Toyota Tundra

Catalepsy

So now you are a Honda tech? No that isnt it. The early Honda 1.3L and 1.5L motors tore thru headgaskets. Aluminum cylinder heads that have exhaust valves next to each other such as the Chrysler 2.2L and Honda 1.3L and 1.5L, are vulnerable to localized overheating tion, detonation and overheating).
You found me out. I have never worked on a Honda before in my life. I bow to your superior intelligence. All those big words you used..wow..I am impressed. NOT.

Seriously, I have worked on Hondas (and other brands) for years. I stand by my statement. I haven't seen any prone to failure. 1.3's and 1.5's? Ok, you're going back into the late 70's and early 80's but even at that I still haven't changed one out unless it was negleted. Got a CRX sitting out back with over 250K and a 1.5L wagon with over 400K. Serviced many more. Havne't seen any blow a head gasket yet. Change the coolant and thermostat, change the water pump and belt at 60K, and put gas in em. That's about it.

The Chrysler 2.2's gave trouble if they were carbureted but the FI's usually didn't give any trouble. But the Chrysler gaskets were never due to heat. Quite the contrary. I can tell you if you took a 2.2 and drove it easy until it was warmed up, and I mean very easy, you wouldn't have any gasket trouble. But most people don't do that. They turn the key and drive it just like they would if it were warmed up. Well, at least they tried. The 2.2 carbureted was a cold blooded engine and I think the cold weather drivability plus the cold gasket performance was the problem.

I had a 2.2L in a Horizon and a 2.5L in a Dodge Spirit and both made it to over 200K with no gasket issues BUT I know that if I would have driven it normally during warm up, both would have failed.

I do find it hilarious this all started with my stating a well known fact about the suspect 3.8L Ford engines, which shouldn't even be disputed, and, once again, the pro Ford trolls jump on it like a trampline. "Well, Honda did it too, and Chrysler, they had one go out..see BEC, you need to step back..." Glad you could jump in, Stang. The pro Ford trolling woudln't be the same without ya!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You found me out. I have never worked on a Honda before in my life. I bow to your superior intelligence. All those big words you used..wow..I am impressed. NOT.

Seriously, I have worked on Hondas (and other brands) for years. I stand by my statement. I haven't seen any prone to failure. 1.3's and 1.5's? Ok, you're going back into the late 70's and early 80's but even at that I still haven't changed one out unless it was negleted. Got a CRX sitting out back with over 250K and a 1.5L wagon with over 400K. Serviced many more. Havne't seen any blow a head gasket yet. Change the coolant and thermostat, change the water pump and belt at 60K, and put gas in em. That's about it.

The Chrysler 2.2's gave trouble if they were carbureted but the FI's usually didn't give any trouble. But the Chrysler gaskets were never due to heat. Quite the contrary. I can tell you if you took a 2.2 and drove it easy until it was warmed up, and I mean very easy, you wouldn't have any gasket trouble. But most people don't do that. They turn the key and drive it just like they would if it were warmed up. Well, at least they tried. The 2.2 carbureted was a cold blooded engine and I think the cold weather drivability plus the cold gasket performance was the problem.

I had a 2.2L in a Horizon and a 2.5L in a Dodge Spirit and both made it to over 200K with no gasket issues BUT I know that if I would have driven it normally during warm up, both would have failed.

I do find it hilarious this all started with my stating a well known fact about the suspect 3.8L Ford engines, which shouldn't even be disputed, and, once again, the pro Ford trolls jump on it like a trampline. "Well, Honda did it too, and Chrysler, they had one go out..see BEC, you need to step back..." Glad you could jump in, Stang. The pro Ford trolling woudln't be the same without ya!!

We now have the pro Honda troll who still adamantly refuses to accept that Honda has had similar issues. It's two of us that recall the early problems Honda had with it's 4 cyl engines and four that claim failures in 3.8 Fords. Just like you haven't had gasket problems on your Hondas with good maintenance and care, I have also had no 3.8 failures with the same procedures. I'm sure you will still say I'm wrong because Ford had an extended warranty and Honda didn't step up and help their customers. Toyota offered warranty help on engines with sludge problems while denying that their engine is at fault. So how is it that Ford is admitting a design problem and Toyota isn't?

Ford extended their warranty on head gaskets, but if owners took the same care of their vehicle as bec does, they wouldn't have had failures. Doesn't sound like a junk motor to me. It's just that bec is a hateful Honda troll that has to bring up something negative about Fords and then attacks anyone who doesn't concede is has all his facts straight.

Sorry to use big word on you!, If people would let them just warm up,, right. They dont do that. So now you are a Chrysler Tech too? I was and I relpaced many headgaskets on them. I have never replaced headgaskets on a 3.8 that was well maintained, I have replaced them on vehicles that had t-stats that stuck, leaking/bad waterpumps and other coolant issues. I have never replaced headgaskets on any of my own vehicle. So I guess I must be doing something wrong. Also can I have the Mega millions numbers for next week since you can see the future

BUT I know that if I would have driven it normally during warm up, both would have failed.
:hysterical:

I love how you say your hondas get :blah: :blah: milelage, and act like domestics cant. You sound like the Amsoil guy coming into my shop braggin how his Honda had 200k using his oil, then I walked him out to my car that had 250k using conventional oil. And never burnt a drop in 4000 miles.Or leaked. I can make any and I mean any domestic motor outlive a import. Plus how can you hurt a 60hp, no torque import motor that only revs to 3000 rpm. :doh:

My first "new" car (Dealer demo with 3,500 miles on it) was a 1979 Honda Civic with a pre-CVCC 1300 engine (manual choke, regular leaded gas). I don't remember how many miles I put on it before I sold it, but I do remember that I had no mechanical problems whatsoever, except unusually squeeky front discs (which problem I haven't had on any other car until my '02 T-Bird, which sounds like a clapped-out CV taxi when I apply the brakes). And little rust bubbles on the panel between the bumper and the body - a well known problem with Hondas at that time. Certainly no problems with the engine or drivetrain. But, I'm sure they were all pieces of crap if toyboxrv says so. My wife's Accords too, no doubt. We just haven't noticed it yet, because we're all part of some unexplained and unexplainable conspiracy to destroy American industry.

