Lincoln Introduces MK S Concept

Blue Oval Guide

What's my opinion on the MkS?

Nice.

large pix (800 pixels wide) at carsphyshots.net

interior - tail - face - front quarter - rear quarter - mostly side

Before I say anything else let me say that having the 315hp 4.4 v8 in it (and a timely intro?) makes up for anything that's not quite up to my other expections...

Hopefully it will be followed by a forced induction 4.4 with around 400hp,

a slightly higher hp base v8 version with direct injection,

AND

a bored out version of the 3.5 v6 (3.8? 300hp?) for when gas (recurringly) hits $5.

That said, this isn't the direction I hoped they'd go. I was hoping for something more LINCOLN. The exterior could be a Lexus. The interior could be a fresh version of the Infiniti M45. But from the initial web-comments I've seen, the under-30-crowd who like those cars, also like the MkS. That's GOOD NEWS.

I do think it needs tweaking and in the first facelift I'd like to see a more-muscular, less-flowing hood - like an exageration of the Zephyr's (see attachment 725x550)... for the MkX/Aviator too.

The VistaRoof is great. But there's too much roof molding/trim. The side vents are going to be trite very quickly as other manufacturers are already adopting them.

The neither traditional-vertical-slats nor new/old-crosshatch grille should be one or the other as standard and offer the other as an option. No, all Lincolns don't need to look the same, but I think 2 optimized strong looks are better than many variations that are neither here nor there.

The tail lights are better than the Zephyr's - a bit like a chop I did in 2004... but that was as a Ford, not a Lincoln (attachment 382x254). Maybe they'll be better and look more like LED's when lit.

I give FML a lot of credit of accomplishing imho an 'Intense Presence' with the 4 show vehicles I've seen so far - Reflex, MkX, MkS, & SuperChief - can't wait to see some of the less flamboyant tho equally important updates I hope are coming.

(edit: fixed link)

post-15078-1136803506.jpg

post-15078-1136803675.jpg

Edited by 2b2

What's your opinion on the MK S?

Great looking car! A good replacement for the LS and Continental that has also been rumored for a come back. This is not going to be a Towncar replacement. I hope they don't change it much for production. I would also guess they would add a V6 model, maybe the new 3.5 liter with a little more HP, 280 maybe. If they release a FWD model it will be the kiss of death in this class, keep it AWD. FWD dirve does not sell well in this class of cars.

I am happy that they went to the new naming conventions. The old names bring back, to many people, the old and negative thoughts of the last 8 to 10 years of Lincoln, except for the LS. It’s more in line with the competition. I hope it comes out as a 2007, they can't wait until 2008 to have a competitive car in this class.

I also think that they are WAY too concerned about keeping the people who are buying their cars today. Most of the 60+ aged buyers, buy AMERICAN, and they will buy Lincoln even with modern designs that the rest of us might buy. They will not lose these buyers because they make a sporty, good handling car. Have you looked at the average age of buyers in the $45K+ range for any make?

Overall, I like it. It looks a bit more feline than I was expecting, but hey, I'm all for Ford trying something new with the Lincoln brand. It has a slightly Acura-ish feel to it, at least from the front.

I have to disagree with you a bit on the taillights, 2b2. While I'm not crazy about the Zephyr's rear end, I like it more than the MKS. The taillights on the concept make me think of a cross between a Maybach's and a Suzuki Forenza's. And the side vents, if becoming a bit tired, are probably the most successful application I've seen of this trend. I was impressed when I saw the close-up shot of this detail.

The interior is amazing- if only it would make it to production!

I read a comment somewhere that the executive who introduced the MKS said the other Volvo-based Lincoln sedan would be more formal and less sporty than the MKS. I wonder what that will look like ...

...While I'm not crazy about the Zephyr's rear end, I like it more than the MKS. The taillights on the concept make me think of a cross between a Maybach's and a Suzuki Forenza's...

guess the tail lights I'm thinking of instead are these...

20050415-maserati-qp.jpg

kinda wish they'd used more Quattroporte themes, ie the front...

& I believe this car IS production ready except for a couple deliberately changed details for the showcar...

QUOTE(bottom of page @ http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=22329)

"The new 2007 Lincoln MKS takes flight in spring of 2006 and is part of the new look helping to define the modern Lincoln showroom."

Now, maybe they just meant the concept but it doesn't sound like it to me. In fact, a lot of the verbiage on Ford's site sounds awfully carefully worded - even tricksy.

