Ford Transit

BORG

The Transit is a wonderful example of Ford's total and utter incompetance to exploit a product on a global basis. At the end of the day a van is a van. American and European styling tastes aren't significantly different. Sure the grade of plastic used on the interior and the engine options may differ but the basic vehicle will sell on both sides of the pond. So why has Ford only just spotted this? The Transit has been around since the dawn of time. It's disgracefull really.

That brings me to my next point. Ford needs to make it's cars more adaptable to sell in more markets. The next generation of Licoln use's sheet metal styling that would appeal in Europe. Sure the trim could be better, more engine options could be needed and the grills may need to be different in Europe but basically the next MKS for example would sell. Ford even has a local brand it can use to make the car sell in Europe and a sales network. So why is it consigned to sell only in America? Does Dodge or Chrysler or even Chevrolet sell only in America? No. Van, car, whatever... you have too try and eak out sales wherever you can!

Get with the program Ford. Sell your cars in more markets!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you live in Europe TStag? why do you want Lincoln to go Continental?

I do live in Europe. I quite like the next Lincoln MKS and would definetly consider buying it. It has none of the styloing issues that GM or Chryslers American brands have. It looks quite European and generic enough to have broad appeal. However I would have the following concerns:

- Will it depreciate as badly as other American brands such as Cadillac?

- Would Ford change the grill which is too American for European tastes?

- Could Ford improve some of the finishes in the interior to make it competitive? (not essential but Ford would get more for it).

- Would Ford offer some engines to appeal locally (American cars have a reputation here for being too thirsty)?

It's quite a European looking car and I feel that if Ford sold it through Land Rover dealers as a Rover then it would sell. TBH the Rover brand would give me as a UK buyer the confidence to buy the product as I'd be less concerned about selling an 'American car on'. It would take many many years to establish Lincoln as a brand here. But this would make an excellent Rover and it would sell in big enough volumes to justify itself and get Rover/ Lincoln into Europe!

Edited by TStag

... At the end of the day a van is a van.

I don't agree with that statement. The E-series (aka Econoline) has a much higher GVW and towing capacity than the Transit.

A few years ago there was a serious plan to drop the Econoline and only sell the Transit in the US. Cooler heads prevailed when they explained that almost 100% of the ambulance/min-bus/Class C motorhomes were E-series.

Of course Ford is going to loose a lot of that business now that you can't get a diesel in the 2008 E-series.

American and European styling tastes aren't significantly different. Sure the grade of plastic used on the interior and the engine options may differ but the basic vehicle will sell on both sides of the pond. So why has Ford only just spotted this? The Transit has been around since the dawn of time. It's disgracefull really.... you have too try and eak out sales wherever you can!

I do agree with these statements !

Get with the program Ford. Sell your cars in more markets!

Sounds like something Alan Mullaly has said recently and why Ford will be selling both in the US !

I don't agree with that statement. The E-series (aka Econoline) has a much higher GVW and towing capacity than the Transit.

A few years ago there was a serious plan to drop the Econoline and only sell the Transit in the US. Cooler heads prevailed when they explained that almost 100% of the ambulance/min-bus/Class C motorhomes were E-series.

Of course Ford is going to loose a lot of that business now that you can't get a diesel in the 2008 E-series.

I do agree with these statements !

Sounds like something Alan Mullaly has said recently and why Ford will be selling both in the US !

all 3 vans...all bases covered....the small delivery ( MUCH needed ) the fullsize Transit to counter the Sprinter and the E-series so delivery vehicles can get into parking structures with lower ceilings.....shame about the diesel...but perhaps a hybrid will counter that...and in all sincerity only a TINY amount of van sales were diesels....6500 bump in price is a LOT of gas....well used to be..hahahaha!

Edited by Deanh

all 3 vans...all bases covered....the small delivery ( MUCH needed ) the fullsize Transit to counter the Sprinter and the E-series so delivery vehicles can get into parking structures with lower ceilings.....shame about the diesel...but perhaps a hybrid will counter that...and in all sincerity only a TINY amount of van sales were diesels....6500 bump in price is a LOT of gas....well used to be..hahahaha!

There should be no problem selling 3 sizes of van any where, so the next question is why hasn't the E series come to Europe yet?

As people say, it's not rocket science. But if it's taken Ford this long to work out something so simple, then there is no hope of seeing a Lincoln come to Europe...

There should be no problem selling 3 sizes of van any where, so the next question is why hasn't the E series come to Europe yet?

As people say, it's not rocket science. But if it's taken Ford this long to work out something so simple, then there is no hope of seeing a Lincoln come to Europe...

I'm more excited about the small one than anything else...flower shops, hospitals, office supplies....limitless amounts of people that do not require huge behemouths....we used to sell boatloads of the Aerostar cargo vans...maybe there is not much of an overseas market for the e-series, i don't know...however I sense with the higher GVW's etc, that in fact there may be an untapped market...is there anything in that bracket over there?

Edited by Deanh

If you go international you have to fine tune things.

Yeah.

That sure explains why domestic cars now rate higher than European cars, in aggregate, on both CU and JDP surveys.

Seriously. Did it ever occur to you that American cars should be designed for the American consumer and the environment occupied by said beast?

