Ford Sync

Of course, most rental companies don't get fleet cars with these from the OEM either, they put a cheapo little velcro-on device in later, with one button on it, and charge an extra 20 bucks a day for the pleasure of fighting it's "directions." They are just slightly more effective/fun than trailing a phone chord behind you for 20 miles to stay on the line with someone with a map.

Not true. Hertz uses the Neverlost system which I use everytime I rent.. It's a great system with excellent verbal instructions. It's $8 a day extra.

I see that Ford only has the exclusive until 2008.

Most likely what will happen, probably in late 2008, Ford will sign another exclusive contract with Microsoft for the next generation version of Sync that will come out in 2009.

This Sync thing is the tip of the iceberg guys. Later iterations will change how we drive our cars. Imagine sticking a USB thumbdrive into the steering column and having your car set itself up just for you (seating position, heater/AC, radio stations, iPod playlist, voice mail, e-mail...the possibilities are endless).

This is great, I'm so glad Ford is finally doing something like this. Even if this does get copied, which I'm sure it will, I'm glad to see Ford is the one pioneering this technology, and actually producing something desirable in their vehicles. I am concerned about the $1000 sticker price though, for that I could install some pretty nice after market equipment that could probably do pretty close to the same thing. However the price may be simply an issue of supply and demand. I'd imagine, about a year after it's become common place, It will drop by potentially as much as 50-75%, like most new technologies. Of course a year from now, they won't have the rights to it either, but maybe they'll take rights to a renewed version, that would be nice.

A few other technologies I think we'll see incorporated into vehicles, besides what Mackinaw said, are weather predictions , wouldn't it be cool to see those doppler weather scans on your GPS. Also accidents, and construction would be nice too, you should see some of the overlays you can get for Google earth. Just about all of the above can be viewed from your computer in real time, so why not your car? The thing could find routes based on weather, traffic, and road conditions, I think thatll be the next big tech thing, or does it already exist?

• 1 month later...
A few other technologies I think we'll see incorporated into vehicles, besides what Mackinaw said, are weather predictions , wouldn't it be cool to see those doppler weather scans on your GPS. Also accidents, and construction would be nice too, you should see some of the overlays you can get for Google earth. Just about all of the above can be viewed from your computer in real time, so why not your car? The thing could find routes based on weather, traffic, and road conditions, I think thatll be the next big tech thing, or does it already exist?

You can be also guaranteed that aftermarket companies will take this technology from ford and Microsoft and RUN with it! By the time you start finding cars with this option, you'll have companies offering extra "goodies" for your SYNC. I can just see it now, having the option to go to a certain website, download some software for a price, upload it to your mobile flash drive, stick the flash drive into your USB port in your car, and WHAMMY! you'll be on ur way of having extra incentives for buying this SYNC system. I imagine this would be an incredible business opportunity for a young entrepreneur that has a knack for computer technology and software development.

OH and off topic from my post but, does anyone know why this isn't offered in the new 08 Escapes? Is it because they had an early production run and will have this option later in the year whenever other cars have this system come online?

Edited by blk05stang