Direction that KIA is heading.....

Ovaltine

norm_0_orig.jpg

2006 Kia Cee'd Concept (Cerato/and ultimately a Spectra replacement)

http://www.carpages.ca/go/conceptcars/2006...ed_concept.aspx

"This new C-segment is geared to replace Kia's Spectra, which is essentially a slightly improved version of the Hyundai Elantra. The Spectra enhanced styling, offered slightly

better ride quality and handling dynamics, a marginally roomier interior, but in essence, the Kia is more or less the same car under the skin - a common trend among Kias and Hyundais since the latter automaker purchased the former.

This future Spectra replacement, the c'eed, or whatever Kia will finally call it, moves Kia's C-segment styling up a notch or two, and in the process will no doubt also improve on other aspects of the package as well. After all, a car that looks this sporty would have to be fun to drive and must pack at least some punch under the hood.

Although Kia has the c'eed concept focused on the European market, all we

need to do is look at the Spectra, which also debuted first in Europe under its Cerato nameplate, to realize something very similar to the c'eed will also likely appear here in North America.

And it would be surprising if a Spectra bearing the same design language as the c'eed didn't do well on this side of the Atlantic. It is sporty, stylish and could easily become the next hot "tuner" for import fans to tinker with. Kia would like that.

C'mon, wouldn't you buy a Kia if the next Spectra looked like this? Kia would like that too."

Cee'd Website

http://www.kia4u.de/modelle/ceed/

Interior:

http://www.kia4u.de/modelle/ceed/images/downloads/29.jpg

http://www.kia4u.de/modelle/ceed/images/downloads/24.jpg

http://www.kia4u.de/modelle/ceed/images/downloads/28.jpg

Exterior:

http://www.kia4u.de/modelle/ceed/images/downloads/17.jpg

http://www.kia4u.de/modelle/ceed/images/downloads/15.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

It's a pretty decent looking car, although I must admit I really like the Mazda 3 hatchback. Great little car. Seriously considering that one.

Edited by Sixcav

If you love Korea that much, why not just move there?

I enjoy looking at, driving, and discussing nice cars. When Ford finally gets off it's a-- and brings over some vehicles that look the ones on this page: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Doff%26sa%3DG

THEN I'll be happy to test drive and discuss the small Fords in a positive light.

And the age-old excuse of "Ford CAN'T build the European Focus over here because it'll be too expensive" :cry: AIN'T gonna cut it from here on out. If that's the case, then Ford WILL have to build it in Mexico, so they can compete in the North American market "mano a mano".

Any further attempts to force feed iterations of the current small crapboxes to Americans are going to fail when the competition's coming down the pike with things like I posted above.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

-Ovaltine

CEE'D - is not Spectra replacement .. it wil sell along the Spectra in europe, and US will never see it .

I am not too critical of the car - it gives a lot of people in Slovakia - my home country - good work, but you are being way too much of a blind cheerleader on this .. I think the only person who suprasses you is Richard .. even me, Zanat and other guys who often do have kind words about Ford are not this blind.

The CEE'D is a nice car - a blatant Mazda3 hatch ripoff - but a nice car nontheless. It is being built in Europe, not Korea (mostly because EU unlike US DOES have import tariffs on Asian goods), and the factory pays well.

But it is still only mediocre for that market - the C1 Focus, Mazda3, Astra, Megane, C4, Golf/Jetta, Grande Punto, EU Civic all outclass it by features the Koreans do not even dream of yet - for now they are still what they have always been - CHEAP HIGH VALUE CARS - they will remain such for quite some time.

Igor

Very nice car, but awful name.

Spectra to Cee'd? They've gone to ultra-generic to overly artsy very fast. A car's name is important.

Ass-tek.

Pee'd.

Mercury Mistake, I mean Mystique. lol

Edited by Sixcav

Have you supported your local terrorist lately? You are by buying anything produced in South Korea.

How about free trade, there Ovaltine?

I suspect that the South's trade with the North has a little something to do with keeping them stable (read: on life support) just enough to discourage the North from hauling a-- over the border and taking the South's prosperity from them. Check this exchange out:

South Korea's challenge - Easing Asia's tensions

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/view...ts/s1719690.htm

"But isn't it a problem that countries in the region, and the United States, are not speaking with one voice on what action to take with North Korea? For example, Japan was very critical of North Korea's recent testing and then South Korea was critical of Japan for being critical of North Korea.

