What about the welders?

rainbownthdrk

What do they do with the welders at COA plants that lay off welders as a result of the COA?

Do they go back on the line if they have production seniority? Will they be called back to trades when

there is an opening? Or are they going to be passed up because their welder classification has been

split up among the other trades? What would really be bullshit is if they called back a millwright who had less

trade seniority than a welder. What, a welder can't learn the millwright trade? Yeah, whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what would really be f**cked up is if they laid off welders because of the COA and kept millwrights

that had less time than the welders that were kicked to the curb. Assholes!!! Anybody from COA

plants have any answers? :finger::finger:

What do they do with the welders at COA plants that lay off welders as a result of the COA?

Do they go back on the line if they have production seniority? Will they be called back to trades when

there is an opening? Or are they going to be passed up because their welder classification has been

split up among the other trades? What would really be bullshit is if they called back a millwright who had less

trade seniority than a welder. What, a welder can't learn the millwright trade? Yeah, whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what would really be f**cked up is if they laid off welders because of the COA and kept millwrights

that had less time than the welders that were kicked to the curb. Assholes!!! Anybody from COA

Yeah.....heres an answer.......dont let door hit you in the ass....ass !!

What's the deal with you welders anyway? It's not any m/ws fault the company is messing with you, is it?

We got a welder that tries to do m/w work any chance he gets, and cries to the union on a regular basis, " why can't I be m/w?"

What do you want, HR to come give you a piece of paper that says you are now a m/w?

Sorry about your luck.

Some welders have some insight, and that would help if you were to go thru the program as a m/w, graduate, and serve some time as a m/w.

But you would start at the bottom. Sorry again, every other

m/w had to get in line, why should you be special?

There are way too many people, not just welders either, who work with or see what m/w's do or say, and all of a sudden, they feel "hey, I could do that", or "i would do this instead"

Now if you think making a welder into a m/w would be easier than making a m/w a welder, you have been welding in an unvented area for way too long!

What's the deal with you welders anyway? It's not any m/ws fault the company is messing with you, is it?

We got a welder that tries to do m/w work any chance he gets, and cries to the union on a regular basis, " why can't I be m/w?"

What do you want, HR to come give you a piece of paper that says you are now a m/w?

Sorry about your luck.

Some welders have some insight, and that would help if you were to go thru the program as a m/w, graduate, and serve some time as a m/w.

But you would start at the bottom. Sorry again, every other

m/w had to get in line, why should you be special?

There are way too many people, not just welders either, who work with or see what m/w's do or say, and all of a sudden, they feel "hey, I could do that", or "i would do this instead"

Now if you think making a welder into a m/w would be easier than making a m/w a welder, you have been welding in an unvented area for way too long!

sorry, replied to the wrong post, won't let you cancel once you post .

Edited by marty95

Sorry but it's a whole lot easier to certify a m/w than to put a welder thru the program, 80% of the m/w's in our plant are certified now with the other 20% going thru training now :reading:

Edited by mule

I wouldn't care if they made welders millwrights but, since you will be learning a new trade and be going thru a new apprenticeship don't you think you should have a new date of entry?If not then why even have trade seniority?

Why all the focus on welder / Millwright if you are going to change trades..... go for Electrician, a little algerber, a volt meter, add a little ladder logic and poof all the hard work is done by someone else, if you get into trouble call an automation engineer

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: PLC this ..... too funny

It must have hurt to be turned down for Electrician. Not everybody can be one. Don't worry. The company needs some of the lesser trades as well, so don't worry. You'll still have a job.

BTW: What's an algerber? :shrug:

Please excuse my humor. Algebra is that better, I was having fun with the electrician trade. The point is, if people are to switch trades in mid stream (so to speak) why box yourself into "millwright". It is just as easy to be an electrician, as it is to be a millwright, as it is to be toolmaker etc etc..... What test round peg square hole.... once agian this is humor, I have to stop I'm having too much fun.......wiggy wiggy wiggy

I'm just saying that I think the welders training and experience should count for something.

I guarantee the responses to this subject would be different if the responders trade classfication was thrown

out and their work was given to the other trades. The welders are being treated the same as the gunnys

who never had an apprenticeship. I'm willing to learn another trade, but I doubt any welders will be given

the chance and will either be laid off or put back on the line. I think this COA sucks for everybody, but

the changes are going to hurt the welders and be a gain for the trades (who have enough seniority) that

pickup the welding trade. Oh well, whatever.

I'm just saying that I think the welders training and experience should count for something.

I guarantee the responses to this subject would be different if the responders trade classfication was thrown

out and their work was given to the other trades. The welders are being treated the same as the gunnys

who never had an apprenticeship. I'm willing to learn another trade, but I doubt any welders will be given

the chance and will either be laid off or put back on the line. I think this COA sucks for everybody, but

the changes are going to hurt the welders and be a gain for the trades (who have enough seniority) that

pickup the welding trade. Oh well, whatever.

My understanding is that there will be LESS of ALL trades when all is said and done on the subject. Welders won't be the only tradesmen (& women) who will be out of a job. The only distinction may be A whole trade may be eliminated, but to the INDIVIDUAL tradesperson who is out of a job......well no work is no work.

Maybe the solution is to give those whose trades are totally eliminated prefferenial call back rights to THE TRADES with training opps. :banghead: