RWD F-150 in Snow and Ice?

cdangdrive

Any driving impressions of a RWD F-150 in light/medium snow and all conditions of ice? Is it the same, better (not bloodly likely), worse (my hypothesis), or simply a way to save money?

Moving to Missouri and I'd like something with legs. Looking at a 2006 F-150 Supercad XLT 4x4 or should I go with the RWD and save a bag of green?

-Danger

I live in the high mountain desert southwest and we can see loads of snow some years. You would be surprised at what a 2WD F-150 will do in bad conditions if properly equipped. I would not accept one without limited slip and decent gearing - 3.55 or better preferred. And, that may be hard to find as most dealers don't bother with limited slip on their ordered units. With the limited-slip, proper tires and some weight in the back (we tend to use cinder blocks inside a 2x4 framework over the rear axle), you would most likely get through just about anything. And, a pair of properly sized chains inside the truck - just in case.

Like you are thinking, most of the time you won't need the 4WD and I don't blame you for thinking whether or not you really need it. Not only is the 4WD truck's initial cost more expensive, but so is the maintenance plus the extra weight, height and drag costs in the end with gas mileage.

• 2 months later...
I tried driving with 4x2 with my truck in the snow. Couldn't move from parking.

Go with 4x4, you won't be sorry you spend extra money on it.

I'm wondering the same thing. I had a 97 with limited slip which did "ok" in snow and 98 4WD (still have) which does great in snow. I am tired of the fuel economy of the 4WD. It is a fuel sucking pig. The two wheel drive actually got fairly acceptable fuel mileage. What I'm wondering is how well the traction control works on the new trucks?

I can safely say the 4WD drive was not worth the extra money or fuel I have spent over the last eight years. My .02.

I moved to Minnesota from California in a R.W.D. 1/2 ton pickup, one winter is all it took and i own a 4X4 now.

You know the funny thing is when I lived in North Dakota I had a 65 Step Side with a positraction rear end (Detroit Locker) and I never had problems in the snow or ice. That truck went any where any time!

Edited by rstang1999