FORD, please let me have a Mustang

joihan777

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make the next Mustang convertible have a pop-up rollover safety system.

My wife has 'graciously' agreed that my next car should be a Mustang,

but only if it has a rollover protection system. Since nearly all of the

tuners/ weekend racers/ speed addicts drive the coupe, the convertible

wouldn't lose sales from adding a few hundred pounds in the name of safety.

PLEASE FORD!!!!!!!!!!! Daddy needs a new set of wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone agree with this logic?

• 3 months later...

Does your wife have some tragic past experience with convertible roll-overs? Or are the lot of you just worry-warts? I have enjoyed convertibles for 41 of my 51 years - without pop-tart rollover protection - and I'm still here to crow about it. In fact, I had the top down today. Of course, I have been known to drink out of the garden hose, ski without a helmet, and eat uncooked fish (despite the dire warnings of the health department) too. Life is too short: get the damn convertible. And some Prozac for your wife.

Does your wife have some tragic past experience with convertible roll-overs? Or are the lot of you just worry-warts? I have enjoyed convertibles for 41 of my 51 years - without pop-tart rollover protection - and I'm still here to crow about it. In fact, I had the top down today. Of course, I have been known to drink out of the garden hose, ski without a helmet, and eat uncooked fish (despite the dire warnings of the health department) too. Life is too short: get the damn convertible. And some Prozac for your wife.

I'm in the medical field. I have buddies that are EMT's/ Paramedics. They have cameras. Sometimes they get to the scene before the police do. They take pictures. They share pictures with me. I nearly barf. Accidents happen. I have even seen a car flip completely over in a 20 mph collision.

So I love convertibles. Millions of people do. I love safety. Millions of people do too. I'm glad you've driven 41 years without an incident. Unfortunately, to me your attitude reminds me of those who thought seatbelts were a waste of time way back when. Today they are taken for granted and few people whine about them. Safety items are commonly bemoaned until, if you are fortunate enough to receive a second chance, one has a close call with death. Do you have to wait until this happens? 10 years ago I was struck by a drunk (& stoned) driver while on my motorcycle. The gouge on my helmet (that nearly went all the way through) told me enough that I thanked God for those who fought for helmet laws.

All the high end manufacturers provide rollover protection for their convertibles: Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Saab, Lexus, Volvo...

Is there some profound reason Ford isn't willing to emulate these successful brands?

I would think Ford prefer counting these manufacturers as competition, as opposed to potential buyers automatically disregarding Ford products!

As the buying public slowly realizes the importance of safety features, the addition of pop-up rollover safety systems become more & more prudent. I think Ford promoting the new Taurus as a safe vehicle indicates they are beginning to see the trend. It's time for Ford to stop losing sales by being cheap.

I'd gladly pay a small premium in order to get inside a safe, convertible Mustang! (Same goes for new T-Bird!)

Edited by joihan777

All the high end manufacturers provide rollover protection for their convertibles: Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Saab, Lexus, Volvo...

Is there some profound reason Ford isn't willing to emulate these successful brands?

Heck, the VW New Beetle Convertible has an active rollover system.

Why not just avoid rolling over? Seems to me it only happens with one behavior: takeing a turn too fast.

Don't take turns too fast = no rollover = you and your wife happily enjoy your convertible.

I've just never heard of such a bizarre demand... wtf...

Why not just avoid rolling over? Seems to me it only happens with one behavior: takeing a turn too fast.

Don't take turns too fast = no rollover = you and your wife happily enjoy your convertible.

WOW! Realize not all rollovers are caused by the driver turning too fast. That's why they're called accidents!

And it is not a bizarre request, not in the slightest. Otherwise Mercedes, BMW, Vovlo, VW are all bizarre? NOT!

WOW! Realize not all rollovers are caused by the driver turning too fast. That's why they're called accidents!

And it is not a bizarre request, not in the slightest. Otherwise Mercedes, BMW, Vovlo, VW are all bizarre? NOT!

