Issue with Dealer

Just got an email from the dealership. Here is the below reply so it looks like from what they are saying there is a law in CT stating they have to charge the fee.

"David wanted me to let you know about the Dealer Conveyance (Registration Processing) Fee. Connecticut's Attorney General made a ruling based on his interpretation of the Unfair Trade Practices Act. He deemed it Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practice for dealers to charge the fee to some customers and not to others; therefore a dealer must charge every customer or no customer the fee. Ford Motor Company's A-X-Z and D Plan programs state that we can not charge a conveyance fee, but State Law overrides Ford Motor Company. Because of this ruling, Ford Motor Company has allowed us to charge the Dealer Conveyance (Registration Processing) Fee."

If that were the case it would say that on the A/Z/D/X plan web sites. The law doesn't say that they have to charge anyone the fee (if that is indeed the law).

Just call the toll free A/Z/D/X plan number and ask them. They will force the dealer to comply with the rules.

Just got an email from the dealership. Here is the below reply so it looks like from what they are saying there is a law in CT stating they have to charge the fee.

"David wanted me to let you know about the Dealer Conveyance (Registration Processing) Fee. Connecticut's Attorney General made a ruling based on his interpretation of the Unfair Trade Practices Act. He deemed it Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practice for dealers to charge the fee to some customers and not to others; therefore a dealer must charge every customer or no customer the fee. Ford Motor Company's A-X-Z and D Plan programs state that we can not charge a conveyance fee, but State Law overrides Ford Motor Company. Because of this ruling, Ford Motor Company has allowed us to charge the Dealer Conveyance (Registration Processing) Fee."

Hi blwnsmoke. I did some quick and dirty research, and below I have copied and pasted the Connecticut law they are referring to. I read it over briefly, and unless I missed something, it says no such thing. Provide a copy of this law to them, and ask them to point out where it states what they claim. Ask them to provide you a printing of any more recent Connecticut law or ruling, which supersedes this information (perhaps I (and Ford) missed something, doubt it, but possible). Unfortunately, I have a feeling at that point, they will become hostile.

This is where they have you over a barrel: You signed and agreed to buy the vehicle at that price. I wish you had taken our advice, and not bought from a Dealership that dealt dishonestly from the start. It is always harder to get your money back after they have it. I think your only recourse may be through Ford, and even their control over what the Dealership does is somewhat limited by Franchise Laws. Ford even states that in their A/X/Z Plan literature. They ask that we the buyer be educated to the rules, and refuse any deal that does not follow the rules. Our power as a buyer lies in the ability to get up and walk out if we are being dealt with dishonestly. I also called A/X/Z Plan Headquarters, and they know of no such ruling in Connecticut, or any other State. Their stance is "NO DOCUMENTATION FEES ALLOWED" under Plan rules. Unfortunately, they also say, again, that they do not have the resources to check every sale, so the buyer must be informed, and stand up for their rights! In fact, the rep asked me why you don't just go to another Dealer, to which I told her it was too late, you already purchased. Her reply to that was, "Oh boy, that can be a problem."

I know it was not easy for you to walk out, considering the distance and availability of the vehicle you wanted, and I feel very bad for for you, and the position you are now in. I think the Dealer knew that, and knew they had you over a barrel.

The law describes how the Dealer must prominently display the fees they charge, that it must be preprinted (in 10 point bold face type!) on the Invoice and Purchase Contract, and other rules meant to protect the buyer.

In point of fact, it even states, for example, that if the fee helps to pay for a "runner" to bring your papers to the DMV for processing, that the buyer can perform that service himself, and the Dealer must deduct those charges from the fee.

Essentially, the Dealer is using some "Creative Interpretation" to claim that since they are required by State Law to print the fee on the contract, that they are required to charge it. That is not what the law says. The Dealer can put a line through that charge at any time, for any buyer. They can vary the fee from buyer to buyer. They can charge or not charge it. They just have to disclose it, preprinted, on the contract. Stating that it must be disclosed on the contract, does not mean it must be charged.

Here is the law, directly copied and pasted. Sorry for the length, but I thought it would be better to give you the entire law.

STATE OF CONNECTICUT

AMENDMENT

LCO No. 8595

General Assembly

January Session, A.D., 1997

Offered by SEN. PENN, 23rd DIST.

