Ford Edge vs Explorer

I've been waiting for 4 months now for my Edge, but the sales rep can't seem to locate the Edge I ordered.

This, without the vista roof.

I've asked him to put together a comparably equipped XLT 6cyl, 4 WD in case my Edge doesn't show up in his showroom by the weekend of the Dec 16th.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2007 Explorer vs the Edge.

Thanks for your input.

I had an Edge on order, but then discovered two things. First, the Edge cargo compartment is not wide enough for my needs. Second, the Explorer cargo compartment is radically more useful if you order it without the 3rd row seat, which means that there is no bulge on the left side for the rear HVAC, and without the Audiophile system, which means there is no bulge on the right side for the subwoofer and amplifier. Of course, the Explorer provides the pleasure of a V8 and rear wheel drive. Why would anyone order the Explorer six, as the V8 has the same MPG ratings? Even as much as I drive (30,000 plus miles per year for business), the Explorer only uses about $50 more gasoline per month than an Edge.

Edited by FStephenMasek

I had an Edge on order, but then discovered two things. First, the Edge cargo compartment is not wide enough for my needs. Second, the Explorer cargo compartment is radically more useful if you order it without the 3rd row seat, which means that there is no bulge on the left side for the rear HVAC, and without the Audiophile system, which means there is no bulge on the right side for the subwoofer and amplifier. Of course, the Explorer provides the pleasure of a V8 and rear wheel drive. Why would anyone order the Explorer six, as the V8 has the same MPG ratings? Even as much as I drive (30,000 plus miles per year for business), the Explorer only uses about $50 more gasoline per month than an Edge.

Thanks for the reply.

Can 3 people sit comfortably in the back seat??

Is the ride smooth?

My Mercury Montego is very harsh on bumps and the rear seating capacity is a bit snug.

The road & wind noise at speed.......is annoying!!!!

I'm looking for a smooth riding car, that will be able to haul 4 passengers and myself in comfort, quiet and reliably, especially in the snow!

I drive livery; put about 65-75 thousand miles a year on the road...so I'm looking for a great ride for my clients.

Thanks for the reply.

Can 3 people sit comfortably in the back seat??

Is the ride smooth?

My Mercury Montego is very harsh on bumps and the rear seating capacity is a bit snug.

The road & wind noise at speed.......is annoying!!!!

I'm looking for a smooth riding car, that will be able to haul 4 passengers and myself in comfort, quiet and reliably, especially in the snow!

I drive livery; put about 65-75 thousand miles a year on the road...so I'm looking for a great ride for my clients.

I have an Aviator and have owned 2 other explorers and one expedition. If by back seat you mean the 2nd row - in the explorer it will be tight for 3 adults but they'll fit. The expedition will have much more room in the 2nd row for 3 adults. As for the 3rd row, it's only suitable for 2 in the explorer. The expedition might fit 3 but it would be tight.

An Expedition would be much more comfortable and carry a lot more cargo than an Explorer or an Edge.

I wanted a pickup bed for incidental household use, (lawnmower, edger, mulch etc.), that could be useful as a driver 95% of the time.

We bought a 2007 Sport Trac V8 Limited with everything but the heated winshield(?), Chrome pkg,(ugly & cheap looking) and the Nav system, I can still read maps, even at my age...

As posted elsewhere on the board, We drove it to Mass when it had 1100 miles on it, the whole trip was 3150 miles R/T. We went up 95 from Florida to Boston running predominantly 75-95 mph on Cruise Control and simply kept up with the traffic flow.

I got 19.8 mpg for the entire trip, Oh yeah, it wasn't even broken in yet.

I did change to Mobil 1 and install a K&N drop-in filter prior to the trip.

Since we have been back in Florida, we are now getting 18-20 city and when I drive the 100 mile R/T to KSC I get 23.8 at a steady 65-75 mph with cruise on.

I would buy an Explorer V8 over the Edge without even a second's hesitation, mileage difference is minmial in the real world and trucks are tougher than CUV's anyday.

I also agree that the cargo area is more useful in the Explorer.

We love our Trac and I think this is the best Ford truck I have ever owned and believe me I have had about 8 so far.......

Also, edge is a first year product, I have learned to never buy the first year...my trac is based on proven Explorer parts and in fact has not 1 issue or defect so far.

Did I mention the $$ difference? Rebates/Discounts big on Explorer...36K for a loaded Edge is just Nuts vs 25-30K for a truck.

Simply my opinion, yours will vary.

Edited by oldracer

Yes, Oldracer has another point - you can buy an Explorer for an excellent price. I bought the 2006 EB V8 for $6,000 below MSRP, and there are surely still 2006 models on dealership lots, probably at even better prices (make sure to deal with the fleet / Internet department).

As for the ride, it is good sometimes, and rougher than I would like at other times. I wish it rode like out 1994 Thunderbird LX V8 which also had an independent rear suspension. However, mine has the tow package. The Ford literature gives no indications that the springs and shocks are different with the tow package, but I suspect that they may be different. The ride is better than that of the 2002 Mountaineer V8 I owned, and the 2006 Explorer is radically quieter.

Edited by FStephenMasek

Thanks guys for all the opinions.

I've told my dealer..."if the car is not in the showroom by 12/16 to forget about the Edge!"

I'll go with the '07 Explorer XLT V8

The reviews about the '06 Explorer have been very good and I have no reason to believe the 07 will be any less stellar.

VB

If you have not already done so, this site has a link to download the order guide so that you can make sure that the XLT has what you want. I was all set to order a 2007 XLT V8 when I discovered the dealer closest to my house had several 2006 EB V* Explorers on the lot. Just by chance, that was also the day Ford came out with a $3,500 rebate on the 2006 models.

If you have not already done so, this site has a link to download the order guide so that you can make sure that the XLT has what you want. I was all set to order a 2007 XLT V8 when I discovered the dealer closest to my house had several 2006 EB V* Explorers on the lot. Just by chance, that was also the day Ford came out with a $3,500 rebate on the 2006 models.

Thanks for the tip.

Because I drive livery, we have to get a Black vehicle with Black leather interior.

So far, all the dealers around me don't seem to have this configuation in an '06.

I'm hoping thel'll be able to find one so i could save a few$$$$.

Hey guys, I just canceled my Edge and purchased a 2006 Explorer Limited!! Black on Black.

$4,000 cash back!!!!!

V8, DVD player, audiophile sound system (290 watts w/subwoofer),

18 in wheels, dual climate controls, heated leather seats...etc.

Total cost...$30,500 delivered!

Hasta la vista Edge!

Interesting because my experience as a rear passenger in a Five Hundred was that it rode well over the bumps. But you may be talking about the driving experience, and there I can see more of what you're talking about.

• 1 month later...

You made the right move. I did not wait for the Edge either. I instead opted for the 2006 Mountaineer Premier back in July. With the X-Plan, I was able to get Navigation, Sunroof, power folding rear seats, power folding running boards, quad seating group and Sirius for $32,500. I am really happy with the quality and the utility of the Mountaineer.