New Chrome Clad Wheel

Jamers

Chrome-cladding has been around for awhile. Lots of those dualies you see have chrome wheel skins instead of true chromed wheels. I think if I'm not mistaken, I read that even some of these 'chrome' semi wheels you see are actually a type of chrome cladding.

From what I've read it seems to me that most of the light duty automobiles, trucks and suvs usually use an alloy wheel with the chrome cover on top. Mine, for example, are the same 20" aluminum wheels that were offered on the Ram at the same time. The difference is that those destined to become chrome-clad, were not polished but unpolished and uncoated...except for the cover, of course.

At first, I wasn't crazy about what seemed like a hubcap just glued to the wheel, but I came to accept it as Pioneer indicated...as an industry trend. I agree that it would seem the price is high for what they are but that just because most will pay for it rather than to worry about buying new rims and remounting the tires. Plus, they are very easy to care for, which makes a difference. Most people buy the vehicle they want as-is on the spot and that's the way it was with my truck.

From my experience, I wouldn't necessarily pass on the chrome clad option. However, it would just depend on the vehicle and the wheels offered as to which I'd choose. If the chrome cladded wheel comes off looking like a plastic hubcap...I'll pass.

So you are saying there is nothing but a steel wheel underneath that chrome cladding. So it's all about cost and doesn't save any weight. Like I said, I prefer the alloy wheel. My 2002 Taurus has alloy wheels and they have not even pitted yet after 5 winters. Look good as new. Just not a fan of chrome wheels and steel rims. I'm an old guy and don't like change. Give me alloy wheels. Thank god you can still get an Edge and Taurus with nice looking alloy wheels for now anyway.

Hi FordBuyer. :D No, the Edge wheels are aluminum with chrome cladding. Not steel. It is the same story with the chrome clad wheels on the Taurus, MKZ, MKX, Sable, etc., etc.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530