SEN. CIOTTO, 9th DIST.

To Subst. Senate Bill No. 427 File No. 194 Cal No. 167

Entitled: "AN ACT REQUIRING DISCLOSURE OF THE DEALER PROCESSING

FEE."

Strike out everything after the enacting clause and

substitute the following in lieu thereof:

"Section 1. Section 14-62 of the general statutes is repealed

and the following is substituted in lieu thereof:

(a) Each sale shall be evidenced by an order properly signed

by both the buyer and seller, a copy of which shall be furnished

to the buyer when executed, and an invoice upon delivery of the

motor vehicle, both of which shall contain the following

information: (1) Make of vehicle; (2) year of model, whether sold

as new or used, and on invoice the identification number; (3)

deposit, and (A) if the deposit is not refundable, the words "No

Refund of Deposit" shall appear at this point, and (B) if the

deposit is conditionally refundable, the words "Conditional

Refund of Deposit" shall appear at this point, followed by a

statement giving the conditions for refund, and © if the

deposit is unconditionally refundable, the words "Unconditional

Refund" shall appear at this point; (4) cash selling price; (5)

finance charges, and (A) if these charges do not include

insurance, the words "No Insurance" shall appear at this point,

and (B) if these charges include insurance, a statement shall

appear at this point giving the exact type of coverage; (6)

allowance on motor vehicle traded in, if any, and description of

the same; (7) stamped or printed in a size equal to at least

ten-point bold type on the face of both order and invoice one of

the following forms: (A) "This motor vehicle not guaranteed", or

(B) "This motor vehicle is guaranteed", followed by a statement

as to the terms of such guarantee, which statement shall not

apply to household furnishings of any trailer; (8) if the motor

vehicle is new but has been subject to use by the seller or use

in connection with his business as a dealer, the word

"demonstrator" shall be clearly displayed on the face of both

order and invoice; (9) ANY DEALER CONVEYANCE FEE AND A STATEMENT

THAT SUCH FEE IS NOT PAYABLE TO THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT PRINTED

IN AT LEAST TEN-POINT BOLD TYPE ON THE FACE OF BOTH ORDER AND

INVOICE. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SUBDIVISION, "DEALER CONVEYANCE

FEE" MEANS A REASONABLE FEE CHARGED BY A DEALER FOR PROCESSING

ALL DOCUMENTATION AND PERFORMING SERVICES RELATIVE TO THE CLOSING

OF A SALE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE REGISTRATION AND

TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP OF THE MOTOR VEHICLE WHICH IS THE SUBJECT

OF THE SALE.

(B) No dealer shall include in the selling price a dealer

preparation charge for any item or service for which he is

reimbursed by the manufacturer or any item or service not

specifically ordered by the buyer and itemized on the invoice.

© EACH DEALER SHALL PROVIDE A WRITTEN STATEMENT TO THE

BUYER OR PROMINENTLY DISPLAY A SIGN IN THE AREA OF HIS PLACE OF

BUSINESS IN WHICH SALES ARE NEGOTIATED WHICH SHALL SPECIFY THE

AMOUNT OF ANY CONVEYANCE FEE CHARGED BY SUCH DEALER, THE SERVICES

PERFORMED BY THE DEALER FOR SUCH FEE, THAT SUCH FEE IS NOT

PAYABLE TO THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT AND THAT THE BUYER MAY ELECT,

WHERE APPROPRIATE, TO SUBMIT THE DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED FOR THE

REGISTRATION AND TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP OF THE MOTOR VEHICLE WHICH

IS THE SUBJECT OF THE SALE TO THE COMMISSIONER OF MOTOR VEHICLES,

IN WHICH CASE THE DEALER SHALL REDUCE SUCH FEE BY A PROPORTIONAL

AMOUNT. THE COMMISSIONER OF MOTOR VEHICLES SHALL DETERMINE THE

SIZE, TYPEFACE AND ARRANGEMENT OF SUCH INFORMATION.

[©] (d) No used car dealer licensed under the provisions of

section 14-52 shall sell any used motor vehicle without

furnishing to the buyer, at the time of sale, a valid certificate

of title, the assignment and warranty of title by such dealer or

other evidence of title issued by another state or country, where

applicable, disclosing the existence of any lien, security

interest in or other encumbrance on the vehicle.

