Not again! Mark Martin leaves Ford for Chevy

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. Just as if one might say Ford owns too many brands than they know what to do with or even manage...they're involved in too many different racing series, more so than Chrysler or GM, to focus on just one.

This is a well known fact in the motorsports world, by people who run things. This was even mentioned in the November Issue of RACER magazine as they Highlighted Dan Davis's efforts in the motorsport world. Ford has money to get the talent, but they don't have money to KEEP the talent (i.e. Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne, and more). You can certainly empathize with the young drivers on this one too, if Ford isn't going to put up the money to keep you...then why be loyal? Why stay?

In times of distress during the Ford Motorsport years, Ford forked over money to get the hot talent at the time...like in '85 - Dale Earnhardt Sr. to race for Bud Moore, and again in '94 - Rusty Wallace to race for the organization that Penske had just taken over. But in the end...neither driver stayed, most notably Dale Earnhardt Sr. Not to Mention NHRA's John Force.

2006 has been an embarrassing year for Ford's professional racing program...noting the loss of Dale Jarrett, Elliott Sadler, and now Mark Martin. Ford Racing is pretty much a farce on the mainstream professional level by being barely competative in some instances. Part of the reason they gave up on their F1 program...Ford couldn't compete with their investment of $120 million a year compared to Ferrari's $400+ million a year program.

With Ford's current financial state of the entire company, I'm not quite sure there is money or even interest to pick up any high profile drivers at this point. I certainly would not count on the loyalty of Greg Biffle, Matt Kenseth, or Carl Edwards in Cup. Jack Roush himself, already has an "out" in the Boston Red Sox owner who has showed interest for several years...Roush could sell the entire organization if he wanted. It's about marketing...not racing.

Concerning Mark Martin himself (been a fan of his for more than 12 years), I find the fact that he's staying in Cup for 2007, but only running a 20 race schedule, to be the most disappointing. I doubt this will reflect well on Mark at all. For instance...look at Bill Elliott's limited deal with Ray Evernham and Terry Labonte's limited deal with Hendrick and Hall of Fame Racing...Evernham and Hendrick are both top tier teams, but neither driver was rarely if ever competative in the races attended. We'll see though, I really don't care about the brand switch of Mark Martin's, but I sincerely think he could've found something more productive to do in racing or just retire completely.

Disagree with your assessment of Jack Roush's "out." If he sells, it is purely for the cash, not because of doubts about Ford's committment. He will sell controlling interest in his program at most, with any agreement keeping him firmly in charge of daily operations. He is all about the racing; he is FORCED to do the marketing. Racing is in his blood and he will never quit. He raced (and won) in the Gapp/Roush Pro-Stock Pinto in the 70's during the dark days without Ford's support. He moved on and dominated SCCA Trans-Am in the mid to late 80's. He is Ford loyal to the core and always will be. Regarding Wallace/Newman, Dodge put big cash into the pockets of Penske racing upon their return to NASCAR. Ford likely would have had to spend an unprecedented amount of money to retain them, likely more than they were paying Roush at the time and they weren't going to do that. I have no problem with Ford pulling out of F1. Insane to spend that kind of money in one series to try to keep up with Ferrari, when all they care about is dominating that series and nothing else. Meanwhile, Ford was/is still heavily invested in WRC as well as other series around the globe (i.e. Australia).

Edited by Chris D.

You beat me to it. Having "no plans" is a lot different then "absolutely not". I'm willing to bet that Mark Martin will be driving the 01 MB2 Ford next year.

Come on, how can Mark drive a Chevy...Mark Martin Ford Mercury Dealership & Museum

MMF-FRONT.jpg

Mark Martin Ford apparently has a high conquest rate. Look at the used white Nissan Titan pickup on the right, the Chebby Tahoe being traded in just left of center, and the used Silverado for sale on the left with the door open!

Not sure what the situation is with drivers in the US but out here Ford contract marquee drives to the company. Drivers then have a separate contract with a Ford team. In a situation like this a driver that drives for a Chevy team wouldn't be allowed to have a vested interest in the opposition, especially like owning a dealership. Mark would have to change or sell his dealership if he wanted to race for Holden (GM) or conversely the Chevy team would need to switch to run Fords.

If Martin does drive a Chevy I will be extremely disappointed but then again I am disappointed a man that claims to want to retire has decided to continue on like he has. You can’t take any notice of what he says and he is definitely a better person then that.

Disagree with your assessment of Jack Roush's "out." If he sells, it is purely for the cash, not because of doubts about Ford's committment. He will sell controlling interest in his program at most, with any agreement keeping him firmly in charge of daily operations. He is all about the racing; he is FORCED to do the marketing. Racing is in his blood and he will never quit. He raced (and won) in the Gapp/Roush Pro-Stock Pinto in the 70's during the dark days without Ford's support. He moved on and dominated SCCA Trans-Am in the mid to late 80's. He is Ford loyal to the core and always will be. Regarding Wallace/Newman, Dodge put big cash into the pockets of Penske racing upon their return to NASCAR. Ford likely would have had to spend an unprecedented amount of money to retain them, likely more than they were paying Roush at the time and they weren't going to do that. I have no problem with Ford pulling out of F1. Insane to spend that kind of money in one series to try to keep up with Ferrari, when all they care about is dominating that series and nothing else. Meanwhile, Ford was/is still heavily invested in WRC as well as other series around the globe (i.e. Australia).

Isn't Roush going through a divorce? Could be the reason for the sale.

Edited by Blue II

Little on topic and off topic-

It does look like MB2 will move to Ford with the potential Martin partial ownership. I wonder how that effects Kenseth in the long run because Martin is listed as owner of the 17 team. How long before we see Mark's son Matt driving for Martin Motorsports in NASCAR.

Also looks like Robby Gordon will be moving to Ford for the 07 season- announcement in the next couple of weeks. He will be adding a second car to his team also. I am not a big Robbie Gordon fan but he is exciting.

Looks like Ford's committment is increasing not decreasing.