Chrysler SUV's and the Window issues

RangerXLTFan

I had two rental cars when my '96 Explorer Limited has getting a new fender. (Oregon drivers in ice, not my fault) A 2006 Durango (Looks like a potato bug) and a 2006 Jeep grand Cherokee. My 10-year old explorer is leaps and bounds better. (I'm thankful its back and will soon be up to 100K.)

Why is it when you are traveling above 30mph and you roll one of the two back windows down does the ENTIRE CAR Shake like its in an 7.0 Earthquake?. Is this common on all Mopars? My explorer has never done it. (only 4 door vehicle i ever had) Is it a potential hazard?

I had two rental cars when my '96 Explorer Limited has getting a new fender. (Oregon drivers in ice, not my fault) A 2006 Durango (Looks like a potato bug) and a 2006 Jeep grand Cherokee. My 10-year old explorer is leaps and bounds better. (I'm thankful its back and will soon be up to 100K.)

Why is it when you are traveling above 30mph and you roll one of the two back windows down does the ENTIRE CAR Shake like its in an 7.0 Earthquake?. Is this common on all Mopars? My explorer has never done it. (only 4 door vehicle i ever had) Is it a potential hazard?

It's common in many cars. It's called physics. When you roll down one window the air rushes in and cannot escape without sufficient exit, so the air tries to escape from the same place it enters creating a conflict. The inside of the car becomes a parachute. Under the right conditions, you get that buffering. You cannot design out all possible buffering conditions with so many various possible car designs. However it is possible that some vehicle designs will not cause that buffering at all. It just depends on how airflow is directed into the vehicle and the efficiency and means it gets out.

You can solve the problem by opening both windows, or raising and lowering a single window or combination of windows until the buffering goes away. This can also happen with some vehicles with the sunroof open in certain positions.

My old Camaros and my Firebird used to do this all the time. You simply had to adjust the window or windows to equalize the air pressure entering the vehicle to make it go away.

Edited by Watchdevil

If you open your sunroof, or anyones for that matter...notice the indentations on the spoiler lip adjacent. They are there to counteract the buffeting issue. On my LS if I press it down, the buffeting starts...or if I lower the backseat because I'm carrying something long in the trunk, the same will occur.

My '04 Explorer doesn't do that, but my wife's '04 Liberty does.

KJ (LIB) is notorious for buffeting. Actually has a dealer notice for it when customers ask about it.

That being said...alot of vehicles do that...like the post above...its simple physics. The air needs somewhere to go.

Found it...don't have access to the entire TSB without a registration fee though...

2002 Jeep Liberty | Service Bulletin Number: 01019

Date of Bulletin: 20010904

Code of Failing Component: 162000 structure:body

Advance service information regarding wind buffeting.

Well, I don't own an suv, but my 2002 PTCRuiser has a similar problem When you want to drive with the driver's side window open, you must do so under 40 mph. Anything higher and you'd swear you were inside a wind tunnel.