Upfitter 40amp fuse question

EB1959

So, we've had our  '22 F350 for just over a week now.  I'm installing our 5th wheel trailer camera system and would like to turn they system on with the number 6 switch.  I have already moved the 5amp fuse to the "right" so switch 5 and 6 can power on with out engine.   I know the number 5 and 6 are 40 amps.   What I'm looking at is the 40 amp fuse on what looks like a 10 or 12 gauge wire.  Can I connect the 14g pass  though wire to the #6 switch wire under the hood,  then from inside the cab end of the pass through, connect a 10amp inline fuse to go the camera system, is that acceptable?  I'd be using 14g wire there as well.

Trying to learn as much as I can about these upfitter switches, watched a lot of youtube videos but none have addressed using the large amp fuses for low amp accessories.

36 minutes ago, EB1959 said:

So, we've had our  '22 F350 for just over a week now.  I'm installing our 5th wheel trailer camera system and would like to turn they system on with the number 6 switch.  I have already moved the 5amp fuse to the "right" so switch 5 and 6 can power on with out engine.   I know the number 5 and 6 are 40 amps.   What I'm looking at is the 40 amp fuse on what looks like a 10 or 12 gauge wire.  Can I connect the 14g pass  though wire to the #6 switch wire under the hood,  then from inside the cab end of the pass through, connect a 10amp inline fuse to go the camera system, is that acceptable?  I'd be using 14g wire there as well.

Trying to learn as much as I can about these upfitter switches, watched a lot of youtube videos but none have addressed using the large amp fuses for low amp accessories.

It's never recommended to run a larger fuse on a lower amp device. Defeats the purpose of protecting the equipment. 

So if you want to run a inline fuse then I don't see any reason not to.  The lower amp fuse will blow long before the higher amp fuse still protecting your equipment. 

33 minutes ago, danielj said:

It's never recommended to run a larger fuse on a lower amp device. Defeats the purpose of protecting the equipment. 

So if you want to run a inline fuse then I don't see any reason not to.  The lower amp fuse will blow long before the higher amp fuse still protecting your equipment. 

Circuit breakers and fuses protect the wiring from the equipment not vice versa.  You’re probably running a 0.5 amp light bulb on a 15 amp circuit right now.

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

Circuit breakers and fuses protect the wiring from the equipment not vice versa.  You’re probably running a 0.5 amp light bulb on a 15 amp circuit right now.

They protect from surges to the equipment as much as they prevent a device from pulling too much amperage from too small of a wire causing damage to the wiring. 

In both cases it's best to use the recommended  wiring and fuse to power whatever device you want to run. Usually there is more then one 0.5 amp light on a single 15amp circuit.