Coolant Intrusion Design Defect Question

CPadilla309

Hi all,

I did a quick search & didn't see what I was looking for, so posting here.

I heard in a video on YouTube that some early build 2019 Edges with the 2.0L Turbo could potentially still have the defective block.  I could see this being the case because I imagine ford would rather use any left over inventory rather than scrap it.

With that said, does anyone know of a definite way to confirm which version of the engine is in my Edge?  There's got to be some sort of part number or serial number on the engine that can differentiate between the new and old designs.

Thanks

On 10/20/2023 at 6:56 PM, akirby said:

The TSB says 2018 edges only, no 2019s.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169807-0001.pdf

Yes, I know what the TSB says, but I also know how companies operate when they have to make a decision about scrapping parts or not.  I imagine that if they had any problematic engines left, they would have analyzed risk vs reward of consuming vs scrapping.  So, my concern is that they would have attempted to consume the remainder of their defective design rather than scrapping.  This is why I'm looking for a 100% definitive way to confirm what's in my car.

On 10/20/2023 at 7:20 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

Don't confuse the block design problem with the EGR valve issue, that also results in coolant loss.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10177867-0001.pdf

HRG

Yeah, I know the difference.  I just had my car in the shop last week for the EGR issue.  I'm hoping that the fact it had the EGR issue is a sign that it won't have the block issue.