Pinging and the "aftermarket"

Rover

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have followed blueoval for years...

I have two questions for other Ranger owners:

First, does anyone else have trouble with "pinging?" I have a 4.0L and for as long as I can remember it seems to ping under moderate to heavy acceleration. It idles fine and I use the recommended 87 octane from the Exxon/Mobil/Shell outlets as opposed to the "jiffy mart-type" gas. I've even used a fual injection cleaner regularly and it seems to help for about 1-2 tanks after treatment. Any suggestions?

Second, can anyone point me to some aftermarket companies that may have performance upgrades for 2002 Rangers? It boggles my mind that we own the "best selling mini-pickup for the last 58,000 years in a row" and there is hardly anything out there to personalize our trucks. I cannot find any front or rear bumpers, performance upgrades for the engine or any useful off road upgrades.

Thanks,

Rover

'02 Ranger XLT Supercab 4X4

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have followed blueoval for years...

I have two questions for other Ranger owners:

First, does anyone else have trouble with "pinging?" I have a 4.0L and for as long as I can remember it seems to ping under moderate to heavy acceleration. It idles fine and I use the recommended 87 octane from the Exxon/Mobil/Shell outlets as opposed to the "jiffy mart-type" gas. I've even used a fual injection cleaner regularly and it seems to help for about 1-2 tanks after treatment. Any suggestions?

Second, can anyone point me to some aftermarket companies that may have performance upgrades for 2002 Rangers? It boggles my mind that we own the "best selling mini-pickup for the last 58,000 years in a row" and there is hardly anything out there to personalize our trucks. I cannot find any front or rear bumpers, performance upgrades for the engine or any useful off road upgrades.

Thanks,

Rover

I never heard of the pinging with the 4.0, but the 3.0 will do it. Try a few tanks of 89 and see what happens.

Not to be an asshole, but are you sure it is pinging. Let me finish, IIRC the earlier SOHC 4.0L (why it was only on the ranger I don't know) had a problem with the timing chain, the symptoms were very similar. There is a fix for this, you might do better on RPS.

The aftermarket: it is out there, but for some reason it takes a load of work to find the products. Depending on what you're looking (specifically) for I might be able to point you in the right direction (fellow dirt junkie).

"Not to be an asshole, but are you sure it is pinging. Let me finish, IIRC the earlier SOHC 4.0L (why it was only on the ranger I don't know) had a problem with the timing chain, the symptoms were very similar. There is a fix for this, you might do better on RPS."

By no means do I think you're an a-hole, I am most definitely not an expert! I'm NOT sure it's pinging, but it sure does sound like it. My mechanic and his son are both Ford guys and the son's got the identical Ranger and has never had a problem. What's RPS? Is that like a TSB? And would a IIRC be in an '02 model year?

"The aftermarket: it is out there, but for some reason it takes a load of work to find the products. Depending on what you're looking (specifically) for I might be able to point you in the right direction (fellow dirt junkie)."

My "dream about and drool over" toy for the truck currently would be an ARB-type front bumper with a winch. I've confirmed with ARB-USA that although they make one for the Ranger-equivalent in Australia, they do not make one here in the States for the Ranger.

I don't understand why you'd make a truck with all that plastic hanging off the nose. The approach angle stinks. Even a tube-style bumper would be better than stock, IMO.

I also think it's time for a new set of shocks. I was thinking about those dial-adjustable rancho's...

Thanks

What's RPS? Is that like a TSB? And would a IIRC be in an '02 model year?

RPS= Ranger Power Sports (page here), I haven't been over there for a while, but there was always a bunch of helpful people on there (really I just got sick of the 1/4mile talk a while back).

IIRC- If I Recall Correctly, pretty common board speak (right up there with LOL and ROTFLMAO) damn newbies ;)

My "dream about and drool over" toy for the truck currently would be an ARB-type front bumper with a winch. I've confirmed with ARB-USA that although they make one for the Ranger-equivalent in Australia, they do not make one here in the States for the Ranger.

I don't understand why you'd make a truck with all that plastic hanging off the nose. The approach angle stinks. Even a tube-style bumper would be better than stock, IMO.

Thanks

For the bumper, take some pics to a local welding shop, or draw your own and do the same. Even when you can find a company that sells them, a setup like that ends up $1000+ (before the winch). Hell, you can buy everything you need to build one for about the same (including most of the tools).

• 7 months later...

Thanks,

Rover

Kind of an old post to reply to, but what the heck!

Here's a relatively new site for Ranger goodies:

http://stuffforyourranger.com/store/

I am fixing to purchase the power pulley for my 3.0L Vulcan. I hope that helps it merge onto traffic a bit better. It's not a terribly bad engine because of it's reliablity, but it can use a few extra horsepower and fuel economy.

It was already mentioned, but I wanted to vouch for Ranger Power Sports (http://www.rangerpowersports.com). It's a good site with alot of Ranger specific information.

• 1 month later...