'09 Volvo S40

LSFan00

I don't see the logic in Axing their best selling car in America.

The S60 is a strong seller even now when it is ancient. Why Kill it?

I only see Volvo sales declining significantly.

Edited by DCK

I see your logic, and I have been unsure about this move myself .. but it simply seems that they want to align their "classes" with competition ... the S40 was a tad smaller than the 3series and the S80 was just the size of 5series ... makes sense to align them, but maybe now the S40 should be renamed S60 ....

I don't know .. it is as fuzzy to me as 08 CTS growing to 5sereis size .. from 3series size ...

Igor

Yeah, I'm not quite picking up on that either?

I also thought the S40 and A4/3 Series/IS were essentially within spitting distance of one another already (in terms of size)?

I suppose the logic is that now that the C30 will be available in the near future the S40 is no longer considered entry level. Couple that with the pricing of the S80, which is better aligned with the 5 Series/M/E Class and I suppose that makes more sense. This is also the case with interior size.

Hmmm, I dunno. It seems as if it leaves a void in Volvos lineup. I'd also like to see a revised Yamaha V-8 with a little moe horsepower/torque, and a beefier base engine lineup.

If they cleaned up the front and incorporated more horizontal lines, I'd definately buy an S40 that looks like that. Looks much more expensive, and less like the stubby Focus/S60 hybrid that it is now. If it does indeed grow in size and price, I'd say they'd need to modify C1 a little bit to accomodate an inline-6 as the top-dog engine. Imagine a twin-turbo 3.2L S40-R with AWD. Then imagine the same setup in the C30 and C70.

I would say that Volvo should consider developing a fixed-roof version of the next-generation of C70, but that wouldn't be in line with Volvo's image. That money would

By the end of the decade, it would seem that Volvo's entire lineup with either be EUCD or C1 derived. They need to develop plug-and-play engine and drivetrain units for 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder, with turbo and AWD variants of both motors. This could be shared with FoE models, as well as Land Rover with the LR2, and eventually, FoNA when C2 arrives.

Going further would delve into my re-organization plan for the company, which would involve merging Land Rover and Jaguar into a British Motors Group, merging Volvo, Ford of Europe (as well as South America and Asia), and Mazda into one group, and merging Ford of Australia with Ford of North America, Lincoln, and Mercury. All of them will have their own development operations, broken down by areas of expertise, which will be shared worldwide.

It wasn't always this way. Ages ago, the predecessors of the current S40, 60, and 80 were aligned in the euro small - medium - and large sedan catagories. As time went on, the medium and large categories have grown more than the small catagory. Volvo never did grow their vehicles to the same degree that their competitors did, leaving them with a small a smallish medium and a slightly largish medium. Because of this, in the global market, the S60 is somewhat redundant. In the US market, however, the S60 hits a sweet spot in the mid-sized family sedan market, as well as having an attainable price tag, which is why it works so well for them here. That being said, "so well" for them here doesn't neccessarily translate to being globally successful.

All that being said, I would very much have liked to see a new S60 based on a slightly scaled down EUCD2 chasis that was tuned for sport. The S80, existing on the smae chasis, is tuned for a nice balance. In a future iteration, it could be tuned somewhat more for comfort and made slightly larger. with the S60 carrying the lentils for the sporty types.

As for engines, I find no fault with Volvo's engine lineup in view of their global market. I wish that their base 2.4L i4 was a bit easier on gas and perhaps had a touch more torque. It might be nice to see a 2.6L I-5 based on the 3.2L i6 replace the existing 2.5L i5. Would make for a decent engine I think. Carrying the design downward, a base 2.1L i-4 would round out hte portfolio. Given how exceedingly compact that these engines are, they would make very good powerplants from a power per unit volume standpoint. As for the v8, Volvo was never about v8s in the past, and the only reason that they have one in the first place is to boost their XC90 and now S80 volumes in the competitive US market. HAving driven the XC90 with the turbo 2.5i a few times, I can tell you that it definitely has enough power for that vehicle. The 3.2L is an even better engine for it. If volvo does anything with the narrow yamaha v8, they should stick to their herritage. They should create a 4.0-4.2L version of it and bolt a turbo onto it. That would make plenty of power for anything that Volvo wants to do.

Methinks Volvo, being a premium brand, could also stand to embrace dgi as well. Would positively affect their engines efficiency and torque output in an erra where both are important.

I like that, now get off your ass and get in the dealerships ASAP. Volvo also needs to offer some beefy powerplants. S40-R should be ramped up to 400hp, possibly the 3.7TT 6 that Ford has or maybe figure our how to up the boost on their own 6?

Im also debating whether or not Volvo should offer anything that isnt AWD at this point. Im hoping the C30 has AWD when it hits stateside.

The most overused expression in the past couple of months:

"that being said..."

With that being said, I have never noticed many people using that phrase much ever before...

I think every model on earth sold for more than 5 years has grown, to accommodate the incomes/waists of it's owners. I just think it's a pretty sketch.