Safety sells. Cars are getting heavier due to added airbags and other safety equipment. People pay attention to crash tests numbers. Because of that highway deaths are at an all time low based on miles driven. There's nothing wrong with a pop-up or fixed roll bar in a convertible. Fixed roll bars look purposeful in a convertible and add structural strength/improve handling. Pop-ups seem over engineered, add extra weight and I'd always wonder if it would work when you need it.

Why not add a fixed roll bar? Shelby convertibles have had them since 1967....look cool, stiffen the structure AND be safe.

(They are called "light bars" now, although they add structural stiffness, disclaimer :"Light bars have no structural integrity.")

Huh. When my brother's car rolled he was going 35 in a straight line. The car that hit him was going upwords of 70 and was racing someone else.

Pop-ups seem over engineered, add extra weight and I'd always wonder if it would work when you need it.

There's a video on the net somewhere of the new beetle's pop-ups in action (my wife has one). The PT convertible has a light bar for looks only (Though I am sure many buyers assumed they were structural. I would be surprised if a real roll bar is not heaver than the popups as used in the NB.

I'm in the medical field. I have buddies that are EMT's/ Paramedics. They have cameras. Sometimes they get to the scene before the police do. They take pictures. They share pictures with me. I nearly barf. Accidents happen. I have even seen a car flip completely over in a 20 mph collision.

So I love convertibles. Millions of people do. I love safety. Millions of people do too. I'm glad you've driven 41 years without an incident. Unfortunately, to me your attitude reminds me of those who thought seatbelts were a waste of time way back when. Today they are taken for granted and few people whine about them. Safety items are commonly bemoaned until, if you are fortunate enough to receive a second chance, one has a close call with death. Do you have to wait until this happens? 10 years ago I was struck by a drunk (& stoned) driver while on my motorcycle. The gouge on my helmet (that nearly went all the way through) told me enough that I thanked God for those who fought for helmet laws.

I would think Ford prefer counting these manufacturers as competition, as opposed to potential buyers automatically disregarding Ford products!

As the buying public slowly realizes the importance of safety features, the addition of pop-up rollover safety systems become more & more prudent. I think Ford promoting the new Taurus as a safe vehicle indicates they are beginning to see the trend. It's time for Ford to stop losing sales by being cheap.

I'd gladly pay a small premium in order to get inside a safe, convertible Mustang! (Same goes for new T-Bird!)

Well that answers my question. I suppose we all have our lines to draw, and I guess I shouldn't criticise yours. (Though I do find it a little ironic that you're worried about a roll bar in the Mustang, yet you ride a motorcycle - care to research the fatality rates on those?) But, whenever another new issue comes up - the health department won't let Orange Julius crack a raw egg in my drink anymore, an "always wear safety goggles" label appears on my new screwdriver, my wife -who is 4'-11" - can't get her car without an explosive device in the steering hub that is liable to kill her in a parking lot fender-bender, I've gotta fill out 50 releases and waivers so my kid can go on the school field trip - I just get a little cynical. Yes, I'm a geezer. But I mean, why don't we just lower the speed limit to 25 mph, install governors on all our cars, go out in 6-point safety harnesses and nomex underwear, outlaw skiing, motorcycling, bicycling, bungee jumping, skydiving, toys with small parts, sticky and stringy foods, swimming pools, boating, and - of course - alcohol in all its shapes and forms (did I forget firearms?) and wear big foam helmets whenever we step out the front door? Just think of all the lives that could be saved! I've got a friend who is a survivalist. When most people buy a new house, they might splurge on some new carpets or furniture. He immediately outfitted the place with earthquake straps. He's got a 1 year supply of all his prescription medicines on hand at all times. He has a secret room filled with firearms and ammo. He has a 6 month supply of food and drinking water. He has flares, blankets, a first aid kit, spare belts and hoses in the trunk of his car. He has a first-aid kit that he can do minor surgeries with. He imagines that civilization is going to collapse at any time and that he's going to have to fend for himself. In fact, he's going to die like most of the rest of us - in a suburban hospital with tubes up his ass. And you're simply not going to flip your Mustang. Regardless of whether it has a pop-up roll bar or not.

I'm not saying that rollover accidents don't ever happen. As a matter of fact, I've known 3 different people who were involved in rollover accidents:

- The girl next door - who rolled over her parent's Subaru station wagon - and their Mitsubishi wagon (2 rollovers).

