Escape Hybrid driving impressions

When you press the start button, there is no sound at all other than a green message on display saying Ready.  Put it in gear and again no sound other than ghostly sound warning pedestrians that you are moving.

Drive down a residential street, and you will be in electric mode almost all the time up to a mile or so. Still haven't used a drop of gas and no emissions. Turn onto a faster thru way and still mostly in electric mode. Instrument display does great job of telling you what mode you are in and how many kw's you are using. Turn onto a major street and you still be in electric mode most of way. When you come to full stop, display will tell how much energy you captured.

For us, most daily round trips are 10-20 miles, and when you press the stop button, display will tell you time and length of trip, fuel mileage and how many miles in electric. Most trips are in 60 to 70 percent electric and 45-60mpg range. Pretty impressive.

For example, we have gone 200 miles on this 14 gallon tank so far, and still have 500 miles to empty according to fuel gauge and 3 quarter's of tank left. With Crosstrek, lucky to get 400 miles out of 16.9 gallon tank. Crosstrek did better on freeway getting about 32mpg most of time. In town about 25mpg. Escape gets over 45mpg in city driving. No comparison. Gas station is rare occurence in this vehicle. 

My wife used to have a Rav 4 and couldn't stand the buzzy 4 cylinder, tire noise even on new tires, and fuel mileage was not as good as Crosstrek. She loves this new Escape having been a Toyota fan for decades. Rav 4 had 13+ recalls in it's time with us. Crosstrek had 1 and my Taurus had 1 in 15 years. My Porsche cost me $3,000 for a new IMS bearing/clutch just to sell it. 

So I would certainly recommend Escape Hybrid to anyone interested. I've read a little bit about a control module issue and going into limp mode which is concerning. So far no problem so far. Keepin my fingers crossed. The Crosstrek was problem free other than brake light harness recall. 

• Like 2

No, paint guy. The plug-in is not out yet. This is just the hybrid. Living in central Florida the last three years, the year around temp is perfect for hybrid batteries. A hard freeze is rare event here. Even in January, the average high is 71 degrees. No hard freeze this winter. Hybrid battery should live longer than me.

• Like 1