wouldn't know how to research the market the report on if they had a gun to their heads. Caluclating capacity and share and so forth isn't as simple as saying 17MM x 0.15.

I think the problem is the speech writers not putting in a more moronic tone so the armchair dumbshits might figure it out without a roadmap.

How come Toyota can do it? They are running OVER capacity.

LINK

and what happens when they have a line shut down for an hour?

And looky, looky. Lots of overtime. That comes at a cost. Ford doesnt have the luxury of making customers wait 4 months for a car like Toyota does.

Running AT capacity is a poor business decision.

Edited by J-150

Overtime IS still cheaper, why is this so hard to understand?

In the long run running OT is not cheaper. It is fact that a plant should not run at 100% capacity. You should have at least 3-5% excess or else you are asking for trouble. Toyota may be running plants at 100%+ but I gaurantee that is short term and not apart of their mid or long term plans. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

The media and investors love it because it shows strong demand but from a manufacturing standpoint it is NOT a sound practice.

In the long run running OT is not cheaper. It is fact that a plant should not run at 100% capacity. You should have at least 3-5% excess or else you are asking for trouble. Toyota may be running plants at 100%+ but I gaurantee that is short term and not apart of their mid or long term plans. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

The media and investors love it because it shows strong demand but from a manufacturing standpoint it is NOT a sound practice.

It is cheaper without a doubt. If you remember those BS numbers that we make anywhere from 61 to 80 dollars per hour it is based on a 40 hour work week. So if I make $30 an hour on my check, overtime would be $45 for time and a half and $60 for double time. After 40 hours they do not have to pay anything except social sercurity and medicare tax. Do the math it is cheaper to pay overtime. This is Ford's old way of doing bis long ago before the pretty people started running the show.

It is cheaper without a doubt. If you remember those BS numbers that we make anywhere from 61 to 80 dollars per hour it is based on a 40 hour work week. So if I make $30 an hour on my check, overtime would be $45 for time and a half and $60 for double time. After 40 hours they do not have to pay anything except social sercurity and medicare tax. Do the math it is cheaper to pay overtime. This is Ford's old way of doing bis long ago before the pretty people started running the show.

it is also a fact that productivity goes down drastically after 8 hours daily and 40 hours weekly.

This translates into additional defects if line speeds are kept constant. From a variable worker cost, yes its cheaper but you also need to factor in warranty claim costs, injury costs, etc.

COnstant overtime is NOT cheaper and there are many HR/accounting studies that confirm that

There are more things involved in calculating the cost of running a plant at capacity then OT. As mentioned productivity is drastically reduced when a plant runs at capacity and so does quality. To calcualate wages as the only cost is grossly underestimating the costs of running at capacity.