AC blowing warm air and intermittent compressor engaging

I'm servicing my Mother's car right now and the AC blows warm air when on Max and high fan speed, and the compressor seems to be cycling weird.  With the engine turned on and Max AC is running at high fan speed the compressor clutch engages spinning for about 10 seconds, and then it disengages and stops turning for about 10 seconds.  It keeps doing this on and off deal until the AC is turned off.

Is what I'm seeing consistent with low freon/R-134a?

Her car did this last spring and I added some refrigerant and the AC began to blow cold again, although I'm not sure if the compressor was behaving this way last time.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some gauges on and it was reading 70 lbs on the high side with the RPM at 2000. So I hook up an 11 oz can with a cheap removable gauge (only colors, yellow low, green good, red high) to the low side and tilt it over to add with the AC on Max and full fan. It didn't pull that much in it seemed, so the second time I tipped the can over I held it just a little bit longer and I think it sucked just about the whole can in, and the pressure meter red WAY into the red, high. I think it seized up the compressor because smoke started coming from the compressor pulley? possibly, from that area anyway. I turned the engine off immediately and released some of the refrigerant from the low side. I think what happened is that the pressure was too high in the system and the compressor wouldn't turn, so the compressor pulley stayed in place when the clutch was engaged and the smoke came from the serpentine belt running past the compressor pulley with it not turning. Best guess anyway.

So now I don't know what to do. What I'm thinking of doing is having all the refrigerant taken out, putting a vac pump on and evacuate the system and start from scratch. The sticker under the hood says it takes .96 kg of r124a, which is 33.86oz which is just .86oz over exactly 3 x 11oz cans of refrigerant. Best idea so far.

Hopefully my compressor isn't shot.

Any thoughts?

I evacuated the system with a vac pump and I'm ready to add refrigerant now. Another poster on a different board asks...

'Are you sure it's not 34oz. of r134a and 7oz. of pag#46 oil??? '

Do I need to worry about adding oil? I would think it's still in the system being no components were taken apart. Here's the refrigerant sticker under the hood...

refrigerant.jpg