I think basically the whole international community, including South Korea and Japan, are of the same position, the same view, that the North Korean missile test firing was an act of provocation undermining the peace and security on the Korean Peninsula in north-east Asia.

We fully understand the concerns shared by the Japanese people and government about this kind of act of provocation by North Korea. The only difference of opinion may be how to address this issue. The presumptuous remarks by responsible Japanese politicians about the so-called pre-emptive strike against North Korea really caused a great alarm to us. That kind of scenario may have a very serious negative impact on the situation and stability on the Korean Peninsula. Not only the Korean Peninsula, in fact the whole area in the region."

---------------------------------

Your freetrade issue is a valid point however. I agree that it would be nice if all the automotive markets were as open as ours around the world. Under that situation, U.S. designed (and built?) products would be more accessible if they were truly competitive or superior to the local iron. I am NOT against the government leaning on those countries via GATT, WTO, etc. to make that happen.

But keep in mind..... blind nationalistic purchasing habits can ONLY be worn down by a.) as good or superior design and quality, and b.) superior value and pricing.

The Asians are growing by leaps and bounds in not only the U.S., but (gasp) Europe too, using this formula! And... they're setting up domestic manufacturing plants in Europe too. Just like Marysville. Just like Smyrna. Just like Montgomery. Just like Tuscaloosa County. Just like Georgetown. Just like..... You get the picture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3116180.stm

And a more recent article:

The Ford brand alone has declined from 11.3% to 8.3%—stripping 241,000 cars from total sales. Even with popular new models hitting the market, the Ford brand continues to slowly ebb market share in Europe as Asian rivals such as Toyota and Kia make steady gains. In the first eight months of 2006, the squeeze continued: Ford brand sales were down 4 percent.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/cont...opStories_ssi_5

Whatever the Toyotas and KIAs of the world are doing, Ford needs to figure it out and get on board with it.

Korea's and Japan's closed markets can't be the ONLY reason companies like this are flourishing.

--------------------------------

Here's an interesting article talking about the growth of imports in South Korea. Info about Ford and it's satellites comprise a large part of the article:

The Seoul Times - Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Growth Continues in Import Car Sales

http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=3010

South Korea's imported car market is forecast to grow 15 percent in 2006 to 34,500 units, the association said. Ford Motor, in the midst of restructuring its workforce in the United States, looks at South Korea as one of several key strategic markets despite hardship back home. Its focus on the Korean market is indicated by the company's car-unveiling plan here in 2006.

The world's third-largest automotive group, with brands such as Lincoln, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo, will launch 22 new mew models here. The figure of 22 is equivalent to 27.5 percent of the total, or 80 models, projected to be imported here. "Ford has no plan to cut the payroll in Korea. We (Ford Korea) have seen sales growing fast since last July," a company spokesman said. Ford Korea sold more than 500 units of the Five Hundred sedans over the past several months.

More Variety of Cars

The New Mondeo sedan of Ford unit, unveiled in January, is attracting a variety of motorists with its stylish design and price of about 27 million won ($28,000). The main unit of the group will launch three more models, including the Freestyle crossover vehicle (sport utility type + wagon type) slated for late February, this year. Affiliate Lincoln showcased the LS V8 sedan on Feb. 1. Ford Motor's British and Swedish units — Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo — are also active in marketing in Korea compared to past years.

Jaguar, which unveiled the X-type 2.1 in January, plans to launch another sedan, XJ 3.0 SWB, on Feb. 13. It will begin selling four more new models, such as XJ Daimler and New XK Convertible, during the second and third quarter. Land Rover, which captures a great portion of imported sport utility vehicle (SUV) market here, will showcase the Range Rover Sport V8 in April and four more models in November.

Volvo Car Korea is leading the enhanced sales. It unveiled four models, including two sedans and two SUVs, last month and is aiming to introduce two more in April and May. The Premier Automotive Group (PAG) Korea, a combined dealer of the three European cars, is pushing for opening of sales branches nationwide under the management of CEO Lee Hyang-lim.

Ford Motor's challenge in Korea could be likened to that of General Motors, the world's largest but struggling carmaker. Despite the parent GM's cash flow crisis in the U.S., GM Korea will launch nine models of three units _ Cadillac (two models), Chevrolet (one) and Saab (six) _ this year. Volvo occupied the No. 1 spot in sales of tax-free cars to foreigners in South Korea among 21 imported brands here last year, beating BMW and Lexus.

