Moving With Foot on the Brake

Hello all,

I have a 2020 Aviator but chose to post here hoping I would get more replies/information. I just opened a case with Lincoln as my Aviator is having quite a few issues. Anyway I’ll get to the point, have any of you with a 2020 Explorer had the car move by itself with your foot on the brake when transferring from Park to Drive/Reverse? On several occasions my Aviator has done this and it moves about 3’ before coming to a stop. Of course the dealership couldn’t duplicate this—it’s an infrequent occurrence, but a serious safety issue. I don’t want the next time to be when a person or car, building etc is in front of or behind me when this happens and then it’s just my word that “it wasn’t me, it was my car.”

That sounds crazy and I've never heard of something like this before-not even like the Audi 5000 problem-which I think turned out to be driver error. At the very least, maybe engage the electric parking brake for safety?  All this data is stored in the ECM, in case something ever happened to protect you. 

Good Luck-KK

Dealership could find no anomalies with the braking system or transmission. I also received an error message for the air suspension but when they ran diagnostics no codes were generated. They also attribute my driveline vibration to “big wheels,” I want to love this car but 7 months in and all of these issues are driving me crazy. 

Several Explorers have had the same issue.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/brake-issue.483026/

Vibration could be striving (drive shaft) or bad wheel balancing.  Have them road force balance each tire.  There should be no vibration from "big wheels".  I have 21s on my ST and it drives very smooth.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Explorer forum had a lot of complaints about the brakes. Someone said if they vary the level of brake pedal pressure when starting/shifting, it wouldn't cause the issue (light pressure). If they applied heavy pressure when starting/shifting, it would cause the problem. These issues make me hesitant to buy the 2021 Explorer ST...

• 3 weeks later...