TTAC Escape Review

Hugh

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3570

My intention is not to flame or stir up trouble. All I am saying is I found this review to be rather biased and nit-picky.

It's the comments that are borderline ridiculous. They don't seem thought out and uninformed. What grieves me is if you don't know what's going on, find out before you render judgement.

I am not a apologist; I find good and bad in the 2008. Overall, IMHO, it is a great improvement.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3570

My intention is not to flame or stir up trouble. All I am saying is I found this review to be rather biased and nit-picky.

It's the comments that are borderline ridiculous. They don't seem thought out and uninformed. What grieves me is if you don't know what's going on, find out before you render judgement.

I am not a apologist; I find good and bad in the 2008. Overall, IMHO, it is a great improvement.

Typical factless review. 2/3 of his time was spent complaining about plastics and knobs. If you want to do that go pick on Chrysler! No data and an overal subjective review really does nothing for me. I might as well go back to reading Car and Driver!

The review and most comments sounded right to me. I'd like the Escape to succeed, but it's a half-ass upgrade. And the Hybrid, which I would seriously consider, has no stability control, mundane colors and one interior. What's up with that?!

So you agree Ford was right by leaving a 10 year old engine/transmission combination in a redesigned vehicle, while it's competitors improve on their drivetrains? What's the selling point, then? What is the incentive to a person to buy a new one?

What was I thinking, actually expecting Ford to make a competitive product. I guess shortchanging product redesigns is one way of paying for Alan's bonuses. :rolleyes:

I think they have made a competative product with the new Excape. The 2.3 is worlds better than the original Zetec and no one else in class offers a hybrid yet. The V6 probably could use a boost for image reasons, but why is everyone rushing to grab power in this class. These are primarily budget minded family haulers.

I think they have made a competative product with the new Excape. The 2.3 is worlds better than the original Zetec and no one else in class offers a hybrid yet. The V6 probably could use a boost for image reasons, but why is everyone rushing to grab power in this class. These are primarily budget minded family haulers.

But then the problem becomes why would someone choose the Escape over the competition? I wanted to like the Escape, but other than price I can't come up with any solid reason to choose it over say a RAV4 or CRV. Even on price something like the Equinox/Torrent might be cheaper. They hybrid might be the only thing going for the Escape.

But then the problem becomes why would someone choose the Escape over the competition? I wanted to like the Escape, but other than price I can't come up with any solid reason to choose it over say a RAV4 or CRV. Even on price something like the Equinox/Torrent might be cheaper. They hybrid might be the only thing going for the Escape.

I think that's it, it is priced right for what it is. I also agree that the hybrid maybe the only thing it has going for it. That's the only reason we are looking at it.

So with all of the gripes against it, do you all think it will hit its sales targets?

Here's one...

Have you seen the CR-V's or Rav4's? Ugggggly glorified station wagons. They are trying way too hard to be cute.

Everybody seems to be upset that Ford hasn't gone more European or Japanese, but when you see how good the new Escape looks in person, you will be glad they haven't turned into a vehicle for Barbie, and kept it as an SUV.

It does seem that the new Escape is getting beaten up in the reviews though.... It seems strange. Barring cost the decision for me came down to the Escape, Nissan X-Trail and Suzuki Grand Vitara. I was concerned about reliability, and if anything this drivetrain (and the entire Escape) is reliable, so it won out in the end. But I had no interest in the Cute-utes at all... get sick of seeing all of those driving around the city.

Edited by loki

It would have been nice had Ford updated the drivetrain, but I'll take the interior improvements, sound refinements, and the slight improvement to the hybrid's mpg (using 07 testing.) I guess they didn't have the funds to improve things more (although it might have been good long-term thinking on their part.) There are so many blogs out there with hidden/obvious agendas, you really have to take these critics with a grain of salt. It looks like the projections might not be working out though since I have seen 2 incentives come out since release, one ($545) came out on the 1st. If I was not looking at the hybrid though, I would seriously consider the Rav4 (heresy, I know), although the Escape's exterior has grown on me during my upcoming purchase research... not sure why, but it really does look better in person than via photos. To be honest this will be my first Ford unless you count the 67 Mustang Convertible I had in high school/college, I look forward to receiving it...

The hybrid is quite nice. My friend in his FWD has been averaging well over 30. I think the exterior is vastly better, the interior crisp, clean and well laid-out overall. Again, vastly better than last year and one of the nicest in its class.

Fear not my friends, the 2009 Escape (due early next year) is supposed to have the upgraded 3.0 PIP from the Fusion, a new base 4-cyl and a 6-speed auto.

Please tell more, any other changes we should know about, maybe a link to this news? Any hybrid changes?

Fear not my friends, the 2009 Escape (due early next year) is supposed to have the upgraded 3.0 PIP from the Fusion, a new base 4-cyl and a 6-speed auto.