new ranger date?

blazerdude20

Just once, when you post your cryptic answers, it be nice if you had something to back it up. :rolleyes:

I know it would be nice ... but my insider information tells me that Ford is working with the F150 frame and is planning a new small truck based on that frame to be on sale in the fall of 2008.

If I am wrong, I am wrong, but that is the name of the game .. officially? yeah - there is no plan for a new Ranger, so it is dead after 2008.

Igor

Edited by igor

A Ranger riding on an F150 frame? Modified or not, its got to be much bigger than the current Ranger. I thought this was the F100 we have heard rumors about.

The Ranger is still the second best selling small truck behind the Tacoma, this should tell Ford there is still a market for the small pickup. I think they are making an assumption the reason the Tacoma outsells the Ranger is because its larger. And I believe this to be flawed logic. The reason the Tacoma sells more is because it hasn't been ignored.

Don't get me wrong, there is a market for an F 100, But an F 100 that gets 23 or 24 MPG is not the answer. They may as well hand the entire small truck market to Toyota.

Build a damn Ranger that gets a real 30 MPG and you'll sell a ton.

I personally cant believe that Ford is just to kill the Ranger and not replace it with something else. I cant believe they wont come out with some kind of midsize truck to replace it.

I agree that the reason why the Ranger has fallen is because Ford has ignored it for too long. GM, Toyota and Nissan have all upgraded and improved their small trucks whereas Ford has rolled out the same old Ranger year after year with only minor cosmetic tweaks. How do they expect to stay competitive like that?

Never thought Id say this, but if Ford doesnt get their act together there just might be a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon in my driveway in the near future. I like my F-150, but Im going to be in the market for something that is smaller and more fuel-efficient, but I still want the ability to haul light loads every now and then. If Ford doesnt make something that fits my needs, I will have no choice but to look elsewhere. Id prefer to stay with a domestic if I can, and from what Ive read on the Colorado/Canyon they look pretty impressive.

• 5 weeks later...
I know it would be nice ... but my insider information tells me that Ford is working with the F150 frame and is planning a new small truck based on that frame to be on sale in the fall of 2008.

If I am wrong, I am wrong, but that is the name of the game .. officially? yeah - there is no plan for a new Ranger, so it is dead after 2008.

Igor

I have my doubts Igor

Ford has a CAFE rating to maintain.

So even if they build the F100 they will work to equal or improve the avg CAFE rating for F100's gas mileage.

My guess is that the 4 cyl (I'm hoping for a stroked 2.3 DOHC up to 2.5L) (About 160HP in truck tune) will get equal gas mileage on the highway and slightly worse mileage in the city. If should also have a 6 speed automatic.

The top engine which is currently guessed to the 3.7ltr Duratech (265HP in truck tune) mated to the same 6 speed auto should get 2 mpg better than the 4.0 SOHC did across the board.

The 3.0 Duratech (200HP in truck tune) should get a slight milage improvement about 1 mpg.

Overall this lineup should improve Fords CAFE rating for the Ranger/F100 by about 1.5 mpg.

From what I understand, if Ford does what Ford usually does.... The F100 should be alot like the Nissan Frontier. Except instead of having the 4.0 VQ engine and a ok 5 speed. The F100 should have the 3.7L and a 6 speed.

At first I was annoyed at this, but I look at it this way. We will have reprogrammers available within a year. The 6 speed auto should have performance parts available a year from NOW.

So what ever Ford released , if it matches what I layed out above, should be able to be retuned with an additional 20HP along with tranny performance mods.

A 280-285HP 3.7L doesn t look so shabby in my book again assuming that the truck is similar in weight to the Frontier.

Edited by Mackintire