Sandusky ACH.... sold or closing?

We keep hearing rumors around the plant about potential buyers looking at buying the plant. We have well over 100 temps working now, with more to come in the near future. Another thing we heard around the plant last week was that if it's not sold by Sept 07, the are definetly pulling the plug, and it'll be closed 6 months after that. Anyone got anything else on Sandusky? What's going on with the other ACH plants?

We keep hearing rumors around the plant about potential buyers looking at buying the plant. We have well over 100 temps working now, with more to come in the near future. Another thing we heard around the plant last week was that if it's not sold by Sept 07, the are definetly pulling the plug, and it'll be closed 6 months after that. Anyone got anything else on Sandusky? What's going on with the other ACH plants?

To be on the safe side I think you'd better change your screen name.

To be on the safe side I think you'd better change your screen name.

That's one thing that is for sure! :finger:

There was a tour through the plant today, of "potential buyers"

There is supposed to be two interested buyers. We've heard that about four times before!

The statement from management has pretty much always been if we're not sold by the end of '08 then that's it. Who will supply their lights then? Who knows, they don't know. Maybe the just want all first tier wage and benefit workers out, or the UAW out?

Rest assured, Ford will have lights for thier vehicles. While ACH is looking at potential buyers, Ford is looking at sourcing all ACH work to new suppliers.

Actually, heres the funny thing- the market test in lighting has been suspended- it turns out we were much more competitive than they were giving us credit for. Not only that, but there is virtually no spare capacity out there with any of the other lighting suppliers- so moving the lighting business out would require a rather large capital investment on the part of the other supplier for building/equipment/etc. That would drive their piece price up which is something Ford can't/won't accept.

The group that was in Tuesday was from Meridian Automotive. Don't know much about them, except that they just recently emerged from chapter 11 :banghead:

There is another group scheduled to come through the plant on Friday... (Not sure who that is yet)

i know that meridian automotive supplies the bumpers and some other plastic pieces for the f-150, expedition and navigator, probably other vehicles also.

Actually, heres the funny thing- the market test in lighting has been suspended- it turns out we were much more competitive than they were giving us credit for. Not only that, but there is virtually no spare capacity out there with any of the other lighting suppliers- so moving the lighting business out would require a rather large capital investment on the part of the other supplier for building/equipment/etc. That would drive their piece price up which is something Ford can't/won't accept.

This doesn't mean Ford will take the plant back, or that Ford employees will be able to stay. While they can say they're competitive, the fact remains that we're still losing money. Either the price to the consumer (Ford) needs to be adjusted, making us less competitive, or the costs need to be reduced. You're already seeing a cost reduction with the temp employees coming in, especially since Visteon is paying their wages...at least that's what a committeeman told me. Add the fact that we're going to lose carbon cans and air cleaners and we'll be losing even more money, making us less competitive.

I can't comment on the other lighting suppliers not having the capacity. It doesn't really matter though. As long as the plant continues to lose money, it's not competitive. Wake up people....Ford is NOT going to take Sandusky back. :banghead: It may not close, but if you're a Ford employee they're not going to keep you either.

This doesn't mean Ford will take the plant back, or that Ford employees will be able to stay. While they can say they're competitive, the fact remains that we're still losing money. Either the price to the consumer (Ford) needs to be adjusted, making us less competitive, or the costs need to be reduced. You're already seeing a cost reduction with the temp employees coming in, especially since Visteon is paying their wages...at least that's what a committeeman told me. Add the fact that we're going to lose carbon cans and air cleaners and we'll be losing even more money, making us less competitive.

I can't comment on the other lighting suppliers not having the capacity. It doesn't really matter though. As long as the plant continues to lose money, it's not competitive. Wake up people....Ford is NOT going to take Sandusky back. :banghead: It may not close, but if you're a Ford employee they're not going to keep you either.

Losing money?? Sandusky is the one plant that is making money that's why it makes no sense to close it or for Ford to dump it. Sandusky is one of the best places to work.

While ACH is looking at potential buyers, Ford is looking at sourcing all ACH work to new suppliers.

What is the difference? Ford owns 100% of ACH. ACH's management are Ford Employees. Ford's out sourcing and ACH looking to sell are the same thing. :censored: Neither includes American made products (Union or not), if possible.