If we only have to wait until spring to see the production version, I will be a very happy guy!

Yeah, that'd be a trip, wouldn't it!

What's the last major U.S. autoshow? NYC? Can you imagine everyone expecting the concept to re-appear and BAM! there's the real thing with an announcement it's arriving in dealerships the same day!!!

as I said in the SchoolOfRandomThoughts:

The people Lincoln needs as customers have more dollars than sense, no knowledge of history or heritage (and don't want any!), and have been brainwashed by asian mfgs to be unable to appreciate good design (or buy it). So instead of LINCOLN, we get MkLincolnese. If there was such a thing as the Spirit-of-Lincoln, she's anxiously waiting for the post-boomer consumers' kids to grow up, rebel against their parents' crassness (gen X-Y-Whatever's defining characteristic), and create a market for things that not only taste good, but have good taste.

In the mean time, Lincoln might be the first domestic brand that 'does import' as well as the Imports...

Glancing at the MkS's specs, it's 203.8" is longer than any of the lux imports other than the A8-L and XJ, except...

I think they're targeting this AND the larger E386 at the next Lexus LS, which will come in regular and long wheelbase models. And, ya know, the "grosser luxoid" might be the only target that really matters...

QUOTE(Peter M. DeLorenzo, http://autoextremist.com/page2.shtml#Rant)

"Biggest Threat to the Luxury Status Quo. I will make a prediction right here and right now: In two years the Lexus LS 460 will be considered the finest luxury car available in North America. Toyota will usurp Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Cadillac and Audi in one fell swoop with this new luxury entry - and the luxury market will be turned upside down once and for all."

How about, in a couple years, MkLincoln is tied with Luxoid ?!?

Just a guess - maaaaybe a non-production concept for the Lincoln MAV at NYC, but I hope for the real production Merc MetaOne in Chicago - I'm pretty confident it won't disappoint...

but I WISH Chicago would have the Montego3.5 with (Milan-ish taillites &) an announcement that it'll intro before the end of the year!

Actually, at this point I'm most curious about Panther news (& maybe, just maybe even D2Cou . . . ). I have a hunch something may be cooking with the GM, more than "just-an-update" - but I'm probably wrong.

Edited by 2b2

I have a hunch something may be cooking with the GM, more than "just-an-update" - but I'm probably wrong.

I hope you're right about this one. The GM/CV/TC needs to be taken out back and put down. I know the platform is paid for (many times over) and that the livery trade will be at a loss when these cars finally die, but having them around certainly doesn't support Ford's overmarketed "Innovation etc" campaign. I think of all the brands, Lincoln will have the hardest time digging itself out of the grave if it continues to use this platform. It will never be taken seriously as a luxury nameplate as long as the Panther-based TC is around.

But like you said, maybe there will be a surprise in Chicago!

...but having them around certainly doesn't support Ford's overmarketed "Innovation etc" campaign. I think of all the brands, Lincoln will have the hardest time digging itself out of the grave if it continues to use this platform. It will never be taken seriously as a luxury nameplate as long as the Panther-based TC is around.

Sounds like you're thinking along some similar lines, OG. :)

Tho I have no problem with Lincoln 'preserving tradition' by offering a suitably updated Panther alongside their new Awd sedans, what you say maybe be true for many of the shoppers Lincoln wants/needs to attract...

Since the GM has the highest percent of retail sales, maybe it could work out OK having a single brand on the Panther platform, use 3 of the 4 sizes for retail versions (Marauder/Marquis/GrandMarquis), keep the longest for livery, and the platform will be kept 'alive' in case they ever decide to re-introduce a Lincoln Panther or Ford Galaxie...

A Marauder-Interceptor would be cool too B), just use a plain grille & a "CommercialVehicle" badge for taxis. Wonder how much would be saved having only one version of headlites/taillites... Oh well, 4 more days.

Just to stay on topic, here's some different views of the MkS I found.

hmmm, I wonder how a blacked-out A-pillar would look?

lincoln26hk.jpg

lincoln39px.jpg

10000345ca.th.jpg by jry@GMI, click for larger

and my favorite interior shot (#5), Ascariss@carspyshots

Edited by 2b2

I think of all the brands, Lincoln will have the hardest time digging itself out of the grave if it continues to use this platform. It will never be taken seriously as a luxury nameplate as long as the Panther-based TC is around.

As much as I love the Panthers, you may be right. Would Cadillac be where it is today if it still built the B body Fleetwood?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...