Woodhaven Skilledtrades layoff

firedude26

Apparently we didn't get enough trades to take the buyout! Thats what they told us. Even though we've almost cut are plant population by a third! I think we've had almost 500 people leave.

Just heard today that 6 more MW's on top of last weeks 8 will be laid off Fri. How many MW's does WSP have anyway??? Must be a shit load.

Just heard today that 6 more MW's on top of last weeks 8 will be laid off Fri. How many MW's does WSP have anyway??? Must be a shit load.

We will be down to about 23 Millwrights. 3 Carpenters, 14 Machine Repair, 3 Welders, 12 Electricians, 1 Refrig. Main. & Inst., & 10 Welder Repair were cut today. Have they cut any trades at BSP or CSP yet? It looks like this COA we have is going to cut the hell out of the trades. Our concern is, are they going to try to bring outside contracters in, while we have trades on layoff. This COA is opening a big can of worms! So far, every time we file a greivence on something, the company replies "the COA allows us to do it". LOD doesn't mean shit now.

It looks like this COA we have is going to cut the hell out of the trades. Our concern is, are they going to try to bring outside contracters in, while we have trades on layoff. This COA is opening a big can of worms! So far, every time we file a greivence on something, the company replies "the COA allows us to do it". LOD doesn't mean shit now.

Well thank you Mr. Gettelfinger.......piece of shit !! Trades better start socking some xtra $$ away. Maybe Solidarity House should have their phone lines tied up by all the calls from trades and flowbacks and non-flowbackers. They say the squeeky wheel gets the grease. We're gonna get it w/o the grease.

We will be down to about 23 Millwrights. 3 Carpenters, 14 Machine Repair, 3 Welders, 12 Electricians, 1 Refrig. Main. & Inst., & 10 Welder Repair were cut today. Have they cut any trades at BSP or CSP yet? It looks like this COA we have is going to cut the hell out of the trades. Our concern is, are they going to try to bring outside contracters in, while we have trades on layoff. This COA is opening a big can of worms! So far, every time we file a greivence on something, the company replies "the COA allows us to do it". LOD doesn't mean shit now.

I don't know the numbers on other trades, but, the 12 Electricians laid off are in addition to the 5 laid off last week and the 13 that took the buyout January 1st.

I am one of the layed off M/W's from Woodhaven. When I started my apprenticeship 8 years ago there were 62 Journeymen and 5 apprentices. 6 months ago we had 42 Journeymen and 7 apprentices. 7 Journeyman and 2 apprentices took the buyout, 10 Journeymen and 2 apprentices were layed off on Jan. 8th and 5 more Journeymen to be layed off starting today. That leaves just 22 Journeymen and 2 apprentices to cover 3 shifts at FOMOCO's biggest stamping plant! They cut our dept. by 50% from 6 months ago when they told us to expect 1/3. I'm pissed , but at the same time I hope I might get to go to another plant someday. Management can't be this stupid everywhere. 2 of 3 PE bosses on afternoons never had any trades experience, one was a Pepsi machine repairman and one was a brick estimator!! I should have taken a buyout!

I am one of the layed off M/W's from Woodhaven. When I started my apprenticeship 8 years ago there were 62 Journeymen and 5 apprentices. 6 months ago we had 42 Journeymen and 7 apprentices. 7 Journeyman and 2 apprentices took the buyout, 10 Journeymen and 2 apprentices were layed off on Jan. 8th and 5 more Journeymen to be layed off starting today. That leaves just 22 Journeymen and 2 apprentices to cover 3 shifts at FOMOCO's biggest stamping plant! They cut our dept. by 50% from 6 months ago when they told us to expect 1/3. I'm pissed , but at the same time I hope I might get to go to another plant someday. Management can't be this stupid everywhere. 2 of 3 PE bosses on afternoons never had any trades experience, one was a Pepsi machine repairman and one was a brick estimator!! I should have taken a buyout!

Just out of curiosity, has any of your local Union officials positions been eliminated? I assume with the numbers you are talking, you should have at least lost a third or more. Which ones (appointed/elected) are gone? Your COA apparently isn't what was promised you guys when you voted. I hope at your next election you show them your appreciation. A group of us in my plant are voting "new wave". We are tired of electing persons with over 30 years in that seem to sell out and retire only to have the same scenario play out time after time. I feel we should elect younger people that have to "face up" to thier actions as they can't run and retire. You have the experience arguement, but look where experience has taken us. We need fresh ideas. SOON !