-------------------------

Granted.... the numbers discussed above are small, but the total annual sales in South Korea is small by North American standards too, just 1.13 million last year (see: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../601030326/1148 )

So I guess it's a start for them opening their markets. Time will tell.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that withOUT competition, our automotive choices would consist of the modern day descendants of THESE automotive mouth-breathers:

pinto-74.jpg

maverick-eua-70.jpg

2f_1.JPG

1971_chevy_vega.JPG

81citation-1.jpg

325px-PlymouthReliant1987.jpg

79Aspen1.jpg

-Ovaltine

Very nice car, but awful name.

Spectra to Cee'd? They've gone to ultra-generic to overly artsy very fast. A car's name is important.

Ass-tek.

Pee'd.

I agree with you on this one. I'd hope they'd continue with the Spectra name, OR at least come up with something that people aren't going to butcher when attempting to pronounce.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

CEE'D - is not Spectra replacement .. it wil sell along the Spectra in europe, and US will never see it .

But it is still only mediocre for that market - the C1 Focus, Mazda3, Astra, Megane, C4, Golf/Jetta, Grande Punto, EU Civic all outclass it by features the Koreans do not even dream of yet - for now they are still what they have always been - CHEAP HIGH VALUE CARS - they will remain such for quite some time.

Igor:

How can you be sure that the US won't see the Cee'd or something very similar? Do you work or subcontract for Hyundai/KIA? Just curious. I read that when either South Korea (or KIA's new Georgia plant) retools, a similar vehicle will make it here.

And as for your statement: "...they are still what they have always been - CHEAP HIGH VALUE CARS - they will remain such for quite some time."

What's so wrong with that premise? That's what attracted me to the Spectra in the FIRST place! My car has ALL the features I could possibly want or need in a car for a very attractive price.

Things like:

6 speaker CD player

alloy wheels

4-wheel disc brakes

A/C

fog lights

power window

power door locks

tilt wheel

map lights

ground illumination lights on doors

remote trunk and gas door releases

keyless entry FOB

intermittent wipers

rear defrost

split folding rear seat back

illuminated ignition ring

heated and foldable power color-keyed exterior mirrors

tachometer

map lights

auto-off headlights

rear spoiler

power moonroof

carpeted floormats

cruise control

automatic transmission

painted dual color pinstripes

KIA mud flaps

standard side airbags

Just because other brands create cars with LCD roof panels and other hokey stuff doesn't warrant me paying $20-22k+ for a car when one like mine (that has features that would have shamed a Lincoln of the 1980's) for well under $15k totally meets my needs.

This picture of the Cee'ds "cheap" and "high value" interior sure appeals to me!

http://www.kia4u.de/modelle/ceed/images/downloads/29.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Igor:

How can you be sure that the US won't see the Cee'd or something very similar? Do you work or subcontract for Hyundai/KIA? Just curious. I read that when either South Korea (or KIA's new Georgia plant) retools, a similar vehicle will make it here.

And as for your statement: "...they are still what they have always been - CHEAP HIGH VALUE CARS - they will remain such for quite some time."

What's so wrong with that premise? That's what attracted me to the Spectra in the FIRST place! My car has ALL the features I could possibly want or need in a car for a very attractive price.

-Ovaltine

- I have not heard of the platform to such details, but European press was pointing out that the Cee'd was Europe only vehicle - the platform - MIGHT (I have no info) be used elsewhere - but the car is Europe Only.

- the other point - well that is the difference between you and me - you drive a Spectra for about 15k. I drive a fully loaded Mazda3 with Xenon headlamps, TPMS, and other goodies that I bought used for almost 18k. And even with it being almost fully loaded, I wish it had the other 2 options: navigation and leathe rseats, and I wish Mazda offered the following options: LED tails, heated and cooled seats, Bluetooth, and some others (I have started adding some of these features myself). This is what I am looking for in my cars - a lot of creature comforts - but I do not want a large car.

I am European - and believe you me - that is how most people there think - they want the amenities they want, but they still have the tiny parking spot they have always had, so larger car is undesirable. that is why you are stating to see European B-cars with projector headlamps, navigation and bluetooth - even the traditional Compacts are too big for many people - especially yougn people with no kids - but they still want their luxuries, and are willing to pay for them.

I am not saying Kia will fail - the value proposition is a valid one - but that does not make the Kia any better car than others on the market - from my perspective - it makes it worse - it does not offer what I want.

