For those in the know, will there be any upgrades to the 2008 model, or can we expect the same old "cosmetic" adjustments as usual.? Looking for better HP, 5 or 6 speed transmission, etc. Hoping for the best in 2008.

Nothing more than speculation, but I tend to agree. I don't see any more investment in these cars, unless it is minor cosmetic changes. Ford continues to make ongoing changes (like the tachometer) but none of them as extensive as those in 2003. I think this indicates a commitment to the market, but not necessarily to the platform long-term. I feel that we've seen about all the modifications we'll see until there's a replacement.

That said, I don't think many in the market for a large sedan will be displeased with the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis or Town Car when opting for the HPP package in terms of performance. The cars are more spirited in acceleration with no published horsepower or torque changes and handle notable better since Ford radically revised the suspension. IMO, they feel like they make more power than what the numbers suggest and do not wallow and lean in corners like they used to. Plus, mine gets great mileage (for a V8) on the highway at 27-30 mpg and cruises quietly.

Not in 2008 we start building them soon so Ill see what I can find out but so far looks exactly the same as 2007.

2009 rumours of more changes but nothing concrete yet, rumours of a new engine etc....but all speculaion right now.

Not in 2008 we start building them soon so Ill see what I can find out but so far looks exactly the same as 2007.

2009 rumours of more changes but nothing concrete yet, rumours of a new engine etc....but all speculaion right now.

2008 models arrived in the paint shop today ,only difference is that there may be locking gas doors again otherwise same old same old.

2008 models arrived in the paint shop today ,only difference is that there may be locking gas doors again otherwise same old same old.

The biggest change is that the CV is available to fleets only. Tire pressure monitoring system is standard.

Beige color deleted.

Restricting the CV to fleet only makes sense. It gives Mercury dealers an exclusive vehicle to sell to the GP, and the local L-M dealer (Holman in Mt. Laurel, NJ) has a good selection of colors and options in stock, as it should be. (Not one, though, has the handling/dual exhaust package :( )

My local Ford dealer (Winner in Cherry Hill, NJ) has a huge business selling CV Police Interceptors to most of the police departments in South Jersey. In their back lot are literally hundreds of CVPIs. Up front, in the lot for sales to the general public, they have exactly one - yes, one - civilian CV. The same is true at other Ford dealers in the area - no one stocks civilian CVs.

So the change for 2008 is really no big deal - if you want a Panther, go to a Mercury dealer. And beg him to order you one with the handling/dual exhaust package.

I'd personally rather have the Ford...but I guess if they aren't changing the Panthers significantly any time soon, I'm already taken care of. I only have 35,000 miles on mine so it'll likely last awhile. I do think that they still have the potential to sell some civilan Vics over the Marquises, but admittedly the typical buyer will likely be just as interested in the Grand Marq, especially if the price isn't out of line with what the Ford would have costs. Still, you have people that still buy Fords out of tradition...even over Mercury. I think that's a big reason why Ford has struggled in recent years. They just don't have the brand loyalty with car sales like they used to.

What would be interesting to find out is if the civilan Crown Vics sell better in different parts of the country. I see quite a few civilian Vics in NC and I suspect that the Panthers do better in the south, midwest and southwest probably more so than in the north, northwest and west coast Climate and tradition probably determines Panther sells more than anything else.

I'd personally rather have the Ford...but I guess if they aren't changing the Panthers significantly any time soon, I'm already taken care of. I only have 35,000 miles on mine so it'll likely last awhile. I do think that they still have the potential to sell some civilan Vics over the Marquises, but admittedly the typical buyer will likely be just as interested in the Grand Marq, especially if the price isn't out of line with what the Ford would have costs. Still, you have people that still buy Fords out of tradition...even over Mercury. I think that's a big reason why Ford has struggled in recent years. They just don't have the brand loyalty with car sales like they used to.

What would be interesting to find out is if the civilan Crown Vics sell better in different parts of the country. I see quite a few civilian Vics in NC and I suspect that the Panthers do better in the south, midwest and southwest probably more so than in the north, northwest and west coast Climate and tradition probably determines Panther sells more than anything else.

I'm still curious to see if they will be giving the LSE option (five seater w/ floor shifter) again.

Anyone know? :headscratch:

I'm still curious to see if they will be giving the LSE option (five seater w/ floor shifter) again.

Anyone know? :headscratch:

If its true the Vic is fleet only from now on, I'd strongly suspect that the LSE (or variant) will make a return. For 07, the Vic LX Sport was removed from a status of being a separate model above the LX and made more as a package. I can only imagine that the console shifter will trickle down to the Grand Marquis now that the Vic is gone from public availability.

Actually, I wouldn't care if they made all civilian Panthers that way. That center section on the seat is absolutely worthless anyway. On mine, the armrests are always down and nobody rides there. The Panther is more appropriately a 5 passenger and I think most buyers would easily adjust to the shifter being in the center console rather than on the steering column.

Driftwood Beige wasn't a beige color (that was called Smokestone Metallic), but Driftwood Beige/Grey is or was more of a dark French Grey-something like a grey and brown mixed together. Never saw any Panthers in that color, but the Charcoal Beige used on thr 2006 Fusion/Milan is similar, and very nice, IMO.

The Crown Vic&G.Marquis seems to do well in the South.From Broward County to Key West last week saw tons of them.I live in Broward County and go to Miami-Dade alot and always see a bunch daily.The few people I spoke to about them say they like the cooling system in them since the A/C is always on all year long and traffic is a nightmare most days. In South Florida the average person only opens the window for parking garages or tolls.

Edited by MIAMI-DADE

Personally I like the looks of the Vic better than the GM. I have a 2000 and it's been a great car.

We have 3 Crown Vics in the family A 03 and 2-05's. Everybody tells us we should have got Grand Marquis instead.But we all like the look of the Vics better.

• 4 weeks later...
We have 3 Crown Vics in the family A 03 and 2-05's. Everybody tells us we should have got Grand Marquis instead.But we all like the look of the Vics better.

oh the humanity!!! ford will replace the Crown Vic with a much smaller car from down under the ford falcon!!! Americans want real big cars, for example my moms husband will only fit into a big car like the crown vic, other cars are too small, convertables not with standing since you can lower the tops

oh the humanity!!! ford will replace the Crown Vic with a much smaller car from down under the ford falcon!!! Americans want real big cars, for example my moms husband will only fit into a big car like the crown vic, other cars are too small, convertables not with standing since you can lower the tops
Assuming you meant humility not humanity..... The goal from Ford is to fill production on one shift as they retired half the folks at St Thomas... So with Fleet CV, Grand Marquis and Town Car the plan is to keep one shift really busy... However, if they are too successful the overtime will be first to add, then of course a whole new second shift with lower paid underskilled help....woe is us....the consumers of Panthers...