Just out of curiosity, has any of your local Union officials positions been eliminated? I assume with the numbers you are talking, you should have at least lost a third or more. Which ones (appointed/elected) are gone? Your COA apparently isn't what was promised you guys when you voted. I hope at your next election you show them your appreciation. A group of us in my plant are voting "new wave". We are tired of electing persons with over 30 years in that seem to sell out and retire only to have the same scenario play out time after time. I feel we should elect younger people that have to "face up" to thier actions as they can't run and retire. You have the experience arguement, but look where experience has taken us. We need fresh ideas. SOON !

Because our plant population is down to around 1300, the plant chairman had to eliminate a district committeeman's job. The person he removed and sent back to the plant floor wouldn't kiss his ass. The sad part is, the former committeman was very good at his job. As far as appointed positions, none have been eliminated!

Management can't be this stupid everywhere. 2 of 3 PE bosses on afternoons never had any trades experience, one was a Pepsi machine repairman and one was a brick estimator!!

I beg to differ. Most management within Ford is that stupid. Our plant manager was a security guard at the plant next door and has moved up the corporate ladder to a position that he has minimal knowledge about. One of our trades supervisor's was a shoe salesman at footlocker (I believe he will be assistant plant manager soon). No wonder we are in the shape we are in.

The word today is that 30 more trades across the board are being laid off this coming Monday. Woodhaven is down to a skeleton crew as it is. The bean counters are running the company now, right into the ground. Woodhaven is a high maintenance plant. Everything is old and beat up from constant die sets and overuse, etc. We were promised a vote for the COA would keep us open for at least 5 more years, yada, yada, yada. Production people are being trained in a classroom to start thinking differently about their jobs, etc. They are going to be expected to do certain jobs that are "incidental" to their job, like changing cups, welding tips, proximity switches and programming robots. The crazy thing about all this is this seems to be the busiest January I've seen in a long time. All the lines are running, some of them three shifts. We are getting new work in the building from Maumee and elsewhere. There are a lot of production people still on midnights. These trade's cutbacks defy all logic. Equipment is going to be going down hard before too long, especially when the weather gets hot. The bad part is nobody is explaining the reasoning behind all of this. 99% of the trades getting laid off are going back to production. Where is the company planning on putting them all? Also, get this, two of our Electricians who came from the street are now back on the street. They heard, like everyone else, that there were a lot of openings for Electricians at Dearborn Truck. They were laid off the first or second week of January. Our Bargaining Committeman and our "Job Security" appointed Rep. put out a letter last week stating that as of January 5th there were approximately 70 openings for Electricians. BUT, as of January 10th there are ZERO openings available. Talk about a couple days late and tens of thousands of dollars short! This is The Way Forward, Without Us, finally come home to kick our ass.

Management can't be this stupid everywhere. 2 of 3 PE bosses on afternoons never had any trades experience, one was a Pepsi machine repairman and one was a brick estimator!! I should have taken a buyout!

Ha, ha, ha, ha, I know exactly which two bosses you're talking about! I don't think they thought it was so funny. Oh well. We heard on the floor today that some Millwrights from Woodhaven got picked up by Brownstown PDC. Any truth to it? Also heard that they may call back some trades soon. Should know more info tomorrow.

Because our plant population is down to around 1300, the plant chairman had to eliminate a district committeeman's job. The person he removed and sent back to the plant floor wouldn't kiss his ass. The sad part is, the former committeman was very good at his job. As far as appointed positions, none have been eliminated!

Same thing here at Wixom. I don't work in trades, but I have watched them eliminate a shift, eliminate 3 carlines, have a line speed reduction and yet the same people seem to be in place down at the committee room (although we have finally seen a reduction in their numbers due to the ones that took buyouts rather than go back to work). We had 3 ergonomics reps. and 2 Health & Safety reps. in a plant that is closing. WTF is that. We have about 1000 people (down from over 3000). I think that is part of their deal, they sell out the membership, feather their own nest and then tell us that they need to keep the extra people on to "help" the people on the floor in this "difficult time". You want to help the people on the floor, get off your sorry ass and go build some cars! :gang:

Ha, ha, ha, ha, I know exactly which two bosses you're talking about! I don't think they thought it was so funny. Oh well. We heard on the floor today that some Millwrights from Woodhaven got picked up by Brownstown PDC. Any truth to it? Also heard that they may call back some trades soon. Should know more info tomorrow.

Yep it's true! Got the call yesterday ,6 of us start at Brownstown PRC Monday morning! I really hope I like it so I'm not tempted to go back to Woodhaven if they ask.

Yep it's true! Got the call yesterday ,6 of us start at Brownstown PRC Monday morning! I really hope I like it so I'm not tempted to go back to Woodhaven if they ask.

I hope it works out for you guys. And don't forget, if you have a Pepsi machine broken or need to count some bricks, just give "Pinky and the Brain" a call!!! Good luck to you all.