Order vs Buy off lot

KansasHawk

4 minutes ago, KansasHawk said:

I purchased and the dealer wasn't negotiating much on price so I just used x-plan. 

That's surprising.  If the dealer wasn't negotiating on price then they most likely wouldn't accept X plan either which is just above dealer invoice.  They do get a spiff check from Ford for each sale so that helps a little.

And everyone should remember that the dealer can accept or not accept X plan on any vehicle - it's voluntary.

Hi gang. I've found that ever since Ford changed the X-Plan pricing structure, allowed the $100 Documentation fee etc, it is possible to negotiate a better deal than X-Plan pricing nowadays. Not all the time, but definitely sometimes.

Also, for those who have a Costco membership, their buyers plan can offer better pricing than X-Plan. I know that from personal experience. Other buyer plans may be similar.

And even better, for those with access to X-Plan and other buyer plans, you can use them as leverage to negotiate a better price than even the any of the plans offer. Again, I know that from personal experience. And keep in mind, it is up to individual dealerships as to what Plans they will accept, even X-Plan, as akirby stated.

All of that being said, everything depends on the particular vehicle and individual circumstances at the time. For a new, in demand vehicle like the Aviator, negotiating options will be more limited. Also depends on how much you want to nork to save. Sooner or later, price negotiations become a sure case of diminishing returns.

As far as order or buy, I always factory order my cars, ever since my first new car in 1976. In this way, I get exactly what I want, in the color I want.  No settling for missing or extra options I did not really want but had to take because it was all they had on the lot or could trade for from another dealership.

Plus, my new car came fresh off the truck from the factory. No strangers test drove it, gently or hard. No ice cream covered kids dripping all over the interior...lolololol. Plus, it gives me time to privately sell my old car, instead of taking a trade-in beating. And it removes the trade-in price variable that Dealers like to use in price negotiations.  In addition, I have always been able to sell my old car for quite a bit more than the trade-in offer, even including the sales tax hit. Thousands of dollars, in some cases.

For me, factory ordering is all pros and no cons. But I do realize every situation will vary, so everyone must do what is best for their own circumstances. Some people need the car now and can not wait. Others my hate negotiating for the new car or selling their car privately. So I wish the best to everyone in their own circumstances

Hope this basic information will help and good luck.