Sec. 2. Subsection (a) of section 14-62a of the general

statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu

thereof:

(a) No [new car] dealer [, as defined by section 14-51,]

LICENSED UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 14-52 shall advertise

the price of any motor vehicle unless the stated price in such

advertisement includes the federal tax, the cost of delivery,

dealer preparation and any other charges of any nature [, except]

AND SUCH ADVERTISEMENT STATES IN AT LEAST EIGHT-POINT BOLD TYPE

THAT any state or local tax, [or] registration fees OR DEALER

CONVEYANCE FEE, AS DEFINED IN SUBSECTION (a) OF SECTION 14-62, AS

AMENDED BY SECTION 1 OF THIS ACT, IS EXCLUDED FROM SUCH STATED

PRICE."

PS - The smiley icons in the law text are not mine. The code for the icons must coincidentally be the same as what is contained in the law text. Go figure!

Edited by bbf2530

I'm not asking for legal advice.. but I'm debating on contesting the charge on my CC. I had my truck inspected today (NH law) and asked if they could find the VIN etching. We walked around the truck and still there is no VIN etching so it's not just me being blind.

I know I can contest it with my CC company.. paying for services that I never received..

I'd prefer for them to come after me which i'm not sure if they would being they know they are in the wrong.. I could also contest the $299 doc fee as I paid them $500 for the two of them without any signature on my CC authorization slip.

I don't want to resort to this.. but I'm thinking it's the only way.

I'm waiting to see if the attorney general calls me back...

Ps - Did I mention I love this truck?? lol

I'm not asking for legal advice.. but I'm debating on contesting the charge on my CC. I had my truck inspected today (NH law) and asked if they could find the VIN etching. We walked around the truck and still there is no VIN etching so it's not just me being blind.

I know I can contest it with my CC company.. paying for services that I never received..

I'd prefer for them to come after me which i'm not sure if they would being they know they are in the wrong.. I could also contest the $299 doc fee as I paid them $500 for the two of them without any signature on my CC authorization slip.

I don't want to resort to this.. but I'm thinking it's the only way.

I'm waiting to see if the attorney general calls me back...

Ps - Did I mention I love this truck?? lol

Hi blwnsmoke! :hysterical: Well, at least you are maintaining your sense of humor, and love the truck!

Contesting the VIN etching with your Credit Card Company is certainly a viable option, as far as the etching goes.

When notified by the CC Co., I am sure the Dealer will try to get you to return the truck to have it done (I'm sure it is now a battle of wills to them, they want your $199 plus tax!). Inform the CC Co. you have no interest in returning, due to the fact you were forced into accepting it in the first place (you never wanted the etching), the distance you would need to travel, and the dishonest practices of the Dealership.

Concerning the "Documentation Fee", continuing to pressure the Dealership, contacting the Attorney General for an answer, and contacting Ford are probably your best bets. Legally, I don't know if you could get the CC Co. to stand behind you as far as a denial of payment on the $299. Always worth a try though.

Good luck, and I hope you win! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

bbf.. thanks for all your feedback on this. I have to have a good sense of humor.. Here's how I look at it.. It's not costing me anything to battle this financially.. I can't really lose anything more.. only gain so I'm in it for the long haul.

I just went to my bank.. Talked to a very nice woman.. explained how I was charged for a service that was never done.. I have an email saying it hasn't been done when I requested pictures of the work.. and I have had it verified by an indepenant mechanic that there is no vin etching.

I also explained about the fee.. I had put down $500.. I am disputing $498 which is the $299 plus $199. I want to be fair and not dispute the full $500 as they are owed the $2 difference.

The dispute has been made.. the paperwork has been signed. My bank is going to reimburse me the funds while the investigation is done and will contact me with the results.

Lastly, the bank employee couldn't agree more with what I did.. she said she'd do the same thing. In the event that there is some law out there that I have to pay this fee, I will gladly pay it. Until then, I'm done dealing with the dealership. With the AG, BBB and my bank, I will see how it works out. Should have the funds in my account next week.

Now I'm curious on whether the dealership will contact me.. they can't avoid me anymore. It's pretty disturbing that the GM/owner told the internet manager to email me. After the long email I sent him, the message I left on his answering machine.. he decides to have someone ELSE EMAIL me.

