Lane Keeping On Newer Fusions

ncffs

We have two Fusions: A 2018, and a 2020.

Both have Lane Keeping Assist.

Both say, in the manual, that the enable/disable setting of Lane Keeping is preserved when you shut off the car and restart it.  However, only the 2018 behaves that way.

In our 2020, every time we shut off the car and restart it, Lane Keeping is off.  We can turn it back on and it works fine, but we have to press the button on the stalk to do so.  This means it never, ever gets used (it's my wife's car and she just won't use the feature if she has to turn it on manually).  This makes the feature useless.

I have looked for settings and they're identical in both cars.  Also, there are no DTCs when I scan.

I even, in desperation, tried flashing the 2018 firmware for the Steering Column Control Module into her 2018, but that didn't change anything.  So I flashed her 2020 firmware back (which, as expected, didn't fix the problem either).

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

Edited by ncffs

12 hours ago, ncffs said:

We have two Fusions: A 2018, and a 2020.

Both have Lane Keeping Assist.

Both say, in the manual, that the enable/disable setting of Lane Keeping is preserved when you shut off the car and restart it.  However, only the 2018 behaves that way.

In our 2020, every time we shut off the car and restart it, Lane Keeping is off.  We can turn it back on and it works fine, but we have to press the button on the stalk to do so.  This means it never, ever gets used (it's my wife's car and she just won't use the feature if she has to turn it on manually).  This makes the feature useless.

I have looked for settings and they're identical in both cars.  Also, there are no DTCs when I scan.

I even, in desperation, tried flashing the 2018 firmware for the Steering Column Control Module into her 2018, but that didn't change anything.  So I flashed her 2020 firmware back (which, as expected, didn't fix the problem either).

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

Hi ncffs. The best course of action, assuming your 2020 is still within the 3 year/36,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty, would be to make a service appointment.

When you bring your Fusion in, ask to have a Tech take a short ride with you so you can demonstrate the issue. Demonstrate the issue to the Tech and be sure to have them acknowledge they see the error. Do not just perform some variation of handing them the keys, telling the Service Writer ,"The Lane Keeping Assist won't hold its on setting when we turn the car off, and the Owners Manual says it should.", then leaving. By having them see and acknowledge the issue in front of you, you can avoid the dreaded "Could not duplicate customers concern" diagnosis. If they tell you they see it, then they saw it.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @bbf2530!

So I found out after I sent this that my wife actually really despises this feature.  She doesn't like it at all.  It hurts her hands, and if the driver alert is enabled that compounds the problem by criticizing her driving.  So I've just turned off driver alert on her car, and I'm not going to take it in to Ford because she said she basically never wants the lane keeping system turned on, ever, anyway.  I don't see any point in fixing a feature she doesn't want anyway so I'm not going to waste my time.  But I do think if this is a problem in 19 and up, Ford needs to figure that out, or risk losing customers in general.

In my case though, I think maybe we should have gotten her a less high end model.  She also really dislikes the adaptive cruise, for instance.  I may just switch her car to normal (non adaptive) cruise mode.  I think some folks (me being one of them) really like all the tech, and others just really don't.  It's hard to please everyone I guess.