Embarassing , Please Confirm

Well gents, I just became aware of this :huh: and I'm not too thrilled to repeat it; :blush:

Availability as of Jan.1, 2007... Cummins 6.7L ISV diesel ( 350HP/650#T )

Linked to an Aisin made 6speed automatic tranny ( 68RExxx? )

AND, a 4X4 option that gives you 2wd,4hi,4lo AND AWD :do what: !!!

Oh, and thats on a Dodge RAM 3500...

For those who miss the finer points, thats the biggest diesel, a 6speed autotranny from a credible source and the most versatile 4X4 setup out there today and will still be in 2010 if what we hear from Ford is anything to go by. :nonono:

Now I appreciate, we're talking about a Dodge product :hysterical: here, but I get the impression

the Daimler boys are definitely putting the boots to the quality issue.

So, please tell me I'm wrong! Its just my imagination. Dodge hasn't actually outflanked

GMC and Ford for what has to be the first time in 50 years.

Let me see... Dodge Ram 3500, Cummin6.7, Aisin 6speed, duallie 4X4, MegaCab, and that new lockable trunk insert of theirs...

Edited by SysEng

Well gents, I just became aware of this :huh: and I'm not too thrilled to repeat it; :blush:

Availability as of Jan.1, 2007... Cummins 6.7L ISV diesel ( 350HP/650#T )

Linked to an Aisin made 6speed automatic tranny ( 68RExxx? )

AND, a 4X4 option that gives you 2wd,4hi,4lo AND AWD :do what: !!!

Oh, and thats on a Dodge RAM 3500...

For those who miss the finer points, thats the biggest diesel, a 6speed autotranny from a credible source and the most versatile 4X4 setup out there today and will still be in 2010 if what we hear from Ford is anything to go by. :nonono:

Now I appreciate, we're talking about a Dodge product :hysterical: here, but I get the impression

the Daimler boys are definitely putting the boots to the quality issue.

So, please tell me I'm wrong! Its just my imagination. Dodge hasn't actually outflanked

GMC and Ford for what has to be the first time in 50 years.

Let me see... Dodge Ram 3500, Cummin6.7, Aisin 6speed, duallie 4X4, MegaCab, and that new lockable trunk insert of theirs...

does the SuperDuty and GM's HD series not offer 4x4 option?

otherwise what is the big deal with this .. the Ram frame is still far inferior to both GM and Ford (IIRC), and its capabilities are inferior as well..

Igor

The original post showed AWD as an option on the 4WD system. That is something that a lot of people would like to have rather than a strictly part-time 4WD system. So many times, especially in the mountains, that you really wish you could select AWD and just leave it there. Takes the worry out of the dry stretches of pavement and then the ice-covered packed snow portions. The part-time set-ups often bind themselves if left in 4WD mode in these conditions.

Personally and I have said this ever since the latest F-150 and the latest 6.0 Powerstroke - Ford is messing around with their most loyal customers - their truck customers. Poor research/development, offering products that are barely competitive and poor reliability numbers will sure lose a lot of customers that may be impossible to win back again.

I think the latest Dodge products are interesting and at least worth the consideration of a test-drive.

Has anyone considered that for years, GM always had the much larger engines, yet Ford always came ahead in sales? I'm not impressed by a Cummins having 6.7L to make 350HP, when Ford's does it in a smaller 6.4L, so that itself is awashed.

There's much more involved to sell a truck, than one perceived positive. In contrast, there's various other negatives that the Ram's possess, and so far, and that is for the consumer to outweigh. And from what we see sales wise, consumers seem to prefer the F-150.

Granted, this isn't to say Ford should rest on their laurels. Ford obviously will have an answer coming soon.

They've got a new motor, but that doesn't make up for paper thin frames and junk front axles/suspension. The most good that could come from just upgrading the motor is if they finally fixed the fuel pumps that have been bad since 2001.

I still think the F350 with the gas 6.8V10 and 5R110 tranny is still the best gas powered truck. :happy feet:

But, you need to check out the diesel 6.7L Cummins engine. That is NO TOY by any stretch of the imagination, and its rated for 350K miles before overhaul! And, they do have a credible 6 speed auto tranny. And as has been noted... an AWD option in a 1 ton truck!

The inventory of new features on the diesel side at Dodge is clearly better than GMC or Ford, and will continue to be for a while yet. Yeah, I'm not thrilled its a 6cylinder, but everything else, including a factory exhaust brake is definitely top drawer. As for the truck itself... well thats another story... :stirpot:

My point, is that we know what Fords answer will be. And we know what GMC has on the diesel side. And the Dodge diesel config clearly is superior and will be for quite a while. :reading: Fords answer is a 6.4 PSD which is so "high tech" its going to be another bleeding edge experience for Ford customers and won't have the verstility or longevity of the Cummins. And we hear nothing about a 6R tranny for this truck let alone a 6R150 that is just about whats needed on anything being wacked by 650#T.

I still think the F350 with the gas 6.8V10 and 5R110 tranny is still the best gas powered truck. :happy feet:

But, you need to check out the diesel 6.7L Cummins engine. That is NO TOY by any stretch of the imagination, and its rated for 350K miles before overhaul! And, they do have a credible 6 speed auto tranny. And as has been noted... an AWD option in a 1 ton truck!

The inventory of new features on the diesel side at Dodge is clearly better than GMC or Ford, and will continue to be for a while yet. Yeah, I'm not thrilled its a 6cylinder, but everything else, including a factory exhaust brake is definitely top drawer. As for the truck itself... well thats another story... :stirpot:

My point, is that we know what Fords answer will be. And we know what GMC has on the diesel side. And the Dodge diesel config clearly is superior and will be for quite a while. :reading: Fords answer is a 6.4 PSD which is so "high tech" its going to be another bleeding edge experience for Ford customers and won't have the verstility or longevity of the Cummins. And we hear nothing about a 6R tranny for this truck let alone a 6R150 that is just about whats needed on anything being wacked by 650#T.

Ford is developing their own 6 speed transmission. You would think that Dodge would have learned from Ford's mistake. As long as Dodge sells in low volumes they are fine. If the truck gets too popular they run the risk of Aisin not supporting the volumes. Don' t forget that Toyota has a horse in the truck race. It sounds great and the truck is here today but it just seems like typical Dodge behavior. Stick a big enginer in it and hope it sells.

... Don' t forget that Toyota has a horse in the truck race...

I think we can forget about that one for a while yet. Trick question; What kind of nutbar uses a rubber timing belt on a truck engine? Answer; the Toyota kind.

Toyota treats its N.A. market like a bunch of twits with more money than brains. Check out their I4s that they sell everywhere else. Iron blocks, and steel timing chains. Check out Toyota V6 and V8 engines and you get rubber timing chains and aluminum blocks. :rolleyes: . I can just imagine what their diesel offering will look like ( if they ever come out with one ) with that kind of thinking.