New Chrome Clad Wheel

Jamers

The Ford website now has a new chrome clad wheel available that's not in the Edge brochure.

Here's a pic of the old on top and the new on bottom. I'm not certain which one I prefer. I suppose I'd need to see the new one side by side on an Edge to select my favorite.

wheels.jpg

I bought my AWD SEL+ with the older style. The newer one does look nice though! I would have to take a moment on deciding which one if i were buying right now.

What is an A/S BSW tire though? Any better/worse than the Conti Cross Contact LX's that come standard with the older 18" wheels.

Is this something to do with the supply of the 18" wheels that was leading to hold ups on production of the Edge's with 18" chromes? Are they adding another option because they have another supplier that can ease that delay?

I bought my AWD SEL+ with the older style. The newer one does look nice though! I would have to take a moment on deciding which one if i were buying right now.

What is an A/S BSW tire though? Any better/worse than the Conti Cross Contact LX's that come standard with the older 18" wheels.

Is this something to do with the supply of the 18" wheels that was leading to hold ups on production of the Edge's with 18" chromes? Are they adding another option because they have another supplier that can ease that delay?

Are we talking real chromed rims or chromed plastic skins for that $750.00?

They are all chromed plastic, and all automakers are doing it. It reduces weight, helping fuel economy.

Something else comes to mind. If you accidentally trash a skin, it's cheaper to replace than a chromed metal rim.

its the same chrome wheel off of the explorer eddie bauer

I thought the same thing. Personally, I like the top one better. Is it true that these skins are glued on and you have to replace the whole wheel if you damage one?

My experience with chrome-cladded wheels began with my Ram. It was until I had inked the deal that I realized that chrome-clad meant faux-chrome on an aluminum wheel. At first, I wasn't crazy about the idea. However, after nearly 4 years of ownership, I can say that they hold up well and they clean extremely easy...MUCH BETTER than polished aluminum. Just a little soap on a rag and they shine like new. Just have to keep them clean of brake dust and remember that they are NOT true chrome, so NO CHROME POLISH. Also, you have to be careful of high pressure car wash wands.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just bought our '07 SEL+ AWD about a month ago and it has the new style 18" wheels. IMHO, these are the best looking wheels they offer. Originally I was going to get the standard painted aluminum 18" wheels but they don't look good with the Copper. We had the choice to get either of the chrome 18" wheels and these ones looked the best.

EDIT: Also, these are EXTREMELY easy to clean as someone said above. Soap and water is all you need and they gleam.

Edge%20Side.jpg

Edited by Mike 07 EDGE

I must admit that I would not have ordered the vehicle with the plastic FAUX chrome wheels. However, they were on the vehicle I wanted so I had to buy them. They look ok, but I have seen chrome peel of of plastic too often to have much faith in there durability...

Hopfully, I am wrong...

The Ford website now has a new chrome clad wheel available that's not in the Edge brochure.

Here's a pic of the old on top and the new on bottom. I'm not certain which one I prefer. I suppose I'd need to see the new one side by side on an Edge to select my favorite.

wheels.jpg

Ford also has new 20" chrome wheels available on the 08 Edge. It's not on the Ford website yet, and I can't find any pictures though.

I also think they should make these an option...

1.jpg

I know it wouldn't happen thought.

I must admit that I would not have ordered the vehicle with the plastic FAUX chrome wheels. However, they were on the vehicle I wanted so I had to buy them. They look ok, but I have seen chrome peel of of plastic too often to have much faith in there durability...

Hopfully, I am wrong...

I hate those chrome clad wheels. IMO, they are ripoff. $695 to cover nice, aluminum wheel with chromed plastic is outrageous. I would not pay it. My vehicle has the nice alloy wheels with Ford logo in middle and I would not want chromed plastic covering them up and have to pay for it also. Ford should have these only as option and not put them on just about every vehicle they make. I'm sure some like them, but many don't also. Thank god they don't put that chromed crap on the Fusion at least.

Quit with the chrome Ford. A little is ok in discreet spots, but enough already.

A chrome wheel looks better than a chrome grille any day.

And, get used to the chrome plastic wheels boys and girls. With CAFE and the government breathing down the automakers necks, these will become more common. Anywhere you can save weight, corners will be cut..