There can be 3 outcomes with this

1) I get the money back and it gets taken out of the dealerships account

2) I get the money back and the dealerships bank eats the $498 (depends on how much business the dealership does will determine this)

3) The reversal gets reversed. The dealership wins and they pull the money back out of my account.

If anyone else can find anything on CT law regarding this, I'd appreciate them chiming in.

PS - I hope they aren't expecting all "completely satisfied" on the survey.

Edited by blwnsmoke

PS - I hope they aren't expecting all "completely satisfied" on the survey.

You are welcome, blwnsmoke. :D I hope I was able to help, if even in some small way. It certainly looks like you have covered most of your bases, so, as you say, it is a waiting game now. Their move.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you obtain a full refund when all is said and done. :beerchug:

Please keep us updated!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi blwnsmoke. I did some quick and dirty research, and below I have copied and pasted the Connecticut law they are referring to. I read it over briefly, and unless I missed something, it says no such thing. Provide a copy of this law to them, and ask them to point out where it states what they claim. Ask them to provide you a printing of any more recent Connecticut law or ruling, which supersedes this information (perhaps I (and Ford) missed something, doubt it, but possible). Unfortunately, I have a feeling at that point, they will become hostile.

This is where they have you over a barrel: You signed and agreed to buy the vehicle at that price. I wish you had taken our advice, and not bought from a Dealership that dealt dishonestly from the start. It is always harder to get your money back after they have it. I think your only recourse may be through Ford, and even their control over what the Dealership does is somewhat limited by Franchise Laws. Ford even states that in their A/X/Z Plan literature. They ask that we the buyer be educated to the rules, and refuse any deal that does not follow the rules. Our power as a buyer lies in the ability to get up and walk out if we are being dealt with dishonestly. I also called A/X/Z Plan Headquarters, and they know of no such ruling in Connecticut, or any other State. Their stance is "NO DOCUMENTATION FEES ALLOWED" under Plan rules. Unfortunately, they also say, again, that they do not have the resources to check every sale, so the buyer must be informed, and stand up for their rights! In fact, the rep asked me why you don't just go to another Dealer, to which I told her it was too late, you already purchased. Her reply to that was, "Oh boy, that can be a problem."

I know it was not easy for you to walk out, considering the distance and availability of the vehicle you wanted, and I feel very bad for for you, and the position you are now in. I think the Dealer knew that, and knew they had you over a barrel.

The law describes how the Dealer must prominently display the fees they charge, that it must be preprinted (in 10 point bold face type!) on the Invoice and Purchase Contract, and other rules meant to protect the buyer.

In point of fact, it even states, for example, that if the fee helps to pay for a "runner" to bring your papers to the DMV for processing, that the buyer can perform that service himself, and the Dealer must deduct those charges from the fee.

Essentially, the Dealer is using some "Creative Interpretation" to claim that since they are required by State Law to print the fee on the contract, that they are required to charge it. That is not what the law says. The Dealer can put a line through that charge at any time, for any buyer. They can vary the fee from buyer to buyer. They can charge or not charge it. They just have to disclose it, preprinted, on the contract. Stating that it must be disclosed on the contract, does not mean it must be charged.

Here is the law, directly copied and pasted. Sorry for the length, but I thought it would be better to give you the entire law.

STATE OF CONNECTICUT

AMENDMENT

LCO No. 8595

General Assembly

SEN. CIOTTO, 9th DIST.

FEE."

Strike out everything after the enacting clause and

substitute the following in lieu thereof:

"Section 1. Section 14-62 of the general statutes is repealed

and the following is substituted in lieu thereof:

(a) Each sale shall be evidenced by an order properly signed

by both the buyer and seller, a copy of which shall be furnished

to the buyer when executed, and an invoice upon delivery of the

motor vehicle, both of which shall contain the following

information: (1) Make of vehicle; (2) year of model, whether sold

as new or used, and on invoice the identification number; (3)

deposit, and (A) if the deposit is not refundable, the words "No

Refund of Deposit" shall appear at this point, and (B) if the

deposit is conditionally refundable, the words "Conditional

Refund of Deposit" shall appear at this point, followed by a

statement giving the conditions for refund, and © if the

deposit is unconditionally refundable, the words "Unconditional

Refund" shall appear at this point; (4) cash selling price; (5)

finance charges, and (A) if these charges do not include

insurance, the words "No Insurance" shall appear at this point,

and (B) if these charges include insurance, a statement shall

appear at this point giving the exact type of coverage; (6)

allowance on motor vehicle traded in, if any, and description of

the same; (7) stamped or printed in a size equal to at least

ten-point bold type on the face of both order and invoice one of

the following forms: (A) "This motor vehicle not guaranteed", or

(B) "This motor vehicle is guaranteed", followed by a statement

as to the terms of such guarantee, which statement shall not

apply to household furnishings of any trailer; (8) if the motor

vehicle is new but has been subject to use by the seller or use

in connection with his business as a dealer, the word

"demonstrator" shall be clearly displayed on the face of both

order and invoice; (9) ANY DEALER CONVEYANCE FEE AND A STATEMENT

THAT SUCH FEE IS NOT PAYABLE TO THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT PRINTED

IN AT LEAST TEN-POINT BOLD TYPE ON THE FACE OF BOTH ORDER AND

INVOICE. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SUBDIVISION, "DEALER CONVEYANCE

FEE" MEANS A REASONABLE FEE CHARGED BY A DEALER FOR PROCESSING

ALL DOCUMENTATION AND PERFORMING SERVICES RELATIVE TO THE CLOSING

OF A SALE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE REGISTRATION AND

TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP OF THE MOTOR VEHICLE WHICH IS THE SUBJECT

OF THE SALE.

(B) No dealer shall include in the selling price a dealer

preparation charge for any item or service for which he is

reimbursed by the manufacturer or any item or service not

specifically ordered by the buyer and itemized on the invoice.

© EACH DEALER SHALL PROVIDE A WRITTEN STATEMENT TO THE

[©] (d) No used car dealer licensed under the provisions of

section 14-52 shall sell any used motor vehicle without

furnishing to the buyer, at the time of sale, a valid certificate

of title, the assignment and warranty of title by such dealer or

other evidence of title issued by another state or country, where

applicable, disclosing the existence of any lien, security

interest in or other encumbrance on the vehicle.

Sec. 2. Subsection (a) of section 14-62a of the general

statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu

thereof:

(a) No [new car] dealer [, as defined by section 14-51,]

LICENSED UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 14-52 shall advertise

the price of any motor vehicle unless the stated price in such

advertisement includes the federal tax, the cost of delivery,

dealer preparation and any other charges of any nature [, except]

AND SUCH ADVERTISEMENT STATES IN AT LEAST EIGHT-POINT BOLD TYPE

THAT any state or local tax, [or] registration fees OR DEALER

CONVEYANCE FEE, AS DEFINED IN SUBSECTION (a) OF SECTION 14-62, AS

AMENDED BY SECTION 1 OF THIS ACT, IS EXCLUDED FROM SUCH STATED

PRICE."

PS - The smiley icons in the law text are not mine. The code for the icons must coincidentally be the same as what is contained in the law text. Go figure!

I don't know about CT law but the law in our State states that if you charge a doc fee then you must charge the fee to all customers. You don't have to charge a fee, but if you do, then you have to charge it all customers.

I also know the fees are different in different States. In our State the fee is regulated to where you can only charge a certain amount. It is $57 in our State.

As for not charging the doc fee on plan sales, there is a reason for that. Ford includes the fee in the dealer commission paid. That is why Ford prohibits charging a doc fee on any plan fees. It is because Ford is paying the fee back to the dealer which Ford has calculated into the commission to reimburse the dealer for the fee.

But I think the amount Ford figures for the fee is $75. So I don't know how that would figure in for States where the fees are higher than $75. If Ford doesn't compensate enough to cover the full amount of the fee then I would suspect the dealer should be able to charge the difference in order to be in compliance with State law.

So one thing the dealer said as far as State law supercedes what Ford says would be correct. Ford can not make a dealer break any State laws. So if the law requires that if a dealer charges one customer a fee then they must charge the fee to all customers then the dealer would be correct, with the exception of where they should have deducted the amount that Ford pays the dealer for the fee, which I think is the same for any State. I'm pretty sure it was $75 that Ford allows which has been added to the dealer commission.

