Cooling System Flush

squeel-GT

I would like to use the "Prestone Flush & Fill Kit" to flush & clean my Cobra's cooling system. I've used it successfully on other Ford vehicles but not yet on the Cobra. The kit works by splicing into a cooling system hose but I just can't seem to locate the hose and where I should splice it...

Has anybody else tried this on their 96-98 Cobra? Any guidance or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

I do our GT Vert, (and all my cars and trucks actually), every year...save the time, aggravation and mess....take it to a reputable shop that has a flush station that purges all the coolant from the system and replaces it with new.

It costs about $40 bucks here Parts & labor and takes them about an hour.....I never do it myself anymore due to environmental issues and laziness..........I also have the PS, and brake fluid done every year on all vehicles.......guess who never needs calipers, water pumps or heater cores??

Preventative maintenance is the cheapest approach for a trouble free life.....and cheaper in the long run.

I use the race shop, or Big 10 Tire here in Florida depending on my schedule, just go to someone you trust for all repairs....

I do our GT Vert, (and all my cars and trucks actually), every year...save the time, aggravation and mess....take it to a reputable shop that has a flush station that purges all the coolant from the system and replaces it with new.

It costs about $40 bucks here Parts & labor and takes them about an hour.....I never do it myself anymore due to environmental issues and laziness..........I also have the PS, and brake fluid done every year on all vehicles.......guess who never needs calipers, water pumps or heater cores??

Preventative maintenance is the cheapest approach for a trouble free life.....and cheaper in the long run.

I use the race shop, or Big 10 Tire here in Florida depending on my schedule, just go to someone you trust for all repairs....

Replace brake fluid and power steering fluid every year? Isn't that a bit overkill? Unless you race it a lot or something... The only time I've changed my brake fluid in 10 years is when I upgraded the rotors, added braided lines, and switched over to DOT4. Power steering? Same stuff that came from the factory. :lol:

I haven't had to replace any calipers, water pumps, or heater cores yet either.

Replace brake fluid and power steering fluid every year? Isn't that a bit overkill? Unless you race it a lot or something... The only time I've changed my brake fluid in 10 years is when I upgraded the rotors, added braided lines, and switched over to DOT4. Power steering? Same stuff that came from the factory. :lol:

I haven't had to replace any calipers, water pumps, or heater cores yet either.

Why did you bother to upgrade your brakes if you don't open track (race)? You use DOT 4 and don't flush your fluid once or twice a year?

Why did you bother to upgrade your brakes if you don't open track (race)? You use DOT 4 and don't flush your fluid once or twice a year?

He's a certified BMW mechanic. He had the DOT4 BMW fluid at his disposal for free, so why not use it? As for the upgrades, I didn't do anything substantial: slotted rotors and braided lines. The pedal feel is better now and I needed new rotors anyway, may as well make a small upgrade. I wasn't aware DOT4 fluid required a full flush twice a year. You better tell all the BMW owners who have been using it in their cars for the past several years and haven't been following this rigorous maintenance schedule.

Edited by NickF1011

I agree that flushing the power steering and brake fluid annually is overkill. BUT I also agree that preventive maintenance is surely the way to go.

I just bought this Cobra with extremely low mileage as it's been garaged for 9 years. So I'm trying to work all these basic maintenance items right now because in 9 years my Cobra only had annual oil changes.

I agree that flushing the power steering and brake fluid annually is overkill. BUT I also agree that preventive maintenance is surely the way to go.

I just bought this Cobra with extremely low mileage as it's been garaged for 9 years. So I'm trying to work all these basic maintenance items right now because in 9 years my Cobra only had annual oil changes.

Flushing your brake fluid is not over kill if you open track your car. Based on all of your clueless responses regarding flushing brake fluid, it's obvious you don't open track.

Brake fluid begins to absorb moisture when you open the bottle, after a year of daily driving, your brake fluid boiling point degrades by probably around 50 deg, depending on your area....not a good thing for braking efficiency or caliper longevity....

The problem is that moisture circulating through the system causes corrosion and rust to form and is not good for sensitive precision parts.

Call me whatever, but I grew up in Boston and we used to flush cooling systems Spring and Fall every year.

I used to build and race cars for 17 years, you become obsessive about preventing issues. I may be doing that again here shortly....

I do the fluids every year here in Florida because the heat and humidity are a 10-11 month situation and are just brutal on vehicles.

By the way, i have never drained any fluid from any system after 1 year that any of you would look at and feel comfortable re-installing in your vehicle.......smell and texture say it all when it's examined.....

I also do road trips to Boston, Asheville and South Florida on short notice, my vehicles are always ready to go after topping off the tank.....and have never had a mechanical problem yet. (Knock on wood!!!)

To recap: Coolant Flush - $60, Brake System Flush and Bleed -$40, PS Fluid change - $30, AT Fluid every 15K miles, (synthetic ATF), $80.

So because I put 12-25K miles per vehicle per year my cost per vehicle runs about $210 + $200 for Mobil 1 changes 4X/Yr over 25K miles.

So, I spend $410 ish -per year on 100% Preventive Maintenance, or about $35-$40 bucks a month.....My Margherirta tab is more than that!!!!

In that context it seems eminently sensible and all of you guys probably piss more than that away at Happy Hour every month anyway.... :happy feet:

Happy Motoring!!!!!!!!!! :shades:

Edited by oldracer

Flushing your brake fluid is not over kill if you open track your car. Based on all of your clueless responses regarding flushing brake fluid, it's obvious you don't open track.

Yeesh, did I ever say I open track? Nope. It's a weekend cruiser. No need to get defensive now.

No biggie. How often do you take it out to the track? I've thought about doing some track time with mine other than drag racing. Just don't know if I want to risk messing up the car.

The '04 does a few weekends a year on the track. I instruct at BMW CCA driving schools at Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, and the Grand Am track at California Speedway. That's why I flush my brake fluid so often. Even if you don't track your Cobra, I would still flush the brake fluid every couple of years. Moisture will still get into your system and cause unexpected brake fade at the wrong time.

Nick, drag racing is fun and technically challenging, but nothing beats a road race track day for seat time and skill sharpening for the driver.

I know they aren't cheap, but everyone who is a speed addict or even wants to go fast safely should do at least a 2 day driver's school.

I have done about 3 different schools, but Bondurant twice..lots of track time and meaningful classroom lessons that will enhance your street skills as well......

I have been approached to instruct at PCA, mostly at Roebling Road, but to instruct I must have a Porsche VIN#....I'm telling my wife that is as good a reason as I've heard to buy another one.......she's just laughs, but I am interested in doing it.

I just don't know where I will get the time, especially if I buy the shop.....(see my post under Z06 road test - SVT forum).

You could also see if there are any more SVT track days and go, they were lots of fun.

Barber Motorsports track is astounding, I have only been on it on my GSXR1000, no cars yet, but I plan to try and make a track day there if possible. Really a first class facility.

I recommend for anyone who doesn't have the resources to track race (it's iffy I could race my stock Fusion) to try this PC video game called rFactor. The free demo has a replication of an SCCA or open track form of racing that is plenty challenging.

I wish I could offer a better way to show it but

rFactor has multiple forms of racing packed into one, and lets you race against others online too.

The link is http://www.rfactor.net/