Gasoline Octane for 2007 Expeditions

sdawsonracing

Hey,

Would one of you folks with your new expedition please tell me what octane fuel Ford recommends. My wife has a 2005 Navigator and Lincoln says 93 Octane. Of course, 93 octane is 20 cents more expensive than regular unleaded. We are considering a trade to the new EL and just not wanting to get into another premium unleaded vehicle.

Thanks

Steve

Hey,

Would one of you folks with your new expedition please tell me what octane fuel Ford recommends. My wife has a 2005 Navigator and Lincoln says 93 Octane. Of course, 93 octane is 20 cents more expensive than regular unleaded. We are considering a trade to the new EL and just not wanting to get into another premium unleaded vehicle.

Thanks

Steve

Regardless of what the manual says, you DON'T need to run premium in a Navigator..why it says you do, is beyond me. The 5.4 in the Navigator is the EXACT same engine as the Expedition..the only difference is the plastic engine cover that says LINCOLN on it. You didn't need to run 93 in the '05, and you won't need to run it in an '07. I work at the plant that builds them, and I'd hate to see a potential customer turned away by this silly octane requirement. Also, I have X plan PIN's!

Regardless of what the manual says, you DON'T need to run premium in a Navigator..why it says you do, is beyond me. The 5.4 in the Navigator is the EXACT same engine as the Expedition..the only difference is the plastic engine cover that says LINCOLN on it. You didn't need to run 93 in the '05, and you won't need to run it in an '07. I work at the plant that builds them, and I'd hate to see a potential customer turned away by this silly octane requirement. Also, I have X plan PIN's!

i thought navi engines were the 4 valve design 5.4 ? ?

my 03 navi almost always ran on reg. got better mpg, little less power, but cost less to fill up also ! !

i thought navi engines were the 4 valve design 5.4 ? ?

my 03 navi almost always ran on reg. got better mpg, little less power, but cost less to fill up also ! !

The 2000 to 2004 Navigators had a 4V DOHC 5.4 V8, but the 2005 and newer got the exact same 3V SOHC 5.4 V8 that the 2005 and newer Expedition had. Except the owner's manual recommended premium fuel in the Navigator. Kind of goofy...

It was 91 for both the 05 and 06 Navigators but for 07 it's 87. The hp and torque ratings are the same, so either they used different software tuning for the 05/06 but didn't advertise the power difference or they said 91 was required when it was really 87. Can't imagine how they'd make a mistake like that for both the 05 and 06 models but I guess it's possible.

The 2007 Expedition uses 87 octane. You can get owner's manuals for all vehicles here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/default.asp

Hey,

Thanks

Steve

This is directly out of the '07 Expedition Owners Manual

Octane recommendations:

Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular†unleaded gasoline with pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as “Regular†that are sold with octane ratings of 86 or lower in high altitude areas. Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if

it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

This is directly out of the '07 Expedition Owners Manual

Octane recommendations:

Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular†unleaded gasoline with pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as “Regular†that are sold with octane ratings of 86 or lower in high altitude areas. Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if

it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

If the engine has spark knock, it probably just needs some decent fuel system cleaner. My '05 pickup had some pinging, used some gumout, cleared it right up.