Nextel Discount?

JoviGirl

My husband works at the Chicago assembly plant, where our Verizon cell phones stopped working almost a year ago. He says that Nextel/Sprint work because they now have a tower ON the plant itself. He also heard that Nextel offers a discount to Ford employees, but we cant find any info to back this up..........anyone have an idea if this is true, and if so, how do we get this discount?

If you go to the ford employee website, and click on discount marketplace, you will find a link for nextell. You get 10%, off any plan you choose, plus you sometimes get a better rebate on your phone. Call your order directly to Nextel, DON'T go to one of the outlet stores. I have found they will short change you on a rebate, or not fully recognize your discount. Call Nextell's 1-800 number, and tell them that you are a ford employee.

I know Sprint and Nextel are one in the same but for some reason Sprint gives employees a better discount. It is true that Nextel gives 10% but Sprint gives 24%. Why 24% and not 20% or 25% I have no idea. That's what they told me though. They explained the discount in a strange way though. Instead of giving a 24% discount they still charge you the full price and then credit your bill 24%. I'm not sure why but that's what two different sprint stores have told me. Of course if you are looking for the 2-way you will have to go with Nextel and take the 10%. Hope this information helps in your decision making process.

Remember that despite the fact that Sprint and Nextel have merged, the two systems are on different networks and operate on different frequencies. So a Sprint phone will not necessarily be able to access the Nextel tower.

As far as calling to get service, go ahead as long as you enjoy calling India. I operate a business, and wanted a second line added to my two-line Nextel phone. It took me no less than 5 hours over 2 weeks' time to get it done. I explained (as nicely as possible) to one man that I could not understand his English, and was labeled an "abusive customer" after which the sytem automatically disconnected me every time I called until I blocked my number from caller ID.

I'd rather pay more and deal with a person face to face than spend hours on the phone to complete a simple transaction.

Thank you for all of the helpful replies. I was hoping Sprint was included in that discount, so it was good to see it was. I will have him ask around work and see if anyone has a Sprint phone that works. I have heard that their customer service is crap, though. I have had Verizon for 9 years and was very happy with it, until Ford did whatever to block out the signal.

I enjoy reading all your posts..........Happy Thanksgiving all.

Thank you for all of the helpful replies. I was hoping Sprint was included in that discount, so it was good to see it was. I will have him ask around work and see if anyone has a Sprint phone that works. I have heard that their customer service is crap, though. I have had Verizon for 9 years and was very happy with it, until Ford did whatever to block out the signal.

I enjoy reading all your posts..........Happy Thanksgiving all.

I just called Nextel and told them I was a Ford employee, They put me through to the proper extention in seconds and they all were english speaking females,

If you go to your union rep(if you can find him), he should be able to print you out a sheet with all the calling plans, their prices and the discount prices. That's how I got mine. As for calling Nextel, I just went to an authorized Nextel dealer, showed them my work ID and everything went smooth. You also get a big discount on the phones. I bought the Motorola i850, list price was $250, I paid $172. If they have the phone in stock, you can get it that same day(I did), if not they will have to mail it to you. Hope this helps