- A guy I used to work with, who had rolled 2 Datsun 2000GTs, and a 240Z (3 rollovers - 2 of them in convertibles with no roll bar)

- another guy I used to work with, who loved old Willies Station wagons, and had bought - and rolled - no less than 3 of those. I think he gave up and went to something else after that.

Please note the common thread here: drivers who are obviously idiots.

p.s. If somebody offered to show me crash photos, I would decline.

Edited by retro-man

Safety sells. Cars are getting heavier due to added airbags and other safety equipment. People pay attention to crash tests numbers. Because of that highway deaths are at an all time low based on miles driven. There's nothing wrong with a pop-up or fixed roll bar in a convertible. Fixed roll bars look purposeful in a convertible and add structural strength/improve handling. Pop-ups seem over engineered, add extra weight and I'd always wonder if it would work when you need it.

Why not add a fixed roll bar? Shelby convertibles have had them since 1967....look cool, stiffen the structure AND be safe.

(They are called "light bars" now, although they add structural stiffness, disclaimer :"Light bars have no structural integrity.")

When I said pop-up rollbars, I wasn't exactly fixated on the idea of the pyrotechnically popping up type only. I think you have a valid point in Ford possibly outfitting their convertibles with fixed rollover bars. If done tastefully they can look perfectly acceptable. This is a pic of a Mercedes SLK 350....(which I think the next T-Bird should emulate) I think the rollbar looks perfectly proper in there! Ford can add either a non-glare black/ subdued finish to their rollbars, or even try a brushed aluminum. You're right, rollbars DO look purposeful in convertibles!

2007.mercedes-benz.slk-class.20104217-E.jpg

Edited by joihan777

Well that answers my question. I suppose we all have our lines to draw, and I guess I shouldn't criticise yours. (Though I do find it a little ironic that you're worried about a roll bar in the Mustang, yet you ride a motorcycle - care to research the fatality rates on those?)
Actually, I don't ride anymore.... too many idiots on the road for my taste. If I even look at one I get the dope slap upside the back of my head! :o

He has a first-aid kit that he can do minor surgeries with. He imagines that civilization is going to collapse at any time and that he's going to have to fend for himself. In fact, he's going to die like most of the rest of us - in a suburban hospital with tubes up his ass. And you're simply not going to flip your Mustang. Regardless of whether it has a pop-up roll bar or not.
Well I hope he doesn't end up on my station, he'll get a lot more tubes than that! And if & when I get a Mustang, I don't plan on flipping it. However I can't speak for the drunk/ speed racer wanna-be. I just want to improve my odds.

I also think Ford would recognize a rollbar as a selling point. How much you want to bet the new Camaro will have one?

p.s. If somebody offered to show me crash photos, I would decline.
Agreed. There was one particular set that showed what happened when 1) drunk man got in the way of 1) 18-wheeler on the highway.

They found most of him.

http://livermoreperformance.com/

Rollbars cost $500 from these guys, AND they're structural... not just visual. Just buy it, bolt it on, and you're set.

Also, in case you were wondering, Ford engineered the windshield frame of the 05+ Mustang to be extremely strong, and will withstand virtually any impact associated with a rollover.

Thanks Wescoent, that will be Plan B in case I get the funds before Ford gets the rollbars. I've seen that place before too, so it ain't too far to drive!

Thanks Wescoent, that will be Plan B in case I get the funds before Ford gets the rollbars. I've seen that place before too, so it ain't too far to drive!

My pleasure. I'm just glad you'll be able to get your dream car. If you want, you can dress it up a little bit with a Roush rollbar, which you might be able to rig over it.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a friend who went head on with a drunk driver (at 8am). He was driving a '96 Mustang Convertible and the drunk guy had a Chevy S10. He has a huge scar over his eye from where he hit the corner of the windshield frame, most of his vision in that eye is gone. He spent a month in a hospital unconscious. He actually did pretty well compared to the drunk guy in the S-10 who didn't make it.

Anyway, that story made me decide on the Mustang coupe. No window corners to hit your head on in a coupe.

