Sell Right to Purchase Special Order?

A friend (really, it's not me - I have a 21 Nav) placed an order for a new Nav  and hybrid Aviator but his wife no longer wants the Aviator. The vehicle is scheduled for production in the next couple of weeks.

Given vehicle shortages and gas prices, he was wondering if there was any market for selling the right to purchase the vehicle. Not even sure if the dealership would allow it, but I figured it was worth asking.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

A friend (really, it's not me - I have a 21 Nav) placed an order for a new Nav  and hybrid Aviator but his wife no longer wants the Aviator. The vehicle is scheduled for production in the next couple of weeks.

Given vehicle shortages and gas prices, he was wondering if there was any market for selling the right to purchase the vehicle. Not even sure if the dealership would allow it, but I figured it was worth asking.

Thanks!

Hi Hosftra. Well, not really. These are not limited production vehicles, like a Shelby Mustang etc. The way things are going with commodity shortages and production, there is no guarantee it will be produced "...in the next couple of weeks" anyway, no matter what he was told.

And as you mentioned, your friend really has no control over who the Dealer sells the vehicle to once he decides not to purchase it. He has no "right" to sell his place in line, so to speak, because he has no legal "right" to the vehicle itself..

In fact (and in reality), your friend really has no "right" to purchase it in the first place, because the Dealer could decide not to sell the vehicle to him at all, let alone someone he sells his imaginary "rights" to. All the Dealer would need to do is return any deposit he left (if applicable) and it's all over.

Also, keep in mind that even if your friend sells his "rights" to the vehicle, he can not guarantee the agreed to price. At least not without the new buyer negotiating this with the Dealership.

But you never know until you try. So tell your friend to ask the Dealership.

And tell your friend good luck.

Edited by bbf2530