Trailer Tow Package

Jamers

I have no plans to tow anything with my next leased Edge. Although some of these tow options looks like that may be well suited for warmer climates like mine in Florida. Most of the Edges on the dealer's lot have the tow package. It's it smart to have even if I don't plan to tow?

In previous years I opted for it on the Explorers/Expeditions just for the limited slip differential and the "quicker of the line" 3:73 gears. However, I don't think those apply to a front wheel drive vehicle. Maybe the gearing but I don't see it mentioned.

Tow.jpg

I bought it with that option just over a month ago. I do intend to occasionally tow things, but only a couple of times a year. I also intend to put a hitch mounted bike carrier as well. I am also hoping that the larger radiator, fans and oil cooler will keep the vehicle running cooler in the heat we have here in FL and also that the battery wont die as soon as most do in this state.

I dont know about helping the resale value. At least the hitch is mounted in the frame rather than drilling through like other aftermarket options on some cars. If you have it on there, i would assume people would think you have used it, obviously its a nice feature, but of course it might prompt some to wonder about the transmission.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did you folks find a pigtail assy stashed anywhere inside your Edge?

My Explorer came with one stashed in the cubby hole in the back, but I don't see one for the Edge.

-Larry

I just picked up a new MKX last weekend. I have the trailer tow package but haven't yet found the pigtail either.

Riley

I just picked up a new MKX last weekend. I have the trailer tow package but haven't yet found the pigtail either.

Riley

It's got to be in there. If your vehicle came with a trailor tow package it has to be there, unless the wrong wiring harness was installed by the supplier. The fascias come with the wiring harness already installed. There are four different harnesses for the Edge and two for the MKX. :stats:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple Q about the Edge/MDX trailer tow package :

What size is the receiver - 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" or 2" X 2" ?

There are (2) different final drive ratios, one used for the FWD and one for the AWD. Is there any way to tell from actual vehicles, by a marking on the trans, or a code on the door sticker what ratio is being used with the tow package ?

It's got to be in there. If your vehicle came with a trailor tow package it has to be there, unless the wrong wiring harness was installed by the supplier. The fascias come with the wiring harness already installed. There are four different harnesses for the Edge and two for the MKX. :stats:

If there is a stowage compartment for the jack in the side panel of the cargo area, open it up and see if it's in there. My mountaineer had it stored there.

What size is the receiver - 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" or 2" X 2" ?

Class II towing (which is what the Edge is) is always the smaller.

There are (2) different final drive ratios, one used for the FWD and one for the AWD. Is there any way to tell from actual vehicles, by a marking on the trans, or a code on the door sticker what ratio is being used with the tow package ?

Are you certain about the difference in final drive ratio between FWD and AWD ? I thought they were the same.

Yes, there is a code on the door sticker. No, I don't know how to decipher it.

If there is a stowage compartment for the jack in the side panel of the cargo area, open it up and see if it's in there. My mountaineer had it stored there.

You might have to look up undeneath the fascia. The trailor light hookup cable has to be there. If your Edge came with the back-up sensing device, the trailor hookup will be incorporated with that assembly. As I said earlier, the cable assembly comes fixed to the fascia from the supplier.

• 1 year later...