I just checked and it is $75

Here are some things to know that are stated in the plan rules:

Document Fees

The dealership cannot charge separately for document preparation or other administrative services incidental to the delivery of the vehicle. These expenses are considered to be part of the dealer's normal cost of doing business for which the dealership is compensated by the commission paid.

For those living in states where state law requires dealers to assess fees on a vehicle purchase to all customers, dealers should indicate documentation fees have been paid by Ford Motor Company as part of the AXZD-Plan Program dealer reimbursement on the buyer's order.

Other Fees

Dealerships may not charge a dealer trade fee or any other additional transportation costs to the customer.

Dealerships may not charge vehicle preparation fees.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update.

The DMV responded back basically with an automated message giving me a link to file a complaint.

I never heard back from the Attorney General regarding the email I sent him.

I did receive a BBB response saying they approve my complaint and forwarding it to the dealership. The dealership replied back about 1 1/2 weeks ago (I was on my honeymoon and got back yesterday so I was not able to check till then) stating that their "service department might have overlooked it and if they did indeed, they will refund me the $199 for the VIN etching" So I'm at least going to get the $199 back

In regards to the $299 fee, they stated essentially that again, they AG has made law that they are to charge everyone the fee and that they can't waive it. They also stated that they have told me this time and time again.. that they "hold customer satisfaction in the highest reguard" and have gone "above and beyond" essentially what they needed to do.

I wrote back stating that I accept the $199 refund and I would agree to drop the rest frankly because I want to move on from this. My bank has refunded me the $500 while the dispute is going on however I will tell them to cancel the dispute once they refund me the money. I stated the following in my response:

"In regards to going "above and beyond", and that you "hold customer satisfaction in the highest reguard" seems far fetched in this instance.

Covering up paint chips, writing an email which I took offense to, stated so in a reply and no reply back, having my email ignored by the general manager, the phone call and message I left on the GM's answering system ignored, being lied to about the VIN etching after inquiring about it while you had possesion of my truck for 7 days to fix those paint chips, requesting a refund of the VIN etching while you had it only to have that be refused and have the etching still not performed. I fail to see where "going above and beyond" and "hold customer satisfaction in the highest reguard"

In regards to the $299 doc fee, you may have told me this many, many times (3), however with all the above issues, I have a hard time believing this. I have not been able to find any law through phone calls placed and internet research. With 3 phone calls to FORD, not one person is aware of this law and continues to state I am owed this back depsite you saying FORD has allowed you to charge this fee. In fact, FORD reimburses $75 for documentation with Xplan pricing so you've collected $299 + $75. With the research I have done, the only related law I could find is as follows:

STATE OF CONNECTICUT

AMENDMENT

LCO No. 8595

General Assembly

SEN. CIOTTO, 9th DIST.

FEE."

and the only paragraph that I believe pertains to this is:

EACH DEALER SHALL PROVIDE A WRITTEN STATEMENT TO THE

I am understanding this as that if I'm getting charged the fee, I should not be charged the whole amount since I am registering it and transferring the registration with the state of NH on my own, not the dealership.

However, I agree to move on and close this issue with the $199 refund.

Hey blwnsmoke! :D

Well, I am glad you were at least able to obtain a partial refund of the money owed you. I think you have been a complete gentleman, and reasonable throughout the entire ordeal.

I wish you the best of luck with your new truck, and hope the rest of your experience is a pleasant one!

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

Just a minor update. I received a survey in the mail from Ford regarding my purchase experience lmao. It's as if they were just asking for it.

I was completely honest and gave good scores for the things that I liked and bad scores for the issues I had with the dealership. I then left my comments at the end regarding the dealership, the fees and how I have contacted the BBB.

Two days later Ford called me regarding my survey, left a message stating that they have documented what I wrote and gave me a case number. She then stated to call back if I want to discuss it further.

I wrote it down but haven't called back yet. I will call back probably tomorrow to talk to them about it.

Do you guys think I'm wasting my time to call and ask if they'd be willing to refund the $299? I know the money didn't go to them.. but I see they are now offering $6k in rebates on 2007's and I got $4k. Being they are offering $2k more, I would hope that they would say as a good gesture we'll refund the $299.

Now I'm not holding my breath.. but just a thought.