April's Number One CUV Manufacturer

RJ asked about this last month to see who would be the largest manufacturer of CUVs. The problem is trying to measure 1. what is a CUV and 2. who is the manufacturer. I ended up with a few lists trying to figure out who's who and what's what. I included only manufacturers that surpassed 10,000 units in April, so you'll note that some manufacturers, like Nissan (Murano 6,316 units & FX35/45 1,574 units), are missing from the list.

1. Brand name, SUV-like CUVs (Escape & Rav4, no PT Cruiser/HHR)

Honda - 32,841 - Pilot, CRV & Element

Ford - 28,815 - Escape, Edge & Freestyle

Toyota - 24,617 - Rav4 & Highlander

Hyundai - 10,956 - Tucson, Santa Fe & Veracruz

Saturn - 10,180 - Vue & Outlook

2. "Traditional Company", SUV-like CUVs

Honda - 39,489 - Honda & Acura

Ford - 34,781 - Ford, Lincoln & Mercury

Toyota - 32,478 - Toyota & Lexus

GM - 30,753 - Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, GMC, Pontiac & Saturn

Hyundai - 10,956 - Hyundai

3. Total Parent Company, SUV-like CUVs

Honda - 39,489

Ford - 38,251 - add Volvo & Land Rover

Toyota - 32,478

GM - 30,753

Hyundai - 10,956 - add Kia (0 crossovers)

But, then what is a CUV? Well, is the HHR a CUV? What about the PT Cruiser? Magnum? XC70?

So I added in the HHR, PT Cruiser, Caliber, Magnum, Compass, Patriot, and XC70. But I don't like these numbers because it doesn't include the Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. And even though it didn't make the list, would the Subaru Outback make the cut? How about the Subaru Impreza Wagon? Kia Rondo? Mazda5? It's a slippery slope, so I like the first definition better, but here are the numbers:

1. Brand name, "all" CUVs

Honda - 32,841

Ford - 28,815

Toyota - 24,617

Chrysler - 16,346 - Pacifica & PT Cruiser

Chevy - 13,924 - Equinox & HHR

Dodge - 11,695 - Caliber & Magnum

Hyundai - 10,956

Saturn - 10,180

2. Traditional Manufacturers, "all" CUVs

Honda - 39,489

GM - 37,564

Ford - 34,781

Chrysler - 34,184 - Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep

Toyota - 32,478

Hyundai - 10,956

3. Total Parent Company, "all" CUVs

DaimlerChrysler - 39,645 - Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep & Mercedes-Benz (R, M, & GL class)

Honda - 39,489

Ford - 39,007

GM - 37,564

Toyota - 32,478

Hyundai - 10,956

Confused yet? I know I am. So, in some ways Chrysler is pretty darn big, but only when you wrap what otherwise would be compact class cars into the sales numbers. If Matrix sales were added in I wonder how much higher Toyota would be?

But my favorite metric for measuring this class is Total Parent Company, SUV-like CUVs - which puts Ford as the second-largest manufacturer of CUVs right behind Honda. Not a bad place to be, all things considered.

Scott

Honka is such a green company.

Honda may be the "greenest" out there - heck, even their "truck" is a crossover.

What I found interesting is that it was definetely the third CUV that put Honda on top - the Element sold several thousand copies...that's enough volume to make anyone notice. I wonder if there is room for decidedly more "trucky" and "utilitarian" CUVs? Maybe a small, tall, & boxy C1-based CUV would do well for Ford? Slap a shiny three-bar grille on the front and give it a peppy MZR - it seems like that'd do well.

Scott

Honda may be the "greenest" out there - heck, even their "truck" is a crossover.

What I found interesting is that it was definetely the third CUV that put Honda on top - the Element sold several thousand copies...that's enough volume to make anyone notice. I wonder if there is room for decidedly more "trucky" and "utilitarian" CUVs? Maybe a small, tall, & boxy C1-based CUV would do well for Ford? Slap a shiny three-bar grille on the front and give it a peppy MZR - it seems like that'd do well.

Scott

Yea let's all laugh at Honda. Ha ha ha, what losers, eh?

Hey, Waymo: Did you add Mazda to Ford?

Why would he do that?

Ford does not own Mazda, They do not count Mazda's sales as Ford Sales, Just because Ford carries a lot of saying power in Mazda's desicions does not make Mazda's sales Fords. If Ford owned 100% of Mazda then the cade would change.

Should Toyota count Subaru in their sales then? Or Should GM have when they owned part of subaru and isuzu. Should GM count Suzuki?

Give it the above may not have as much control as Ford does over Mazda but none-the-less It would only make since to count Mazda's sales with Ford when Ford themselves count them together..............that will be when/if they own 100% of Mazda.

GM DOES report Isuzu sales.

And neither GM nor Toyota own controlling stakes in Isuzu, Suzuki, or Subaru.

And Mazda is just about as independent of Ford as Lithuania was independent of the USSR after WWII. Ford places the managers they want and recalls them when they want.

By RJ's logic, Ford develops the products and Mazda just slaps their badge on them. :finger:

Mazdas aren't Fords and the credit should go where it is due.

And as DCK pointed out, even Ford doesn't count Mazda sales as theirs.

Edited by pcsario

Why would he do that?

Ford does not own Mazda, They do not count Mazda's sales as Ford Sales, Just because Ford carries a lot of saying power in Mazda's desicions does not make Mazda's sales Fords. If Ford owned 100% of Mazda then the cade would change.

Should Toyota count Subaru in their sales then? Or Should GM have when they owned part of subaru and isuzu. Should GM count Suzuki?

Give it the above may not have as much control as Ford does over Mazda but none-the-less It would only make since to count Mazda's sales with Ford when Ford themselves count them together..............that will be when/if they own 100% of Mazda.

GM counts vehicles made by a Chinese affiliate and sold under a non-GM brand as part of GM's total world-wide sales.

Renault counts Nissan in their global totals even though Renault holds a 44% stake in Nissan.

Given that Ford has management control of Mazda, and that platforms and drivetrains are heavily integrated and that Mazdas are marketed through Ford's own global web page, Ford can easily claim Mazda falls under the Ford umbrella.

By RJ's logic, Ford develops the products and Mazda just slaps their badge on them. :finger:

By pcsario's logic, the Mazda Tribute and Mazda B-trucks are developed totally independently by Mazda and built in their own dedicated factories and just by coincidence, those vehicles just happen to look like rebadged Fords.

Completely coincidental.

:lol: