Help Me With My Decision

proman

I am new to this forum. I have been reading about everyone's opinions and excitement and really enjoyed it. I felt like I could get the answers I needed from members of this forum.

I am suppose to get my EB expy at the end of November and very excited. However, I've read on the forum that some of you have had a bad experience with the 1st gear of the transmission, wheel problems, etc. I would really appreciate it if those of you who have got your expy could tell me if you are still having trouble with the trans, the wheels, the ride ( the 07 is suppose to be superior in ride and comfort and quietness) over pass generation. I really want this vehicle but also don't want to make a mistake since it would be an expensive one.

Thanking you ahead for any input.

Mike :shrug:

I am new to this forum. I have been reading about everyone's opinions and excitement and really enjoyed it. I felt like I could get the answers I needed from members of this forum.

I am suppose to get my EB expy at the end of November and very excited. However, I've read on the forum that some of you have had a bad experience with the 1st gear of the transmission, wheel problems, etc. I would really appreciate it if those of you who have got your expy could tell me if you are still having trouble with the trans, the wheels, the ride ( the 07 is suppose to be superior in ride and comfort and quietness) over pass generation. I really want this vehicle but also don't want to make a mistake since it would be an expensive one.

Thanking you ahead for any input.

Mike :shrug:

Well, I am one with a 1st gear trans problem but it honestly isnt that bad. I will take it in when I hear there is a fix, but its not bad. I wouldnt not get it because of it. As for the ride, it is very smooth and quiet. I love the exhaust sound, very nice. No problems with my wheels, I dont know how the standard 17 and 18 inch wheels are doing but the 20's are nice. I have had 2 other Expeditions and this by far is the best. I have also had the Excursion and this is nothing like. The Excursion was like driving an F250 truck this is much nicer and I also loved the Excursion. The interior comfort is very nice I am a large women at 6'5 and I fit great in it. I would not back out on your EB Expy you will love it. As always first year models will have some issues but so far things seem ok. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Well, I am one with a 1st gear trans problem but it honestly isnt that bad. I will take it in when I hear there is a fix, but its not bad. I wouldnt not get it because of it. As for the ride, it is very smooth and quiet. I love the exhaust sound, very nice. No problems with my wheels, I dont know how the standard 17 and 18 inch wheels are doing but the 20's are nice. I have had 2 other Expeditions and this by far is the best. I have also had the Excursion and this is nothing like. The Excursion was like driving an F250 truck this is much nicer and I also loved the Excursion. The interior comfort is very nice I am a large women at 6'5 and I fit great in it. I would not back out on your EB Expy you will love it. As always first year models will have some issues but so far things seem ok. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your expy sounds so nice. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Clause. Thanks again, Mike :happy feet:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your expy sounds so nice. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Clause. Thanks again, Mike :happy feet:

Thankyou, it is very nice. I am enjoying it every minute I can. My only advise is get help when washing it!!! It takes me forever to dry the beast! LOL I think I will take it to a hand wash next time, will be worth the money.. You are right about the waiting, I was going insane waiting but it was so worth it. Let us know when you get yours and what you think.

post-24826-1161736732_thumb.jpgProman-

I've had 3 vehicles (including my '03 Thunderbird and '02 Sport Trac) that will start out in 2nd gear from a dead stop under light throttle. I believe that this is actually a fuel-saving measure. Heavier throttle application at takeoff will induce the tranny to start from 1st gear. If you start off under light throttle (thus, in 2nd gear), then mash the pedal - yes - the trans will step down to 1st gear, and it's a very awkward sensation.

I felt this the first time I test drove the '07 Expedition. I don't think there is anything wrong with this transmission, it's simply a matter of driving habits. Maybe Ford will see that this is causing more of a "perceived" issue than it actually is, and issue a TSB for a trans re-flash.

In either case, before you take delivery of your Expy, drive one NOW and see for yourself. You will notice it, and if you hate it - don't buy it.

However, I can tell you I've had no problems whatsoever with my Expy. No wheel vibrations, nothing. It rides smooth as silk (even with the optional 20" wheels). I only "need" to drive about 10 miles per day for work, but in 11 days I have put 750 miles on it. It rides like a luxury car. My wife and I just LOOK for excuses to go places.

