belt squeal

lownrangr

anyone else have a squealing belt? Ever since we hade a huge rainstorm in november mine, along with many other rangers have had a noisey belt. On mine, at least, it only does it on a damp or rainy day. With the hood open and engine running it's really hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. It almost can be described as a bad bearing, but i don't think that's the case. So anyways, anyone else have this issue? How much does a new serp. belt cost?

How much does a new serp. belt cost?

The belt is about $15-20, and it's very easy to change.

It could be that a bearing is gone, the idler arm ones are known to go. It can cause the issue without other problems appearing (like the alternator not charging, or losing AC or power steering). So it is too early to rule it out, but definately try the belt first.

All I can really add to this is that on all 3 of my newer F Series they do the exact same thing and once the truck warms up/dries off they squeeling belt goes away. Oh and yes it is only on damp days, so that would leave me to believe that this is a wet belt condition on the different models not a bearing or something major like that!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My 98 Ranger also had the problem with the squealing belt. The dealer replace the serpentine belt 4 times and aligned the pulleys several times before discovering what was really causing the problem. The tensioner pulley was replaced and the squealing finally came to an end.

the tensioners on all the 3.0 sucked. they wear out and squeek all the time. you put a new one on and it lasts 3 years of you are lucky... its a consumable item on these trucks. mine was replaced 2 years ago when i bought the truck (4 years old at the time) now its starting to do it again, exaclty 24 months later.

just replace the belt tensioner and you'll be fine.

Yes I have the same problem on a 2003 Ranger. I took it in and they told me it was the serp belt and replaced it. Then a couple months later it started again. I took it in again and they said it was the pulley causing the serp belt to do this and they replaced the pulley. Now, one month later, it is doing it again! Good luck!

• 2 months later...
Yes I have the same problem on a 2003 Ranger. I took it in and they told me it was the serp belt and replaced it. Then a couple months later it started again. I took it in again and they said it was the pulley causing the serp belt to do this and they replaced the pulley. Now, one month later, it is doing it again! Good luck!

On my old 2003 with the 3-liter it was the idler pulley. The one up on top. You could push it back and forth about a half inch on the spindle. It only lasted about 2 years. It was cheap and took about 10 minutes to replace.

• 1 month later...

Same here on a 2003 Ranger with a Vulcan. It's a known problem. I found the problem listed in one of those recall/trouble sites for cars. I forgot the site.

Anyway, when I took the Ranger in for the squeeling. I didn't have to tell them much of the problem. It was like they were quite well aware of it and know what to do. The tensioner was replaced, and it hasn't squeeled since. This was a couple of years ago. Hopefully, I don't have to replace it again.

Also, I thought I'd mention that it started squeeling after some heavy rains and going through some large puddles of water. After that, it squeeled whether wet or dry on startup. Although, yes it did go away once the engine warmed up. I too felt like a dummy with a squeeling Ford.

Well, it's all fixed now. Just keep in mind that it's a known problem that affects alot of Vulcans.

Joey