How does adding cheap plastic chrome onto alloy wheel cut weight? All it does is hide your alloy wheel and make surface gaudy. And put $600 into manufacturers pocket as they probably cost $100 to make. I notice that in Metro Detroit many are buying new Taurus without chrome clad wheel and opting for alloy wheels that are handsomer and not as gaudy. Adding plastic to alloy does not cut weight but adds it. Alloy means lightweight metal.

post-11790-1119970047_thumb.jpg

How does adding cheap plastic chrome onto alloy wheel cut weight? All it does is hide your alloy wheel and make surface gaudy. And put $600 into manufacturers pocket as they probably cost $100 to make. I notice that in Metro Detroit many are buying new Taurus without chrome clad wheel and opting for alloy wheels that are handsomer and not as gaudy. Adding plastic to alloy does not cut weight but adds it. Alloy means lightweight metal.

I agree. I cannot see how adding FAUX plastic crome to an aluminum wheel is saving any weight. If anything, it will make the heaver.

The lightest wheels we used in racing were deep drawn aluminum wheels with magnesium in the alloy.

Like I said, I did not buy them by choice. However, I found a Demo with every option I wanted ( except for the wheels ) and got a great deal, so I could live with the price of the cheap looking FAUX chrome wheels.

I also have a set of real 17" aluminum wheels from my 2005 Mustang that should fit. If they have the right offset, I'll put them on when it is time for new tires. Believe it or not the original rubber on the Mustang is too narrow for the Edge at only 235mm. Although, I bet the 235mm PZeros would out handle the 245mm Coopers....

I'll have to say I like the white Edge with the large 20s. Chrome clads look good on some vehicles more so than others and the wheel design makes a difference. Personally, I've had both polished aluminum and chrome clad and I'd honestly rather have chrome clad if the styling of the wheel looks good. Take my Crown Vic for instance. With the 16" split-Y spokes, I wouldn't dream of having chrome on those wheels. The polished aluminum with argent trim is fine for the design.

The 20" Ram wheels made from 02-05 (maybe it was 06) looked better with the chrome appearance IMO. The polished aluminum look good on some designs but if you have a lot of surface area, they look dull beside the chrome finish and never will have the mirror-like shine. I think chrome clads look especially good if you've got a lot of chrome to begin with. My truck has chromed step bars with are perfectly framed by the 20" chrome clad wheels.

Nothing wrong with chrome clad. Most of these Ford grilles are not true chrome...just coated in a chrome-like paint. You can't find a true piece of chromed metal on practically any of modern cars. Wheels are hardly any difference and no one will know the difference unless they get down close and really look. I've never had that good a luck with polished wheels. Even in my fantatical Mustang days, it seems I could never stop my polished wheels from hazing on me.

Edited by Traveler

By using a higher strength steel, you can cheaply make a steel wheel into a chrome clad wheel. Thus saving weight over a chromed steel, and saving cost over an aluminum.

So you are saying there is nothing but a steel wheel underneath that chrome cladding. So it's all about cost and doesn't save any weight. Like I said, I prefer the alloy wheel. My 2002 Taurus has alloy wheels and they have not even pitted yet after 5 winters. Look good as new. Just not a fan of chrome wheels and steel rims. I'm an old guy and don't like change. Give me alloy wheels. Thank god you can still get an Edge and Taurus with nice looking alloy wheels for now anyway.

So you are saying there is nothing but a steel wheel underneath that chrome cladding.

I have no idea what is underneath the cladding. I am drawing on the knowledge of when my plant used to make wheels, and I worked on the lines that made the rims. 8 years ago, it was all about high strength steel so they could be made lighter and cheaper. Some were even lighter than their aluminum counterparts. Problem was, our equipment wasn't built to withstand the steel, and quickly wore out. Instead of investing in our plant, they outsourced the business.

A lighter steel wheel with chrome cladding would cost less, weigh less, and have less maintenance associated with it. Don't look now, but it's the wave of the future. Any way Ford engineers can save a few ounces, they will. Especially when you have four of them per vehicle.

I have no idea what is underneath the cladding. I am drawing on the knowledge of when my plant used to make wheels, and I worked on the lines that made the rims. 8 years ago, it was all about high strength steel so they could be made lighter and cheaper. Some were even lighter than their aluminum counterparts. Problem was, our equipment wasn't built to withstand the steel, and quickly wore out. Instead of investing in our plant, they outsourced the business.

A lighter steel wheel with chrome cladding would cost less, weigh less, and have less maintenance associated with it. Don't look now, but it's the wave of the future. Any way Ford engineers can save a few ounces, they will. Especially when you have four of them per vehicle.

The Chrome Clad wheels on the Edge appear to be cast aluminum with FAUX plastic chrome cladding. They seem heavy, so I doubt weight was even a consideration in their use. I suspect that cost savings is the only reason for the design...