Hope this helps.

post-24826-1161736732_thumb.jpgProman-

I've had 3 vehicles (including my '03 Thunderbird and '02 Sport Trac) that will start out in 2nd gear from a dead stop under light throttle. I believe that this is actually a fuel-saving measure. Heavier throttle application at takeoff will induce the tranny to start from 1st gear. If you start off under light throttle (thus, in 2nd gear), then mash the pedal - yes - the trans will step down to 1st gear, and it's a very awkward sensation.

I felt this the first time I test drove the '07 Expedition. I don't think there is anything wrong with this transmission, it's simply a matter of driving habits. Maybe Ford will see that this is causing more of a "perceived" issue than it actually is, and issue a TSB for a trans re-flash.

In either case, before you take delivery of your Expy, drive one NOW and see for yourself. You will notice it, and if you hate it - don't buy it.

However, I can tell you I've had no problems whatsoever with my Expy. No wheel vibrations, nothing. It rides smooth as silk (even with the optional 20" wheels). I only "need" to drive about 10 miles per day for work, but in 11 days I have put 750 miles on it. It rides like a luxury car. My wife and I just LOOK for excuses to go places.

Hope this helps.

RadCad -

Thanks for your response. Man what a beautiful expy. You have the color I ordered and I have had no luck in finding pictures of the oxford white EB. Your picture just drives me crazy ! Is the inside of yours the camel with greystone accents, that is what will be on mine. Could you possibly take a picture of the front of your expy so I could see the new grill? Wow !!!!! It is a beauty!!!

Thankyou, it is very nice. I am enjoying it every minute I can. My only advise is get help when washing it!!! It takes me forever to dry the beast! LOL I think I will take it to a hand wash next time, will be worth the money.. You are right about the waiting, I was going insane waiting but it was so worth it. Let us know when you get yours and what you think.

Tiffany -

I will be happy to let you know when I get it. If you see RADCAD's response, you see how he and his wife come up with excuses to drive their expy. That's like me, I've owned a98 and 05 and would just " ride the road " as my wife puts it for no reason but to enjoy the vehicle. I know what you mean by the going insane . Every day that passes it gets worse. I probably won't be mentally capable of driving by the time it arrives. What makes it worse, I work directly across the street from the dealership so every time I go outside for anything, I'm looking for my expy.

No problem, I have a few more pics I took of mine. Yes, I have the gray/camel interior. Also have power rear liftgate, nav, dvd. So far, everything works exceptionally well. This is my first nav system, so there's a bit of a learning curve. It works quite well, however!

If there's any special pictures of it you'd like me to take (interior shots, etc) let me know, I'll be happy to post them here. It is a beautiful vehicle! You won't be dissappointed!

post-24826-1161785511_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1161785174_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1161785077_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1161784965_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1161784900_thumb.jpg

post-24826-1161784814_thumb.jpg

No problem, I have a few more pics I took of mine. Yes, I have the gray/camel interior. Also have power rear liftgate, nav, dvd. So far, everything works exceptionally well. This is my first nav system, so there's a bit of a learning curve. It works quite well, however!

If there's any special pictures of it you'd like me to take (interior shots, etc) let me know, I'll be happy to post them here. It is a beautiful vehicle! You won't be dissappointed!

I don't know how to thank you enough. The pictures I found on the internet were of the copper, metallic grey, black, etc. Just seeing your oxford white expy in these pictures lets me know I picked the right color for me. I'll look at your pictures on a daily basis to help me get over this mental state I'm in because of waiting. This is one fine looking vehicle. :happy feet:

Hey RadCad I see we bought our El's from the same dealership. Well I got mine from the store in Woodland Hills and you got it from Oxnard!! So Happy to see someone purchase their EL from the dealer my Mom works for. Your EL is beautiful!!! I too look for excuses to drive. I went out to the Cam Outlets this past weekend and people were flocking to my Limited EL wondering what it was. Do you get that as well. Its fun! Ive had mine for 17 days and only put on 600. How is your gas mileage so far?

