Braking sounds?

dchan

In the ordering thread I mentioned a sound I'm hearing when applying the brakes.

I figured I should create a new thread rather then fill the ordering thread with off topic discussions.

Configuration of this Escape is 2023 AWD Hybrid, Platinum package.

The sound I'm hearing and feeling is when I'm coming to a stop and applying the brakes. As I start to apply pressure to the brake pedal, I'm first feeling the vehicle begin to slow, then as it slows in the 15-5MPH range I hear a slight clicking coming from the front end (because I'm on the drivers side that's all I seem to hear) I have not heard it while sitting in the passenger seat yet.
it seems to go away once I get to the 5mph range and does not return when I reach dead stop. It almost sounds like something electronic engaging and disengaging very quickly and the rate seems falls as as the vehicle speed falls telling me it's related to the speed of the wheel turning.

When I slam on the brakes or brake aggressively the symptom/sound does not happen. And when I brake extremely gently ie rolling up to a stop sign on a slight up incline so very little pressure on the brake pedal, the sound does not happen.

Today as I was driving around taking service calls I decided to pay closer attention to when the symptom was happening so I turned on the "power flow" app on the infotainment screen and now I think I have another part to add in. It seems to only happen when I'm decelerating in electric mode, AND the vehicle is attempting to use all four wheels to regen energy.
When ever the sound was present, the rear wheels were engaged in the drive/deceleration process. When I was able to slow to a stop without the rear wheels being involved, the symptom was absent leading me to believe that it's a solenoid or some part of the regen motor engaging and dis-engaging as part of the slowing process.

Not sure if anyone here would be able to confirm this but thought I'd throw it out there.

I did notice a similar sound when I used to drive my Dad's 2004 Escape AWD Hybrid but when I mentioned it to the mechanic that used to service that vehicle, they told me it was nothing. That vehicle is still on the road today. (my Nephew is now driving that vehicle)

The sound you hear is a repetitive clicking?  Like you're braking and you hear "click-click-click-click-click-click-click" coming from a single location?

I picked up my PHEV Premium on Saturday, and I do hear strange braking noises with it, but nothing repetitive.  As I brake the car to a stop, I hear these... clicks isn't quite the word, more like pings or pops...  but usually each sound I hear happens only once in a given braking cycle.  But which wheel of the car it occurs on varies, and often times I hear sounds from multiple locations on a given stop.  I'll hear a pop from the front right.  Then a pop from somewhere in the back.  Then a third pop that sounds central in the front.  Since it's a PHEV, it doesn't have AWD, only FWD.  Another time when I hit the brakes, I may hear only one pop from the rear.  Another time, it may sound like it's from one of the other wheels.  And I also hear similar sounds from various places when I release the brakes to pull away.

I don't know what's causing the sounds, but a solenoid is a possibility. Another guess is some part that hits the mechanical limit of its travel when braking... I could imagine a brake caliper that flexes into a different position as it grabs.  Yes, braking very, very gently does seem to avoid (or minimize) the sounds.

The brakes seem fine, they stop the car well, so I'm not too worried about it.  But it is weird, and I've never heard the brakes on any other car make sounds like this.

this one is a "click-click-click-click-click" and it is not there when I brake hard or extremely gently. Only when I slow slowly with light pressure on the brake. It seems to be the front left but it's possible it's just where I'm sitting. My wife hears it when sitting in the passenger seat but she has not said it's sounds like it's the left or right.

Again I tried turning on the "power flow" app on the infotainment screen and it seems also to correspond mostly to when I'm braking and the "regenerating battery" switches to AWD. Guessing it's probably a solenoid firing to transfer load somewhere.

• 1 month later...

i have a 2023 St-Line Select AWD Hybrid and I am getting the clicking sound too. It is only one click, and it happens when slowing down and taking off. It doesn't do it every time. I had it into the shop and they did TSB 23-2244, noise caused by heat shield. Well, it seems to have helped some, but the noise is still there.

Edited by sajn