And no, they didn't roll in the Mustang. But think about the sheer number of accidents there are in the U.S.. Even with a low percentage of rollover accidents there are still plenty of them. Enough that I don't want to risk having a 3500+ pound car on my head.

No matter how good of a driver you are, it's often more about how good a driver the other guy is. There are a ton of absolute morons driving now.

Consider this also, a large percentage of V-6 Mustang Convertible buyers are women. I hate to make myself sound like a complete sexist, but yeah, a lot of them are gonna roll that car at some point.

It would be great for Ford's sales to have some kind of rollover protection in the Mustang.

I just don't see the problem with having your fun car be safe at the same time. Does it make it less fun for you if you aren't risking death quite as much?

I have a friend who went head on with a drunk driver (at 8am). He was driving a '96 Mustang Convertible and the drunk guy had a Chevy S10. He has a huge scar over his eye from where he hit the corner of the windshield frame, most of his vision in that eye is gone. He spent a month in a hospital unconscious. He actually did pretty well compared to the drunk guy in the S-10 who didn't make it.

Anyway, that story made me decide on the Mustang coupe. No window corners to hit your head on in a coupe.

And no, they didn't roll in the Mustang. But think about the sheer number of accidents there are in the U.S.. Even with a low percentage of rollover accidents there are still plenty of them. Enough that I don't want to risk having a 3500+ pound car on my head.

No matter how good of a driver you are, it's often more about how good a driver the other guy is. There are a ton of absolute morons driving now.

Consider this also, a large percentage of V-6 Mustang Convertible buyers are women. I hate to make myself sound like a complete sexist, but yeah, a lot of them are gonna roll that car at some point.

It would be great for Ford's sales to have some kind of rollover protection in the Mustang.

I just don't see the problem with having your fun car be safe at the same time. Does it make it less fun for you if you aren't risking death quite as much?

Sorry to hear that about your friend. Was he buckled in? What were the speed/ conditions?

Lately I've been thinking that the Mustang could have a tasteful & sporty looking permanent rollbar that curved up over the rear seat headrests but was low in the middle, thus keeping rear visibility intact while managing to look good. The pic of the Mercedes SLK 350, in an earlier post, shows the kind of 'curved' rollbar I'm talking about. Using a fixed bar system over a pyrotechnically activated one would save on weight & costs too. Here is the original 2005 Mustang prototype (the one we all went *apesh_t* over!) that sports a fixed rollover bar system. How cool would it be for Ford to debut a safety rollbar in a muscle car before Camaro did?

146.jpg

Edited by joihan777

• 3 months later...

Okay Ford,

Hope you're reading these forums! I STILL want a Mustang (OK mebbe a T-Bird too) but I NEED it to provide some type of rolllover protection!

Please don't think there are only a few of us who care. If safety is irrelevant, then the media wouldn't have had a field day with the Firestone rollovers. People still consider those rollover accidents to be all on Ford. Bad news lingers! PLEASE consider spending a little extra on rollover equipment! It won't hurt the Pony Car performance image because the racing is done with the coupes, not convertibles anyway!

Usually it's the other way around. The drunk/stoned guy walks away with just a scratch, while the sober person dies or ends up in the hospital for a year.

I like the light bar on the Shelby's. If they were made to be a real roll bar, then everyone would benefit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Agreed.

I am sure he can have one custom fabricated for under $30k or so and still be cheaper then an S Class convertible by $70K.

That or just don't roll the car over. Most cars have phony style bars, not pop-up systems.

Agreed.

I am sure he can have one custom fabricated for under $30k or so and still be cheaper then an S Class convertible by $70K.

That or just don't roll the car over. Most cars have phony style bars, not pop-up systems.

Agreed, throw in a structual lightbar and call it a day, and yeah go ahead keep suggesting to ford to add everything on to the mustang that mercedes does and lets see how long the mustang stays what its supposed to be.

The mustang is not and will not be as fast as a corvette or comfertable as a cadilac, but it is not supposed to be.

Its history has always been the blue collar guys dream car, affordable V8 coupe with stick and a clutch.