2005 Ranger with Front Brake Drag Problem

Beefmaster

Hello, I need some help. I changed the front Rotors/hubs on my 2005 Ranger RWD. Now I have brake drag and my front hubs are getting hot. My old rotors needed replacing. So I went to Advanced Auto and bought a set that matched my truck. I pulled the old ones and installed the new ones. The new ones spun without any issues. After test driving a few miles I checked and the lug nuts were hot along with the dust caps. I jacked it up and now the brakes are dragging. While I had the rotors off I greased the slides. I pressed the calibers to retract the pistons. So no air should be in the line. Any ideas on what could be causing this? 

On 6/14/2023 at 1:17 PM, Beefmaster said:

Hello, I need some help. I changed the front Rotors/hubs on my 2005 Ranger RWD. Now I have brake drag and my front hubs are getting hot. My old rotors needed replacing. So I went to Advanced Auto and bought a set that matched my truck. I pulled the old ones and installed the new ones. The new ones spun without any issues. After test driving a few miles I checked and the lug nuts were hot along with the dust caps. I jacked it up and now the brakes are dragging. While I had the rotors off I greased the slides. I pressed the calibers to retract the pistons. So no air should be in the line. Any ideas on what could be causing this? 

It could be that there is now too much brake fluid in the system, due to the fact that the new rotors are thicker than the worn ones keeping the caliper pistons in farther now.. Remove the reservoir cover and extract a small amount from both chambers. Check that the pads and springs are in place properly. 

5 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

It could be that there is now too much brake fluid in the system, due to the fact that the new rotors are thicker than the worn ones keeping the caliper pistons in farther now.. Remove the reservoir cover and extract a small amount from both chambers. Check that the pads and springs are in place properly. 

I read that too. I removed some extra fluid this morning and it didn't fix it. I think it's odd that both sides are not releasing. I think I will remove the new rotor/hubs and put the old ones back on (one side to test) and see it that fixes it.My neighbor suggested the new rotors may be out of spec and causing the problem. I did go ahead and buy new calibers and rubber brake lines but I haven't installed them yet. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 7:18 PM, Beefmaster said:

I read that too. I removed some extra fluid this morning and it didn't fix it. I think it's odd that both sides are not releasing. I think I will remove the new rotor/hubs and put the old ones back on (one side to test) and see it that fixes it.My neighbor suggested the new rotors may be out of spec and causing the problem. I did go ahead and buy new calibers and rubber brake lines but I haven't installed them yet. 

Are the new rotors Motorcraft, or another brand? Double check that the right part number was ordered and received. Check the OEM thickness spec against what the new rotors measure with measuring calipers in any case. Or maybe the new calipers are designed to work with the new rotors, and the old calipers aren't?