Ford better watchout when sourcing all of their ship to China, India or whatever - cause if the Dems are elected in 08 the borders may close! :stirpot: If they close (or even if China and India lose their "most favored" status) the material costs are going to skyrocket and the UAW is going to look CHEAP! You don't see Toyota setting up plants for their US made cars/trucks/powertrains/parts in China - NO they are building them here! Toyota know the US is spoiling for a trade fight when the Dems come to town and they don't want to get stuck will uncontrolled material costs. :banghead:

We haven't been fed that line in a couple of years. Ever since Ford cut it's production numbers and management implemented COA in our molding areas we've lost money. Production numbers are down, scrap is up, and molding has worked practically every weekend for a year. (At higher wages because of all the PMEA's.) Sandusky used to make money...not anymore.

Sandusky used to be a great place to work. Ever since we voted in COA it's been terrible. Our union is weak and our chairman is non-existent. Management does what they want when they want regardless of the contract or any other agreements that are in place. A couple or years ago we were over 1100 Ford employees. Between buyouts and flowbacks that number will be closer to 600 by shutdown. If it's so great, and the future is so bright, why is everybody hitting the door? :shades:

We haven't been fed that line in a couple of years. Ever since Ford cut it's production numbers and management implemented COA in our molding areas we've lost money. Production numbers are down, scrap is up, and molding has worked practically every weekend for a year. (At higher wages because of all the PMEA's.) Sandusky used to make money...not anymore.

Sandusky used to be a great place to work. Ever since we voted in COA it's been terrible. Our union is weak and our chairman is non-existent. Management does what they want when they want regardless of the contract or any other agreements that are in place. A couple or years ago we were over 1100 Ford employees. Between buyouts and flowbacks that number will be closer to 600 by shutdown. If it's so great, and the future is so bright, why is everybody hitting the door? :shades:

I've got to ask. What's keeping you there?

I've got to ask. What's keeping you there?

I'm supposed to be going with the next group to Avon Lake. I keep being told we're leaving the 19th but there hasn't been a definitive date set yet. I've enjoyed working at Sandusky but it's not what it used to be either. The combination of management making poor decisions and then trying to hold us accountable for them, and a weak union unwilling or unable to stand up for our rights has made for a tense, if not hostile working environment. We've all know people who wish they'd signed up for flowback or buyout when they had the chance....mostly because they're frustrated with the way things are going now and are unsure about their future at the plant.

I'm supposed to be going with the next group to Avon Lake. I keep being told we're leaving the 19th but there hasn't been a definitive date set yet. I've enjoyed working at Sandusky but it's not what it used to be either. The combination of management making poor decisions and then trying to hold us accountable for them, and a weak union unwilling or unable to stand up for our rights has made for a tense, if not hostile working environment. We've all know people who wish they'd signed up for flowback or buyout when they had the chance....mostly because they're frustrated with the way things are going now and are unsure about their future at the plant.

Good luck to you. I was lucky and got my time in and left. It was getting bad. I started not to like coming to work and I had a real good job. Take care.

Edited by Jimmy G

What is the difference? Ford owns 100% of ACH. ACH's management are Ford Employees. Ford's out sourcing and ACH looking to sell are the same thing. :censored: Neither includes American made products (Union or not), if possible.

Ford better watchout when sourcing all of their ship to China, India or whatever - cause if the Dems are elected in 08 the borders may close! :stirpot:Yea Right It's beyond Dem and Rep now. If they close (or even if China and India lose their "most favored" status)That wont happen. the material costs are going to skyrocket and the UAW is going to look CHEAP! You don't see Toyota setting up plants for their US made cars/trucks/powertrains/parts in China - NO they are building them here! Uhhh the Japanese hate the Chinese. Toyota know the US is spoiling for a trade fight when the Dems come to town Horse Shit. and they don't want to get stuck will uncontrolled material costs. :banghead:

No hard Feelings Intended

Sandusky lost 2,000,000 in the first two months this yr.

The place will be sold or closed.

It will become an IPS (Independant Parts Supplier)

Second group of Production flowback to Avon March19.

Visteon pays The temps.

Visteon pays management.

Good luck to you. I was lucky and got my time in and left. It was getting bad. I started not to like coming to work and I had a real good job. Take care.

Thank you, and congratulations on getting your time. I hope I can get mine too but that's a ways off yet. Flowback was the best option for me, and I honestly believe that I'll have a better chance at Avon of getting my time than if I chose not to go anywhere.