In US - I see 2 - 3 classes of compacts.

The class leaders are Mazda3 and the Civic - they offer the amenities, they are state of the art.

Corolla, Cobalt, Focus and Spectra are the second group - they are great cars, but they are far off the leaders in refinement, quality, options and IMO value. They do compete in PRICE - but their being outdated robs them of value.

If you want to have a third group below the second, the Daewoo sourced Suzukis place there - they are simply bad cars.

(rebadges and cousing are included with their counterparts).

So for you - obviously the fact that you get 6 airbags at $12k is important ... for me it is important that the Spetra dash is cheap, that is does not offer the refinement I am looking for, and that I can pay a couple grand extra and get something that will not make me feel like I sold myself short. The Cee'd does not seem to change that - especially given how much more advanced and demanding the EU smal-car market is.

Igor

' igor ' post='93486' date='Sep 25 2006, 10:34 PM']

I am not too critical of the car - it gives a lot of people in Slovakia - my home country - good work.....

Ahhhh..... THAT explains your name.

I was always under the impression that you were a fan of the Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kicker 5, along with their MONSTER hit, "The Monster Mash".

Here's the verse that I thought you took your name from:

"The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds

Igor on chains, backed by his baying hounds

The coffin-bangers were about to arrive

With their vocal group, "The Crypt-Kicker Five"

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_%22Boris%22_Pickett

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

dont think this thing will steal to many sales from ford but honda and toyota could see some of these biting them on the butt..but hell it looks good on them what comes around goes around..plus........with all these folks buying import brands and the big 3 closing plants there will be a snow ball effect thru the economy....then these import worshippers will see the toll in there service job etc gone too because folks that were involved in the big 3 .suppliers...part makers etc spin off industries will be laying off to.so........who is going to be buying anything.........and you folks better hope there is not a big war around the corner because you-ll be asking china or chavez in argentina to build your tanks because your home based industries :kuko: wont exist anymore...........just a thought

and you folks better hope there is not a big war around the corner because you-ll be asking china or chavez in argentina to build your tanks because your home based industries :kuko: wont exist anymore...........just a thought

Looks like it's already happening bud on the software front.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa...E7683414B7F0000

-Ovaltine

I was always under the impression that you were a fan of the Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kicker 5, along with their MONSTER hit, "The Monster Mash".

Here's the verse that I thought you took your name from:

"The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds

Igor on chains, backed by his baying hounds

The coffin-bangers were about to arrive

With their vocal group, "The Crypt-Kicker Five"

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_%22Boris%22_Pickett

-Ovaltine

nope .. my mama named me Igor - with such rare name, who needs nicknames.

Igor

Um... okay.

Why not throw in a Count Duckula reference in there too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_3bfkFB30

'Cause, really, that was an awesome show.

As for that new Spectra, I could take it or leave it. Doesn't particularly make me excited.

Have you supported your local terrorist lately? You are by buying anything produced in South Korea.

Two-way trade between North and South Korea, legalized in 1988, hit almost $1.1 billion in 2005. This total included a substantial quantity of non-trade goods provided to the North as aid (food, fertilizer, etc.) or as part of inter-Korean cooperative projects. According to R.O.K. figures, about 60% of the total trade consisted of commercial transactions, much of that based on processing-on-commission arrangements. The R.O.K. is North Korea’s second-largest trading partner.

Since this topic is fresh, this article caught my eye in the Toledo Blade:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...ION02/609260314

Article published Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Korean divide

THE kid-glove nature of the visit to Washington of South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun underlined the divergent approaches to developments in the Korean peninsula by the Seoul government and the Bush Administration.

At some point, the United States decided that a divided Germany was no longer in the U.S. interest and climbed on board the effort to reunite East and West. The context was different; that U.S. policy shift was in part an effort to pull East Germany away from the orbit of the Soviet Union.

Now, the U.S. effort to pull South Korea away from its chosen policy of trying to attract North Korea with honey rather than vinegar is retrograde. It resists what is likely to occur eventually in the Korean peninsula, and it is driven by U.S. political posture, as opposed to what may be in the best interests of the Koreans themselves.

The issue that the Bush Administration professes to be spun up about is North Korea's goal of developing its nuclear weapons capacity, coupled with distress in the face of the sometimes bizarre, militarized, potentially dangerous regime of Kim Jong Il in Pyongyang.

