Headache rack & hard/trifold tonneau combo?

Curious if anyone is running something similar?   I am looking forward to a hard style tonneau on the new truck for added security (currently soft roll up on the F150).   My business will likely dictate a headache rack (pruning ladders), however I would love to also have the rigid tonneau as it is ideal for tool storage & also securing items when traveling with the RV.  I have a chest style toolbox that will ride under cover against the cab & maintaining easy access is a priority.   My impression is that a roll up style tonneaus may impede toolbox from full opening?  Also planning full length step rails to aid in accessing said toolbox.  

Appreciate any feedback ?

Edited by stevenc

42 minutes ago, DrEvil said:

Interested in the responses. I’m looking for a similar set up. 

I've yet to find a "wow, that's perfect" solution.   I'd be willing to forgo the headache rack for the hard tonneau with front toolbox access, but it would be sweet if that combo existed... may prove easier to just deal with mounting ladders & such to dump trailers. 

On my 2016 250, I have a weatherguard cross rail box extra deep (no headache rack, but could install one with the box).  I went with an extang solid fold hard tonneau that is meant to be installed with a tool box.  https://extang.com/solid-fold-2-0-toolbox 

I have no affiliation with Extang,  just works well for my use.  Comes with a rail that mounts up tight to the tool box, then the tonneau mounts to the bed rails.  It's not 100% waterproof due to the gap at the front of the bed and tool box, but that could be weather stripped.  I just never bothered. 

You can also remove the entire tonneau in about 2 minutes if you need your entire bed.  You would have to change your chest toolbox to a saddle style for this to work.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, stevenc said:

Curious if anyone is running something similar?   I am looking forward to a hard style tonneau on the new truck for added security (currently soft roll up on the F150).   My business will likely dictate a headache rack (pruning ladders), however I would love to also have the rigid tonneau as it is ideal for tool storage & also securing items when traveling with the RV.  I have a chest style toolbox that will ride under cover against the cab & maintaining easy access is a priority.   My impression is that a roll up style tonneaus may impede toolbox from full opening?  Also planning full length step rails to aid in accessing said toolbox.  

Appreciate any feedback ?

Look at magnumtruckracks.com  I had the rack and bed rails on my F150 really liked how they looked worked great with my bak revolver tonneau. 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, CGDonovan said:

On my 2016 250, I have a weatherguard cross rail box extra deep (no headache rack, but could install one with the box).  I went with an extang solid fold hard tonneau that is meant to be installed with a tool box.  https://extang.com/solid-fold-2-0-toolbox 

I have no affiliation with Extang,  just works well for my use.  Comes with a rail that mounts up tight to the tool box, then the tonneau mounts to the bed rails.  It's not 100% waterproof due to the gap at the front of the bed and tool box, but that could be weather stripped.  I just never bothered. 

You can also remove the entire tonneau in about 2 minutes if you need your entire bed.  You would have to change your chest toolbox to a saddle style for this to work.

im going to be doing this but am turning box around so opens from the front that way i can put it right next to headache rack and no gap to deal with

On our 2015 2500 GMC, we have a headache rack and box rails with a bak-flip G2 CF hard folding on a 6.5' box.

No mods necessary. The rack and rails go around the seals for the cover.

Don't have my F450 yet to try the same, but the rail caps are wider and anticipate it to be much the same scenario.

Edited by NoPistons