No. Of course not. Tighten up the steering wheel so your 20 minute commute now qualifies as a full cardio-workout, take out the soft springs so that every expansion joint on your stretch of freeway is like a pleasant kick in the backside courtesy of your local DOT, and just watch those cars f-l-y off the lots.

O-b-v-i-o-u-s-l-y, the only way to make a good car for America (both the U.S. and Canada) is to make a good car for the U.K.; only then will cars really be good enough to succeed here.

:rolleyes:

Yeah.

That sure explains why domestic cars now rate higher than European cars, in aggregate, on both CU and JDP surveys.

Seriously. Did it ever occur to you that American cars should be designed for the American consumer and the environment occupied by said beast?

No Mercedes, BMW and Audi seem to be out selling whatever the US equivalents are! I bet BMW bosses for example are having a right old laugh at how they have systimatically torn US styled Lincoln, Cadillac and co apart over the last 2 decades! Ford Europe is doing well because it makes good cars, at affordable prices that handle and go well. Ford Europe is seeing growth! Ford USA is in decline, making affordable cars, of good quality that don't handle or go anywhere near as well as the European cars. In Amerca European cars are seeing rising sales. Ford USA is allegedly now thinking of rebadging Ford Europe cars as Mercury's. Why aren't Ford US models going the other way? Even when they make a decent product?

You have to ask why Ford doesn't sell the Mustang in Europe and why GM didn't sell the Pontiac Solstice over here in the UK, despite the fact that the UK buys more convertable car's per head of population than any country on the planet (dumb or what?). Historically there were and still are some US only markets (such as the US love of pickups). However there is no excuse for not selling the Lincoln MKS or Ford Mustang in Europe. It's just bad managment. If you want to fix Ford then listen to people in other counteries who want to know why you won't sell them cars? People in the UK really want the Mustang, but once agin Ford's US only product plan won over. How stupid was that?

Ford Transit very understated underrated backbone of Ford of Europe the only vehicle that keeps Ford of Europe financially solvent. Just hope they never let those Mondeo aerodynamics engineers near it. Its boxy shape has served the transit very well; it does not need to be a space wasting unpractical jellymould.

No Mercedes, BMW and Audi seem to be out selling whatever the US equivalents are! I bet BMW bosses for example are having a right old laugh at how they have systimatically torn US styled Lincoln, Cadillac and co apart over the last 2 decades! Ford Europe is doing well because it makes good cars, at affordable prices that handle and go well. Ford Europe is seeing growth! Ford USA is in decline, making affordable cars, of good quality that don't handle or go anywhere near as well as the European cars. In Amerca European cars are seeing rising sales. Ford USA is allegedly now thinking of rebadging Ford Europe cars as Mercury's. Why aren't Ford US models going the other way? Even when they make a decent product?

You have to ask why Ford doesn't sell the Mustang in Europe and why GM didn't sell the Pontiac Solstice over here in the UK, despite the fact that the UK buys more convertable car's per head of population than any country on the planet (dumb or what?). Historically there were and still are some US only markets (such as the US love of pickups). However there is no excuse for not selling the Lincoln MKS or Ford Mustang in Europe. It's just bad managment. If you want to fix Ford then listen to people in other counteries who want to know why you won't sell them cars? People in the UK really want the Mustang, but once agin Ford's US only product plan won over. How stupid was that?

The Mustang can be sold, but the Lincoln can't. They need to establish the Lincoln brand. No, the Rover brand must never be graced and sell re-badged Lincolns, Lincolns should only be sold under the star badge and only the star badge.

Just think of the cost of making the D3 RHD just for one vehicle that's won't sell over 5K per year in Europe.

Have you looked at Jeremy's show? he will tear apart any American luxury car that tries to compete in Europe, and last time I remember UK picked that guy over Angilina Jolie or however her name was spelled.

The Mustang can be sold, but the Lincoln can't. They need to establish the Lincoln brand. No, the Rover brand must never be graced and sell re-badged Lincolns, Lincolns should only be sold under the star badge and only the star badge.

Just think of the cost of making the D3 RHD just for one vehicle that's won't sell over 5K per year in Europe.

Have you looked at Jeremy's show? he will tear apart any American luxury car that tries to compete in Europe, and last time I remember UK picked that guy over Angilina Jolie or however her name was spelled.

Your right Clarkson would tear a 'Lincoln' to bits. But if Ford made them from inexpensive CKD kits in the UK with upgraded bits and disguised it as a Rover then I think they would get a way with it and build a good market share. Lincoln as a brand would be a dead loss in Europe, because frankly speaking Europeans only trust Europeans to make Luxury cars. It might not be fair but that's the way it is. Even Lexus struggles here! Rover on the other hand was making between 60,000 - 80,000 Rover 75's a year before they went bust so logically the Rover brand is the better choice than Lincoln, which barely manages to achieve this on one model in the USA.

It's why a Vauxhall is a Vauxhall in the UK but sells as an Opel in Germany, people are brand sensitive and Rover is the stronger brand for Europe!

I never have been a big fan of Rover cars, but that’s a good point the Rover 75 was a very good car it just was unfortunate that it had the axe looming over it's head for about 5 years which must off been off putting to buyers, otherwise sales would have been well over the 100,000 mark. BMW have done it with the Mini when that was a basket case, it's also selling quite well in the States, they didn’t just do nothing. Sometimes l do wonder if Ford want to sell cars anymore.