Edited by DeezNutz

No hard Feelings Intended

Sandusky lost 2,000,000 in the first two months this yr.

The place will be sold or closed.

It will become an IPS (Independant Parts Supplier)

Second group of Production flowback to Avon March19.

Visteon pays The temps.

Visteon pays management.

Lot of truth to the postings in this thread. Sandusky is highly competitive. No excess capacity for Ford's Lighting ever since Guide went under. You are right, Ford does not want to pay (or can afford) the premium for more capacity. Sandusky is the subject of regular high level talks for this reason. Closing is the least likely option. If you are a Ford employee and want to stay that way, you do need to leave fast. That does not mean Sandusky will not be a decent place to work in the future. Yes, there have been crack downs on work and safety rules. Unfortunately, most of those rules have been in place from day one. The plant discipline-wise is becoming more like what it was 15-20 years ago. What can you do? Sandusky was a country club and to some extent still is. To even compare the labor requirements to that of an assembly plant is laughable. Stock up on the analgesic before you go. Those that do leave must realize that you are not secure as Ford either. Ford will continue to downsize. Becoming an IPS is probably the best possible outcome. Plant life will change regardless. Most of us will not be there but the plant will. In the end, that is the most important part for the survival Sandusky City and the local townships. The IPS scenario would probably have the R&D and corporate functions all in house bringing more jobs to the area.

Sandusky has lost a ton of money but we also lost a ton of experience with the recent buyouts. It will take awhile to the floor to re-stabilize.

Friday Plant Manager, one Comptroller, and McGowen (?) Head of Lamps (?) resigned! They are leaving March23rd.

I heard this too. IMO this should give everybody more of an indication which direction Sandusky is heading. Of course maybe they were asked to leave as part of some big shake up. It's not like we've setting any performance records under their leadership. Either way it blows the whole theory of bonuses to "retain talent" all to hell!! :hysterical: :hysterical:

All Cooper's boys I'll bet.

Jimmy,

That's what I hear, all Coopers boys.

"Rumor" has it that Cooper has gone to Georgia to run "Blue Bird Bus Co." and took those three with him!

Two songs come to mind:

The devil went down to Georgia

Go on take the money and run

Jimmy,

That's what I hear, all Coopers boys.

"Rumor" has it that Cooper has gone to Georgia to run "Blue Bird Bus Co." and took those three with him!

Two songs come to mind:

The devil went down to Georgia

Go on take the money and run

Or Larry,Curly and Moe do buses.

I've 2 rounds of tool boxes being sold.........they've sold 3 old YALE riding stackers, and some other piece of heavy equipment also.......

yesterday I saw maintance with a ton of computers tagged for DISPOSAL. I really couldn't believe it, and I had to ask some questions..... yes, they were throwing them away! There are lots of churches and pre-schools in the are that sure would have appreciated them!

A few weeks ago, they did go around the entire plant and fill out an "asset allocation" they were basically checking for all the machinery in the plant.

but the even wierder thing is......... if you go in the CMM room, or the prototype area, you can see all kinds of new work being ramped up. 09 F150 headlight included.

They've fixed the gates, put money in the roof, and flooded the floor with temps. I haven't seen one job leave so far.

For a plant that is "closing", they sure are acting like it's going to be there for an awfully long time.

anyone have any thoughts?

ote name='SanduskyForLife' date='Mar 20 2007, 11:11 AM' post='155855']

I've 2 rounds of tool boxes being sold.........they've sold 3 old YALE riding stackers, and some other piece of heavy equipment also.......

yesterday I saw maintance with a ton of computers tagged for DISPOSAL. I really couldn't believe it, and I had to ask some questions..... yes, they were throwing them away! There are lots of churches and pre-schools in the are that sure would have appreciated them!

A few weeks ago, they did go around the entire plant and fill out an "asset allocation" they were basically checking for all the machinery in the plant.

but the even wierder thing is......... if you go in the CMM room, or the prototype area, you can see all kinds of new work being ramped up. 09 F150 headlight included.

They've fixed the gates, put money in the roof, and flooded the floor with temps. I haven't seen one job leave so far.

For a plant that is "closing", they sure are acting like it's going to be there for an awfully long time.

anyone have any thoughts?