The current U.S. approach is to try to isolate North Korea and seek to employ various measures of isolation, including economic sanctions, to North Korean agreement to stop its nuclear weapons program.

That U.S. policy doesn't work, both because the Pyongyang regime realizes that its nuclear weapons are what attracts the world's attention to its otherwise uninteresting and unappealing situation and because the U.S. partners in the enterprise to get the North Koreans to cut it out - China, Japan, Russia, and South Korea - are not united or enthusiastic about applying heat to the Pyongyang government.

Mr. Roh's government believes instead that progress in resolving the problems of Korea can be more effectively achieved by making economic incentives to North Korea more reasonable. In taking that approach, he plays his country's high card, the material success that has made South Korea's economy the world's 11th largest.

What that got him in Washington was lunch with President Bush and not much attention.

Wouldn't it make more sense to encourage steps toward Korean reunification as a more effective way of tackling the North's nuclear aspirations? Such an effort could meld the North Korean anomaly with the larger, economically successful South Korea to produce a vigorous and unified Korea.

Germany continues to find it difficult, but no one could doubt now that a reunified Germany made total sense.

-Ovaltine

I suspect that the South's trade with the North has a little something to do with keeping them stable (read: on life support) just enough to discourage the North from hauling a-- over the border and taking the South's prosperity from them. Check this exchange out:

South Korea's challenge - Easing Asia's tensions

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/view...ts/s1719690.htm

"But isn't it a problem that countries in the region, and the United States, are not speaking with one voice on what action to take with North Korea? For example, Japan was very critical of North Korea's recent testing and then South Korea was critical of Japan for being critical of North Korea.

I think basically the whole international community, including South Korea and Japan, are of the same position, the same view, that the North Korean missile test firing was an act of provocation undermining the peace and security on the Korean Peninsula in north-east Asia.

We fully understand the concerns shared by the Japanese people and government about this kind of act of provocation by North Korea. The only difference of opinion may be how to address this issue. The presumptuous remarks by responsible Japanese politicians about the so-called pre-emptive strike against North Korea really caused a great alarm to us. That kind of scenario may have a very serious negative impact on the situation and stability on the Korean Peninsula. Not only the Korean Peninsula, in fact the whole area in the region."

---------------------------------

Your freetrade issue is a valid point however. I agree that it would be nice if all the automotive markets were as open as ours around the world. Under that situation, U.S. designed (and built?) products would be more accessible if they were truly competitive or superior to the local iron. I am NOT against the government leaning on those countries via GATT, WTO, etc. to make that happen.

But keep in mind..... blind nationalistic purchasing habits can ONLY be worn down by a.) as good or superior design and quality, and b.) superior value and pricing.

The Asians are growing by leaps and bounds in not only the U.S., but (gasp) Europe too, using this formula! And... they're setting up domestic manufacturing plants in Europe too. Just like Marysville. Just like Smyrna. Just like Montgomery. Just like Tuscaloosa County. Just like Georgetown. Just like..... You get the picture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3116180.stm

And a more recent article:

The Ford brand alone has declined from 11.3% to 8.3%—stripping 241,000 cars from total sales. Even with popular new models hitting the market, the Ford brand continues to slowly ebb market share in Europe as Asian rivals such as Toyota and Kia make steady gains. In the first eight months of 2006, the squeeze continued: Ford brand sales were down 4 percent.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/cont...opStories_ssi_5

Whatever the Toyotas and KIAs of the world are doing, Ford needs to figure it out and get on board with it.

Korea's and Japan's closed markets can't be the ONLY reason companies like this are flourishing.

--------------------------------

-Ovaltine

I agree with you on this one. I'd hope they'd continue with the Spectra name, OR at least come up with something that people aren't going to butcher when attempting to pronounce.

-Ovaltine

80amxPRpic.jpg Cool

89toyotacamrysedan.jpg uncool

79hondas.jpg wow! how exciting

84nissanmaxima.jpg LMFAO

80chevroletcitationx11.jpg better

70toyotacorolla.jpg

71buickskylark_gsconvertibl.jpg let see this or a 1970/71 corolla :shrug:

And most imports still look the same way BORING.

The early '80s Nissan/Datsun advertisements were basically over-the-top.

As for the Toyota Camry of the late '80s, those were actually good looking design wise, IMHO. The mid-'90s Accord was good too. Both bunged it up in recent years (although I need to give props to the 1997-2000 Camry, which I think is a good exterior design.)