Since we now have our own forum

ghstwolf

On the size thing on page one, the Ranger should stay the same size, Ford should introduce a F-100 cross between the Ranger and F-150, the Sport Trac should be discontinued and replaced with a F-100 based Bronco. The Bronco should be targeted at offroading, like the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

I love the size and the weight of the truck and would hope they did not increase either with the redesign. I would like to see a deisel variant with a six speed manual and available 4 wheel drive in the standard cab configuration. Digital HVAC controls would be nice as in the standard cab things get either very hot or cool in a hurry. A composite bed liner would have been handy had it come from the factory. Since these are lighter trucks that do not see too much heavy duty use an independent rear suspension would make things a lot nicer on bumpy roads where i sometimes find the rear stepping out on its own. Accelerating on bumpy patches is a distant dream as axle hop is horrid. Purely dreaming it would be nice to see a HUD system like in the Corvette and maybe a colored gauge package like in the mustang. A suppose a turbo four with the current 2.3 would be that hard to do and could be done cheaply

I would take 4wd with the standard cab as long as I didn't have to get the six cyl with it. I don't mind having to row the shifter or wait a bit for acceleration. The 2.3 has 143HP and with a 4.11 gear, it has plenty of torque for a small 4wd. This is a for not if the thing comes with a small diesel which would be perfect.

My rub agains V-6's is that it seems if they give any trouble, it's intake and head gaskets. I would rather just have an inline engine. Simpler and, in my experience, more reliable than V type engines. I have had only one V-8 and two V-6's in my life and I absolutely hated all three.

So, a small inline four, be it gas or diesel. I don't want any more than that.

leave the IRS for the Explorer, the solid axle should remain in the ranger. no need to add an expensive irs in the ranger, just add some better shocks, which should help some.

I wonder how much cost at the retail level Ford could introduce a IRS for. I doubt it would be too much but would be worth it in terms of ride quality.

• 3 weeks later...
Frankly, I think this is a bad product mix. An F-150 that is too big, a Ranger too small and the answer is an independent rear suspension, 4.5 foot composite bed in the Sport-Trac? Not for me. The Sport-Trac is at best an answer to Honda's Ridgeline. It is not a small truck in the spectre of the Ranger - the Ranger is and has always been a little truck that really can do some truck duties. The SportTrac is nothing more than an SUV with a little plastic bed on the back.

Not for me and neither is the current F-150.

I pretty much agree with everything you said there.

I currently own a Ranger, and if I would upgrade it would be to a CrewCab Ranger. Unfortunately, one does not exist in the U.S. It's only the lucky people in other countries that have that luxury. The Sport Trac doesn't do it for me. It's too "comfortable". It's too much of an SUV.

I want a vehicle that I can abuse and go off-roading in. Rangers make highly capable off-road vehicles. California has many off-road shops that specialize in Ford Ranger suspensions for the fact that the Ford Ranger is quite capable.

In my Ranger, I've hauled about 1200 lbs worth of cement bags, furniture, appliances, and more. Pretty amazing, especially when I have the 3.0L Vulcan (thank goodness I didn't have to go uphill). I'm sure you Vulcan owners know that it's not the most powerful engine, but at least it sure is reliable.

As far as engines go, I know the 3.0L Vulcan is about to be retired. It'sa bout time. It's a reliable engine, but not the most efficient. From what I undestand, the 4.0L a Cologne engine (started out as a 2.9L). Perhaps that needs some redesign as well. More stroke, less bore? 24 valves? I don't know, but so as long as it keeps the torque numbers high.

Should the Ranger have a V8? Hmm, a 4.6L 4V would definately be fun under the hood especially if it's mated with a 5 speed manual. A 4 or 6 cylinder diesel would be awesome if it can generate about 300lbs of torque. The thought of being able to run bio-diesel is quite compelling. Also, I hear diesels are pretty fuel efficient. If by chance the Ranger gets any bigger, the 2.3L 4-banger might not provide enough grunt. Perhaps, they can go with a larger 4 banger similar to Chevy's 2.8L 4 banger.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they made the Ranger the same size as an Explorer. The difference really isn't all that much. Make many of the parts interchangeable and possibly it could save Ford money and design time. Here take a look at this lin (apparently, I wasn't the only one thinking this):

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/features/?p=8

That's look pretty nice. Put an extra set of doors in the back, and point me to the nearest dealer!

• 3 weeks later...