Edited by retro-man

We now have the pro Honda troll who still adamantly refuses to accept that Honda has had similar issues. It's two of us that recall the early problems Honda had with it's 4 cyl engines and four that claim failures in 3.8 Fords. Just like you haven't had gasket problems on your Hondas with good maintenance and care, I have also had no 3.8 failures with the same procedures.

Maybe thats because we work on cars for a living and see what really goes on. I love how people that have owned like 5 cars, think they know everything about all cars. So how did this go from Toyoda Tundra to Ford headgaskets.

bec5150

As far as "Ford gaskets", my father owned one of the Windstar disposible 3.8L engines. Don't tell me about Ford gaskets...sore, SORE subject.
:cry:

So you are saying the well documented, 3.8L problems are due to folks not being able to read a temperature gauge?
Edited by 06StangAwesomecar

Seems to always go this way on this board lately. That'd be why I usually just lurk now and stay out of the mudslinging...

As for the Tundra, Toyota has a long way to go. Will the '07 do this? Time will tell. My experience with the previous generation isn't stellar, so I'm more than pessimistic that they will succede. We had the pleasure (displeasure...?) of renting an '06 Tundra crew cab for a month this summer. Well, for a new truck that was supposedly a 1/2 ton it was a major let down. We had an '04 Titan, an '05 Silverado, and my trusty '92 F150 for comparison. Other than having better overall power than my '92, it was hind tit in all other areas, especially front seat room. The soft, floppy TRD suspension was a handful when hauling a heavy quad trailer on gravel, let me tell you. And you shouldn't have to rev a motor that high to get power in a truck. So, I'm sure the '07 Tundra will be a significant improvement in all areas. Hard not to be! I just don't believe it will be the ruin & end of the domestic trucks.

Edited by DJB

Maybe thats because we work on cars for a living and see what really goes on. I love how people that have owned like 5 cars, think they know everything about all cars. So how did this go from Toyoda Tundra to Ford headgaskets.

bec5150

:cry:

I forgot. I don't work on cars...EVER. Only five. And I know nothing. You and Toy are all knowing, not biased at all, and I am just some pro Honda troll talkin out my arse.

There, you feel better now?

My first "new" car (Dealer demo with 3,500 miles on it) was a 1979 Honda Civic with a pre-CVCC 1300 engine (manual choke, regular leaded gas). I don't remember how many miles I put on it before I sold it, but I do remember that I had no mechanical problems whatsoever, except unusually squeeky front discs (which problem I haven't had on any other car until my '02 T-Bird, which sounds like a clapped-out CV taxi when I apply the brakes). And little rust bubbles on the panel between the bumper and the body - a well known problem with Hondas at that time. Certainly no problems with the engine or drivetrain. But, I'm sure they were all pieces of crap if toyboxrv says so. My wife's Accords too, no doubt. We just haven't noticed it yet, because we're all part of some unexplained and unexplainable conspiracy to destroy American industry.

Excuse me, but where did I say that those Hondas were pieces of crap? All I said is they had as many problems as the 3.8L Ford did. It's bec that said the Ford was a POS. Don't overheat those Hondas and they likely won't blow a head gasket, same with the Ford.

Excuse me, but where did I say that those Hondas were pieces of crap? All I said is they had as many problems as the 3.8L Ford did. It's bec that said the Ford was a POS. Don't overheat those Hondas and they likely won't blow a head gasket, same with the Ford.

Not same as with the 3.8L Ford in question. The 3.8L Ford in question would blow a head gasket in a cocaine minute no matter how you drove them. That's why Ford offered an extended warranty on the suspect engines. Unfortunatly, they didn't get em all. The 96's weren't covered but they give trouble as well.

But we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I am sorry that you cannot be distracted by the facts.

I forgot. I don't work on cars...EVER. Only five. And I know nothing. You and Toy are all knowing, not biased at all, and I am just some pro Honda troll talkin out my arse.

There, you feel better now?

All I was saying is Hondas did have gasket problems, you said you never have seen one, so that makes it untrue, Also I never said headgaskets didnt happen on the 3.8. Also I pointed to some other engines, you say only the carburated 2.2L had issues. Not true. There was less due to the fact Chrysler changed headgasket designs. and figured the bimetal stress issues.(went thru my class notes from Chrysler on this paticular issue,) I am not all knowing, I learn something everyday. I also have worked for Chrysler, independents and my own shop. so I have seen alot of differant cars come and go. Most cars with issues are usually poorly maintained. And the ones that are well maintained usually go the distance, import or domestic. Also if the gaskets were done under warranty they did the absolute minimum, and if they used scotch brite pads it was going to be back. Honda makes good engines I will never disagree with that, but to act like they are problem free, not right. Tonight I was talking to a guy at work about his Windstar, and asked if he has ever had headgasket issue , he said no, and that the van had 187k on it. I guess he was one of the lucky ones.