It appears that Vista Ford/Oxnard does a LOT of business up here. I'm hoping their service department is a good one. I've had very positive experiences with both of the Ford dealerships/service shops I've used in the past. So far, so good, as I just brought my T-Bird in for service last week.

Yes, I've had several inquiries (most of them while filling up at the gas station) about my Expy, how I like it, how does it ride, etc. I've been saying the same thing all along, this thing rides quiet and smooth-like a luxury car, but when you give it a little gas it's got a nice, aggressive exhaust note too. The best of both worlds!

I'm like a kid in a candy store...my wife got up at 2:00 in the morning two nights after we got our Expy, and found me in the garage - in the Expy - with our 4-year old shepherd/lab on my lap, all the lights out, sitting in the 3rd row seat, legs up on the folded 2nd row, watching Family Guy on the DVD player! She thought I was nuts. I've also been nabbed at midnight, fuzting with the nav system, trying to learn it.

When we were trying to narrow down our choice for a new vehicle, we knew we wanted something luxurious, nothing too "trucky". After several years of running a profitable business, we wanted to reward ourselves with something extra nice. Tested Armada, Acura MDX, Tahoe, among others. I hate to sound as if I work for Ford (I don't), but damn, this is one of the nicest vehicles I've EVER driven. I can't believe it weighs 5800 pounds (ish). It certainly doesn't handle that way. Between my '03 Thunderbird and the '07 Expy, I honestly think Ford products have made a huge leap in quality, as well as looks. I only hope the general public gets a chance to test drive these new vehicles, instead of mindless listening about how much better foreign cars are (this, coming from a former Mercedes owner). There is NO reason that this vehicle shouldn't be the truck of the year in the auto magazines. There is NO reason why Ford should ever be selling this vehicle with incentives, because at it's core, this truck is perfect!

:soapbox:

Sorry about the rant.

As far as mpg, according to the trip computer I'm averaging 16.2. However, I think the "miles to empty" gauge is a bit too conservative, because when I had an indicated "6 miles to empty", the tank only took 28.5 gallons (5 gallons still left in tank). On the tank of gas I'm on right now, I will actually calculate the mileage average between fill ups to see how accurate the trip computer is. I'll let you know when I fill it up again (could be a while - 500 miles per tank). Or not. Maybe I'll drive to Vegas to get my Expy washed.

Have fun! (what about pics of your Expy ELlover?)

post-24063-1161898414_thumb.jpgpost-24063-1161898433_thumb.jpgpost-24063-1161898467_thumb.jpg

To Funny RadCad, I too found myself hiding in the EL watching a movie or playing with the nav. Both my husband and I would find an excuse to go out just to use the nav system. When I am out cleaning the EL the kids watch their favorite movies, they like the DVD player in the Expy better than in house.

I completely agree with you that this is by far the best SUV/truck of the year. The Expy El can meet many people needs. I for one was in the market for a large SUV and was about to trade my 03 Expy for an 07 Suburban because I have 4 young children and the Expedition wasnt meeting my needs. When I found out that Ford was coming out with an extened version I was excited. I think the EL is very luxurious for an SUV and very sound.

I think Ford has finally made the turn around and hopefully people will get a clue that American made is the way to go. All I have ever owned (except one) are Fords. I have been very unhappy with some, but right now we have an 06 F150 and the 07 Exp El and I am very pleased. We have driven many foriegn made cars and I liked a few but not enough to purchase one.

I'm glad you are happy with Vista's sales and service. I fwd your response to my Mom, who is the owners secretary and he read it with a big smile. She wanted me to thank you for being a loyal customer.

As for MPG I am not doing as good as you. The gauge is reading 13.5, when I fill up next week I will get the actual. I sort of have a lead foot and love the power of the Expy that I cant help myself, plus a lot of my driving is in town. Soon we will be doing a long trip camping so that will help out.

These are the only pictures I have as my digital camera took a dump, I will take some with the regular camera and post them when I get them...

