Small volume vehicles

Why does it seem like Ford is the only automaker that seems to have a complete lack of ability to market niche/low volume vehicles?

A few examples:

Toyota has Scion

Honda has the Element/S2000

GM has the Solstice/Sky

And then there are entire BRANDS that are smaller:

Suzuki

Saab

Subaru

I'll exclude any of the higher end luxury marks from this issue, as its easy to understand why they can manage to be profitable on small volumes.

Whenever Ford launches a new vehicle it seems that the only hopes it ever has of being profitable is if they build 200,000+ vehicles on that platform. Why is this? Is Ford's manafacturing so inflexible that they can't cope with small volumes?

Isn't there a way Ford could actually make money and be HAPPY only selling 40-50,000 Freestyles a year? Why does it need to be a hit in order to continue building it?

Why was the Thunderbird killed while still selling around 20,000 units a year? Some smaller brands would LOVE to sell that many of a particular model in a single year.

Why is the Ranger left to rot on the vine? Does Ford consider it "low volume" and simply not care? 180,000+ units is NOT low volume to anyone apparently except Ford.

What is wrong with Ford that they can't do this while so many others can?

I don't know where to start with this one.

But I would not equate the missions of Suzuki or Subaru as equal to Ford, GM or Toyota. Suzuki is just really pleased to have made its strongest U.S. sales year ever in '06 -- more than 100,000 cars overall.

In 2005 they had their previous best-ever year, selling 82,101 cars.

Besides, if we wanted to talk low volume brands, I would nod towards Mercury and Lincoln. But I know your point is why can't Ford be happy with sticking some low-volume cars out into the market.

The reason is probably partially dealers: You can't even find a 500 out on the lot at some places! Freestyle? Not even. Just saying.

Well, Ford had better figure out how to do small volume and fast, because the market is fragmenting into smaller and smaller pieces. The number of nameplates in the market has exploded in the last ten years and is expected to continue to grow. Ford can't continue to spit out one or two all-new vehicles every year, panting as if it had just given birth, and expect to keep up against competitors who annually release three or four.