2016 Explorer Sport died (104k)

It's almost a joke, but unfortunately as soon as my 2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 3.5L EcoBoost hit 100K miles (odometer = 104296.9), it "fell apart". First the seal of the PCU (trasnfer case) dried out and ate itself. At the same time that was being replaced, one turbo was bad. Within 2 weeks of getting it back from the shop the second turbo went out. Within 1 month of that the engine went. I don't have an answer what happened to the engine, but I thought the turbo went out again, it sounded like a penny in the dryer. I immediately drove it to the Ford dealer. They pull the valve cover and discovered some "scoring". Then they pulled the oil filter, cut it open, and found metal parts, including brass shards(?). So, if you're going to extend the warranty...I'd make it longer than 100K. Up until then I had minimal issues. I sold it with a broken engine for about 1/4 what it was worth on KBB and that's it for my Ruby. I spoke with another friend who stated almost the same thing happened to them last year. I'm gonna try another company because engines going at 100K should be a joke...not the standard.

It was regularly serviced at Jiffy Lube with synthetic oil. I think I just changed my oil within the last 6 months. I'm looking now. Trust me, I babied the vehicle. The PTU fluid is considered a "lifetime" fluid. I haven't checked my last service notes, but I wondering if the dealerships even check those. I live in the southwest where it's warm and dry. Seals dry and crack over time. Even so, I'm guessing it was never serviced/checked. I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, fluffyneenja said:

It was regularly serviced at Jiffy Lube with synthetic oil. I think I just changed my oil within the last 6 months. I'm looking now. Trust me, I babied the vehicle. The PTU fluid is considered a "lifetime" fluid. I haven't checked my last service notes, but I wondering if the dealerships even check those. I live in the southwest where it's warm and dry. Seals dry and crack over time. Even so, I'm guessing it was never serviced/checked. I could be wrong.

PTUs say lifetime but that assumes they don’t overheat.  Once they do it’s toast but it doesn’t tell you.  Recommended service is every 50k miles.

No telling what Jiffy Lube used.  Might have been the wrong spec.

I'm still in touch with the guy who purchased it. He has it at the mechanic. Mechanic said most of the bearings on the cams were damaged. He believes the water pump leaked and got into the oil pan and diluted the oil. Meh...sure, maybe. I thought the coolant leaks were external. Not sure how it could've leaked into the oil pan.