Is that the Carbon Clear Coat you've got? That was our second choice for color! With the darkly tinted side windows it looks so baaad (but good)!. But after having traded in our black Sport Trac for the Expy, I just couldn't pull the trigger on another dark-colored vehicle. I used a California Car Brush to keep the dust off of it between washings, and it looked very sharp. But I noticed the brush causing small surface scratches, even after I washed it out. So, a lighter color was in order this time. My wife and I refer to our Expy as "The Limo", due to the oxford white and tinted windows. Perhaps you should call yours The CIA Staff Car! Very cool and stealthy!

I hear ya on the lead foot, but I can't claim an alliance in that regard. My wife and I usually baby our vehicles, and only when I really need it do I dig down deep for the extra power. I always average close to the highway mpg figures, and above them when I actually do drive on the highway. I think driving habits have a LOT to do with that. We average 25 miles per gallon on our T-Bird around town, and 28 on the highway (280 horsepower). But when I merge onto the on ramp onto 101, watch out! I can't resist digging in and hearing the roar of the engine, while merging in with traffic that's already doing 75. I SWEAR that's the only time I do that.

:shrug:

One more quick note: Yesterday, while backing out of my parking spot at Ride Aid, a woman and her 12 year daughter came flying into the parking spot next to me - in their '97 Expedition. They jumped out and started yelling at us to roll down the windows - they were very excited to see our new Expy! We pulled back into the parking space and let them check it out. I think I made a sale for Ford yesterday. The woman was literally squealing as I showed her the nav, dvd, the power liftgate and fold rear seats....WOW were they excited! It's not necessary, but I guess it's a natural human need to feel validated about our choices from time to time, but many people have responded to this vehicle in a positive way. Always makes ya feel good!

Oh well, off to make a run to Home Depot! Have fun!

The Expy is a all around nice vehicle. i was going to order one a few weeks ago, but I couldn't justify it (I have no kids), therefore I went with the Lincoln MKZ. My husband has a F-150 and he said that when we do have kids he is getting the Expy.

Honestly, it is the best SUV ford has out right now.......

post-24063-1161898414_thumb.jpgpost-24063-1161898433_thumb.jpgpost-24063-1161898467_thumb.jpg

To Funny RadCad, I too found myself hiding in the EL watching a movie or playing with the nav. Both my husband and I would find an excuse to go out just to use the nav system. When I am out cleaning the EL the kids watch their favorite movies, they like the DVD player in the Expy better than in house.

I completely agree with you that this is by far the best SUV/truck of the year. The Expy El can meet many people needs. I for one was in the market for a large SUV and was about to trade my 03 Expy for an 07 Suburban because I have 4 young children and the Expedition wasnt meeting my needs. When I found out that Ford was coming out with an extened version I was excited. I think the EL is very luxurious for an SUV and very sound.

I think Ford has finally made the turn around and hopefully people will get a clue that American made is the way to go. All I have ever owned (except one) are Fords. I have been very unhappy with some, but right now we have an 06 F150 and the 07 Exp El and I am very pleased. We have driven many foriegn made cars and I liked a few but not enough to purchase one.

I'm glad you are happy with Vista's sales and service. I fwd your response to my Mom, who is the owners secretary and he read it with a big smile. She wanted me to thank you for being a loyal customer.

As for MPG I am not doing as good as you. The gauge is reading 13.5, when I fill up next week I will get the actual. I sort of have a lead foot and love the power of the Expy that I cant help myself, plus a lot of my driving is in town. Soon we will be doing a long trip camping so that will help out.

These are the only pictures I have as my digital camera took a dump, I will take some with the regular camera and post them when I get them...

ELLover Just wanted to let you know what a beautiful vehicle you have. ENJOY!!!!

ELLover Just wanted to let you know what a beautiful vehicle you have. ENJOY!!!!

Thankyou proman, I love it! I love the color as well since it looks black at night but doesnt show the dirt as much as black.

Is that the Carbon Clear Coat you've got? That was our second choice for color! With the darkly tinted side windows it looks so baaad (but good)!.

Yes its Carbon Clearcoat. I love the color and it isnt as bad as black it with the dirt. We plan on getting the windows tinted a bit darker and it would look like a CIA SUV huh!!!!

