FORDand GM merge

crackhead

The only one in their right minds that would buy Ford would be a Chinese manufacturer. With government backing from China, one of the larger companies could gain an instant global footprint and recognition. You think the Japanese are long term planners, the Chinese think even further out. Kiss the Blue Oval goodbye and say hello to the Red Oval.

The only one in their right minds that would buy Ford would be a Chinese manufacturer. With government backing from China, one of the larger companies could gain an instant global footprint and recognition. You think the Japanese are long term planners, the Chinese think even further out. Kiss the Blue Oval goodbye and say hello to the Red Oval.

really? I bethca Carlos would love to buy Ford. Keep the F150, Econoline, Expedition, Mustang and kill everything else. Hell, Toyota and Honda could benefit from the same idea.

Lind of like Chrysler buying AMC to get Jeep.

I don't think they are merging companies as much as they might come to some agreement on a co-owned company to do R&D on drivetrains, engines, future fuel sources and engines to run on them, etc. All of that is expensive and being duplicated right now. The Japenese don't do much R&D, they just refine our/Europes ideas as there own. I think this could be a big cost savings to both companies.

I also think it is a very smart idea which scares me... Ford/GM...smart... in the same sentence... scary.

The antitrust laws would not allow it.

Antitrust or competition laws are laws which prohibit anti-competitive behavior and unfair business practices. The laws make illegal certain practices deemed to hurt businesses or consumers or both, or generally to violate standards of ethical behavior. Government agencies known as competition regulators regulate antitrust laws, and may also be responsible for regulating related laws dealing with consumer protection.

how exactly would ford/gm merger be antitrust? they arent the only 2 car companies and obviously not the cheapest selling companies.

A Chevy built Mustang?

:sos:

:soapbox:

that was said in the context of another automaker seeing Ford as a valuable takeover target. There are some very attractive jewels in the company (like Jeep for AMC)

Shit, the F-Series would pay for any buyout costs to Honda or Renault/Nissan.

Yea, and go to your local Wal-Mart to order your new vehicle..

At least Ford would get rid of their crappy dealer network