I think part of the reason why I am not getting as good of gas milage is because I live in Santa Clarita and there are tons of hills and that kills the gas, plus all the stop and go. I did drive out and took freeways yesterday and it says I am up to 14 MPG so maybe I just need more highway! I am thinking about putting a new muffler on and a few other things to help out with the gas milage (and exhaust sound). My husband works for Honda and some guy asked him if they could put these magnets on his exhaust, well I guess they are supposed to help with gas milage. So far he is up to 17-18 MPG from 14-15, and this is on an 06 F150. Since we dont have to pay for them he just kept them on. I think its a joke, I dont see how magnets can help with gas milage.

Well, off to go clean my baby again. Takes forever to dry the darn thing off...

MTPwife -

In turn, your comment made me smile (aren't we all just too freakin' happy)?!!

:lol:

It's good to know that the words of encouragement are reaching your family. I hope they are proud of their work on the Expedition, because they deserve to be!

You all are just making me smile!!! My hubby, My big Bro & my Dad ( now retired) work at the plant that makes the Expy. Thank you for your support of Ford & Michigan Truck Plant & my family!!!!

MTPwife:

Wanted to let you know that I appreciate the hard work that you and your family put in to the expy. I have owned two and have been very pleased. I have an 07 on the way hopefully by the end of November. Ford may design the expys but it's dedicated people like you and your family that put them together and make sure they don't clank, clunk, and shake. Great work!!!!!!

Thanks Rad & Pro, I'll tell the hubby , my big bro & my Dad all the nice things you've said. It's been pretty nerve wracking here with worrying over our future & we've not had much to smile about but I'm so happy that you like your expy & proud of all the folks at MTP. Don't forget to spread the news about your high opinion of the Expy. MTP will probably be going down to one shift in the spring unless more orders come in & a satisfied customer is the best advertisement! :)

Thanks again & may you always be blessed & proud Ford owner. :)

To anyone interested-

After 12 days (love the big gas tank!) I finally re-fueled my Expy. My official mpg figures were 16.45 miles per gallon. This was mostly driving around town (Tiff, I live in Ojai so I too have some hills), with about 1/4 of the miles on the highway.

Again, the low fuel warning on the dashboard message center was VERY conservative. It showed 44 miles until empty, and the gas tank still had 8.5 gallons of gas in it when I filled up. At my 16.45 mpg average, I'd be able to drive another 139 miles before running dry.

To anyone interested-

After 12 days (love the big gas tank!) I finally re-fueled my Expy. My official mpg figures were 16.45 miles per gallon. This was mostly driving around town (Tiff, I live in Ojai so I too have some hills), with about 1/4 of the miles on the highway.

Again, the low fuel warning on the dashboard message center was VERY conservative. It showed 44 miles until empty, and the gas tank still had 8.5 gallons of gas in it when I filled up. At my 16.45 mpg average, I'd be able to drive another 139 miles before running dry.

Awesome gas mileage!!! I am going to fill up today too. My low fuel just came on so I am curious to see how many gallons I will take. Thank God gas is cheaper now too. I will post back with my MPG which I know is not going to be as good as yours, as I am a lead foot. haha

Awesome gas mileage!!! I am going to fill up today too. My low fuel just came on so I am curious to see how many gallons I will take. Thank God gas is cheaper now too. I will post back with my MPG which I know is not going to be as good as yours, as I am a lead foot. haha

Well, I took 27 gallons, and my Miles till empty read 36 haha ya right. Better safe than sorry though... So I had 7 gallons left. My estimated MPG was a nasty 12.3 YUCK!!!!!!!! I really need to lay off the gas, but its so hard when the EL is so powerful and sounds so good. We are going to start doing some long road trips so it should help out in the gas mileage part. I still only have 850 miles on the EL.

Did you calculate your mileage using miles driven/gallons at fill up? Or did you use the estimated mileage on the dashboard message center? My message center estimate was lower (15.7) than what I actually got (16.45), so yours may actually be a bit better.

You're right though, when you mash the pedal the sound is awesome! Makes me want to get aftermarket mufflers so I can hear it even better.

-Ray